Reply
Thread Tools

Xruptor

Xruptor's Avatar

I wonder if Windows 8 users are getting any memory errors. I personally don't have it installed but if they aren't getting affected, well that's a good sign. I'm seeing less and less mention of memory issues or concerns on the forum. (I have windows 7 64bit) Which leads me to believe that the issue may have subsided a great deal. I currently do have plans to return but I want to make sure that the memory leak and or memory errors have been resolved before I do so. Honestly, I don't want to go back to a game I can only play for an hour before it crashes. This is what was happening to be before. Especially since it was confirmed that it didn't like BitDefender. (Something about injecting code or memory resources in to the client that caused it to crash at a specific point.)

Garbage

Garbage's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor View Post
I wonder if Windows 8 users are getting any memory errors. I personally don't have it installed but if they aren't getting affected, well that's a good sign. I'm seeing less and less mention of memory issues or concerns on the forum. (I have windows 7 64bit) Which leads me to believe that the issue may have subsided a great deal. I currently do have plans to return but I want to make sure that the memory leak and or memory errors have been resolved before I do so. Honestly, I don't want to go back to a game I can only play for an hour before it crashes. This is what was happening to be before. Especially since it was confirmed that it didn't like BitDefender. (Something about injecting code or memory resources in to the client that caused it to crash at a specific point.)
Far as I know the 64bit OS users has got rid from the "Out of Memory" crashing if they ever had any of that. I personally never ever crashed to Out of Memory. But I read there was some point a bug in the code which caused 64bit systems to crash too or it was in some special conditions, like you mentioned that BitDefender.

I have used now around 2 months Windows 8 and I had no problems with it excluding little lower performance than in Win 7 which should be fixed in upcoming driver updates I hope. If you had problems with BitDefender + TSW I guess it has not gone anywhere, but its still there. You should tweak the BitDefender so that it excludes TSW from scanning/real-time protection.

32bit systems still suffers from OOM crashing. Not matter if you running XP, Vista, 7, 8 or Linux 32bit OS as all those has same memory limitation because 32bit architecture. Some people are managed to squeeze their memory usage so that TSW has room to run in limited 32bit address space and Funcom also has tweaked the code, but problem is still there and won't go away.

Xruptor

Xruptor's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage View Post
Far as I know the 64bit OS users has got rid from the "Out of Memory" crashing if they ever had any of that. I personally never ever crashed to Out of Memory. But I read there was some point a bug in the code which caused 64bit systems to crash too or it was in some special conditions, like you mentioned that BitDefender.

I have used now around 2 months Windows 8 and I had no problems with it excluding little lower performance than in Win 7 which should be fixed in upcoming driver updates I hope. If you had problems with BitDefender + TSW I guess it has not gone anywhere, but its still there. You should tweak the BitDefender so that it excludes TSW from scanning/real-time protection.

32bit systems still suffers from OOM crashing. Not matter if you running XP, Vista, 7, 8 or Linux 32bit OS as all those has same memory limitation because 32bit architecture. Some people are managed to squeeze their memory usage so that TSW has room to run in limited 32bit address space and Funcom also has tweaked the code, but problem is still there and won't go away.
Ah that's good to hear. Thanks for the heads up Garbage

dirlettia

dirlettia's Avatar

I had 32 bit OOM crashes which due to various measures with detail settings, and reinstalling RDB files and the like I managed to pretty much get over, but now I went and upgraded to 64bit windows I seem to crash very often when I try and exit the program.

Still at least I can play properly.

Garbage

Garbage's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlettia View Post
I had 32 bit OOM crashes which due to various measures with detail settings, and reinstalling RDB files and the like I managed to pretty much get over, but now I went and upgraded to 64bit windows I seem to crash very often when I try and exit the program.

Still at least I can play properly.
Good you got rid from the OOM crashes!

I don't know what is problem with Funcom, but its been like 5 years in their earlier product Age of Conan where this similar crashing after closing game happens. AoC is based same game engine as TSW. I also noticed crashing in TSW time to time when I close the game. I think this comes and goes for pretty much every player in game...

Xruptor

Xruptor's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlettia View Post
I had 32 bit OOM crashes which due to various measures with detail settings, and reinstalling RDB files and the like I managed to pretty much get over, but now I went and upgraded to 64bit windows I seem to crash very often when I try and exit the program.

Still at least I can play properly.
The crash after closing the client is actually quite common. Not sure why they haven't been able to fix this. Seems like it crashes while trying to free up all the resources or something.

In anycase at least it crashes only after you exit the game instead of during the game. I'm glad things worked out for you with the 64bit.

stolengun

stolengun's Avatar

In my three years in AoC and the months since EA in TSW, I've never once experienced a crash on exit

Come to think of it, now that I typed that I bet it'll crash on my next time I play...
But what weight had the dreams of mystics against the harsh wisdom of the world?

Aled "Lachann" Cadeyrn

Xruptor

Xruptor's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolengun View Post
In my three years in AoC and the months since EA in TSW, I've never once experienced a crash on exit

Come to think of it, now that I typed that I bet it'll crash on my next time I play...
*wiggles his fingers and puts a voodoo curse on Stolengun so that his client crashes on exit the next time he plays*

*chuckles evily and fades back into the shadows*

Threemoons

Threemoons's Avatar

SnowGlobe--yes, they should have some mechanism available so that you don't have to reinstall an OS just to play a game!

FWIW the crashes also seem related to server load; I sometimes play at odd hours and have fewer issues...

Kozmik

Kozmik's Avatar

I have Win7 64bit and are getting OOM crashes only when fighting dungeon bosses. Though i do get them when i shut the game down from time to time too.

After reading the posts above i will try tweaking Bitdefender as i didn't realise it was causing any issues. Hopefully that is all it is!!
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.