eodx9000

DefaultAdvice on Build

I feel I badly screwed up on a run tonight, my first Darkness War instance. I thought if I went in as healer I wouldn't too bad and maybe it'd work better than going in on my solo build. Part of it because I feel I screwed up on my build between Solomon & Blue Mountain changing as often as I did to experiment. Long-term, I know I'll eventually want these skills/points/etc., as well. It's a conundrum.

When I started, I was AR/Chaos. After a while, I felt range just wasn't my thing. SO, I tried Chaos/Sword, only to realize it simply wasn't working - I was dying too much. Then I started to use Blood/Sword. I'm getting into the swing of it, but I'm unsure of what to do with what I do have and after tonight I've been seriously pondering about my build more than before, which is what brings me here because I need something to solo with effectively & likewise something to party effectively using.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Setyanna

That's my character & thanks for any help.
“Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” - Soren Kierkegaard

"Civilized people are taught by logic, barbarians, by necessity, communities by tradition; and the lesson inculcated even in wild beasts by nature itself. They learn that they have to defend their own bodies and persons lives from violence of any and every kind by all means within their power." - Cicero

theHavok

Tells me your profile is private. Based off what you've said so far though, AR/Blood is a very effective build for healing instances. There's a guide for it in the character builds sticky up top, it's called Bloody Assault. I use it to dungeon heal and with a few minor changes I use it to solo effectively as well.

eodx9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHavok View Post
Tells me your profile is private. Based off what you've said so far though, AR/Blood is a very effective build for healing instances. There's a guide for it in the character builds sticky up top, it's called Bloody Assault. I use it to dungeon heal and with a few minor changes I use it to solo effectively as well.
Apologies, I thought it wasn't private. Try again.

As for AR/Blood, I just find range isn't my niche.
“Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” - Soren Kierkegaard

"Civilized people are taught by logic, barbarians, by necessity, communities by tradition; and the lesson inculcated even in wild beasts by nature itself. They learn that they have to defend their own bodies and persons lives from violence of any and every kind by all means within their power." - Cicero

Luxian

solo:
Sword and chaos have decent damage reduction and self-healing.
Martial Discipline + its passive = reducing incoming damage by glancing, and healing yourself
Illusion = reducing incoming damage
Resilient defender = every evade/glance/block gives you heal

Just remember to put on some healing talismans During solo you should have about 3-4k hp, 50-50 AR to HR ratio. Maybe even get a bit more HR so you survive more.

party:
In a party, you want to perform your role as good as you can. So no splitting talismans and no splitting abilities. For healing, you want all passives to help your actives. Passives from any weapon trees can be used whether you have the weapon or not.

AR = attack rating
HR = heal rating

eodx9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxian View Post
solo:
Sword and chaos have decent damage reduction and self-healing.
Martial Discipline + its passive = reducing incoming damage by glancing, and healing yourself
Illusion = reducing incoming damage
Resilient defender = every evade/glance/block gives you heal

Just remember to put on some healing talismans During solo you should have about 3-4k hp, 50-50 AR to HR ratio. Maybe even get a bit more HR so you survive more.

party:
In a party, you want to perform your role as good as you can. So no splitting talismans and no splitting abilities. For healing, you want all passives to help your actives. Passives from any weapon trees can be used whether you have the weapon or not.

AR = attack rating
HR = heal rating
Interesting, 3k to 4k HP? So for the time being, would you say I should make Major Talisman my SP priority?

Luxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodx9000 View Post
Interesting, 3k to 4k HP? So for the time being, would you say I should make Major Talisman my SP priority?
You should level up your main weapon and 3 talismans equally. With green talismans you should have no problem to reach 3k hp.

eodx9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxian View Post
You should level up your main weapon and 3 talismans equally. With green talismans you should have no problem to reach 3k hp.
I see.

I guess my next question would be, is Affliction or Impairment more desiring for party play if I weren't going to main-heal?

(Edit: actually, something else that bothers me, can just any of the builder attacks cause penetration?)
Last edited by eodx9000; 02-03-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Luxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodx9000 View Post
I see.

I guess my next question would be, is Affliction or Impairment more desiring for party play if I weren't going to main-heal?

(Edit: actually, something else that bothers me, can just any of the builder attacks cause penetration?)
For damage dealers, you should not impair or hinder -- those are tank's job. Afflict is good, but don't overdo it. If you and someone have the same afflict, you'll refresh each other's. The overlapped afflict don't do more damage.

For tanking, impair is a bonus/requirement for higher level dungeons. It'll stop mobs from doing bad stuff to your party.

theHavok

Until you get your talismans and 2 main weapons to QL10 I would suggest only going into one line of each weapon otherwise you will start lagging behind on your talismans. The only benefit you get from spending in a second line is the passive buff it gives you.

jimbotcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHavok View Post
Until you get your talismans and 2 main weapons to QL10 I would suggest only going into one line of each weapon otherwise you will start lagging behind on your talismans. The only benefit you get from spending in a second line is the passive buff it gives you.
It's always well worth putting 1 point into both lines, though. That way you at least get a little extra buff for not much SP investment - after that, you get serious diminishing returns up until the jump from level 9 to 10, so I'd be inclined to spread my SP around other weapons first before levelling up second lines.