mlow44

DefaultThe Exterminator

So after several deaths and far more tactical retreats, I've finally finished "The Exterminator." I gotta ask... what the hell is with the aggro on the mobs in that area??? I attack one and suddenly groups from about 60 meters away start running towards me... my record was 9 mobs on me at once, but far too often I had 6 or so attacking me, and it was really just luck when i managed to kill a couple before the group took me down.

Is this a bug? An oversight? Or is it a terrible, terrible game mechanic for this particular quest?

Also, warn me now if any other quests in this game do this, because then I would like to uninstall asap to save myself further embarrassment and frustration...

siegedeluxe

You quit at the first sight of challenge?

JeffChambers

There is something odd about the way those Ak'ab behave, and it's most noticable when I use my "Raging Volcano" ability. This is an ability that damages enemies within 10 meters of me and displays a fiery chain linking us: in that particular part of the world, I'll get "extra chains" extending to some distant target and this will lead to distant mobs running me down. Fortunately, I've reached a stage where I can handle them, but it does make the going a bit harder.

The best I can figure is that it's something to do with those Brood Marks I see all over the place. I'm hypothesising tjhat when I attack certain mobs it's triggering some sort of connection with the brood mark which is aggroing everything around it. But I could be completely wrong.

I also suffer this slightly annoying thing where none of my blast attacks can seem to hit the big destructible hives, so I have to wait for Raging Volcano to recharge in order to be able to take them out.

Divah

I am glad to see I am not the only one who had the issue lol. I would Go in and start killing to find 4 more running toward me.

I was getting a bit frustrated when a group of 7 jumped me. I was wondering just where in the heck they came from. I thought I was carefull in killing far enough out to not aggro….but nooooooo I killed what I could and started running the rest off my squishy tushy. I was laughing by this time and just when I thought I lost them and my health returned to green ….. I ran into the king's guard or something with that name. I seen crown and skull before the lights went out.

Take two… I run this time a bit more carefully all I needed now was the 2 hives. …. I found one with a few mobs around it. I Plucked off the few that I knew I would aggro and went to town in killing the hive……. so I thought... The "*itch" won't die all my skills say outta range. I was right on top of it. I finally found a sweet spot or got lucky and just as it was going down that King guy was on me…Where the hell did he come from… I managed to kill the hive right before I died…..

Take 3: I found a hive killed mobs and all went off pretty easy that time…..went skipping on my way out of the woods.

As frustrated as I was, in the end those wonky monsters gave me a good laugh. I think I will just go beat up on some zombies for a few more ap points before I go in to those woods to get revenge.

Natjur

The Ak'ab sentinels now all carry cellphones. If you hit one, it quickly phones a friend, who in turn phones a friend who in turn.....

You get the idea, they all come in from miles away to say hi in their own special way. Which is great if you have an AOE build and want to get your kill count up.

Bad for anything else.

On another note, check the name of the hives, there are two types. One is normal, and will spawn only a few little adds when hit.

The other is royal and will pop royal pain in the ass mobs on you.

mlow44

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegedeluxe View Post
You quit at the first sight of challenge?
no, i quit when i realize a game is trolling me... "challenge" doesn't really describe this quest. like i said before, i could usually only get 2 (maybe 3, if the others spent enough time running towards me) out of a group of 6 or 7. i was really lucky when i managed to pull only 4 at a time, and that was a fair enough fight that i could manage to win, even if just barely.

mlow44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divah View Post
Take two… I run this time a bit more carefully all I needed now was the 2 hives. …. I found one with a few mobs around it. I Plucked off the few that I knew I would aggro and went to town in killing the hive……. so I thought... The "*itch" won't die all my skills say outta range. I was right on top of it. I finally found a sweet spot or got lucky and just as it was going down that King guy was on me…Where the hell did he come from… I managed to kill the hive right before I died…..
i had trouble with ability range on the hives, too. finally i found the combination of jumping while using AoEs to be effective. i did the same thing as you though, narrowly managed to destroy my last hive before a group of mobs overwhelmed me. i just wanted the damn quest over with lol

wonkeysmoker

To be honest either it is a completely retarded mechanic. I am ql4. quest is listed as normal. specced for tanking and even with a healer it is insanely difficuly. The mobs must be bugged. hit one aoe at the hive and 10 mobs come running.

If the idea of a challenge is to make people emo rage this quest wins. It is harder than any group in the 5 mans i have seen so far.

Khaer

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=51527

It isn't every sentry, but either a couple of them or something about their location brings sentries charging in from the entire area, as if they're linked. I ran into this (yet again) yesterday and noticed that the sentry was right beside one of the totem-things that they guard, so after running for my life several times I killed the totem thing, which didn't draw agro, and then attacked the sentry. It made not a blind bit of difference, I had to run for my life again.

This is not, it is absolutely not, simply not checking the area. The mobs are running from way outside normal agro range - from beyond being visible, even. I think it only broke in 1.1 though, or at any rate since only late July. My first two times through the area I had no trouble with them at all. Now I have trouble surviving in QL6/7.