Talyn Derre

DefaultCurrency in TSW

So, I have been searching the boards, and I can't find a thread that addresses this - either it hasn't come up, or my message board-fu needs work.

Ok, my question is: has there been any information about what The Secret World will use for an in-game currency?

I figure, we have learned that there will be crafting, and trading between both players and some sort of NPC black market - that requires a currency. WoW has gold pieces, City of Heroes has Influence, what will be the monetary units in the Secret World?

It's a modern setting, but I can't see them using dollars (or pounds, or won) - prices would be too skewed and there would be too much pressure to put a "realistic" price on everything.

Talyn Derre

DefaultCurrency in TSW

So, I have been searching the boards, and I can't find a thread that addresses this - either it hasn't come up, or my message board-fu needs work.

Ok, my question is: has there been any information about what The Secret World will use for an in-game currency?

I figure, we have learned that there will be crafting, and trading between both players and some sort of NPC black market - that requires a currency. WoW has gold pieces, City of Heroes has Influence, what will be the monetary units in the Secret World?

It's a modern setting, but I can't see them using dollars (or pounds, or won) - prices would be too skewed and there would be too much pressure to put a "realistic" price on everything.

Viper[SUN]

From what I know this isn't known yet. But from videos currency is labeled with the $ sign. However that's doesn't necessarily mean dollars, since that's pretty much an universal sign for "money" too.

In the latest video 3 missions are shown and they all offer each $10, which certainly isn't much if you take it as 10 dollars. So yeah, draw your own conclussions.

Viper[SUN]

From what I know this isn't known yet. But from videos currency is labeled with the $ sign. However that's doesn't necessarily mean dollars, since that's pretty much an universal sign for "money" too.

In the latest video 3 missions are shown and they all offer each $10, which certainly isn't much if you take it as 10 dollars. So yeah, draw your own conclussions.

Interference

Would be interesting if Anima was also a currency.

Interference

Would be interesting if Anima was also a currency.

Vankel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper[SUN] View Post
Those missions are also all in the United States where the dollar is the currency. It makes sense that mission givers there would use US dollars as a monetary reward.

Maybe TSW will go the realistic route and use multiple currencies.

Vankel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper[SUN] View Post
Those missions are also all in the United States where the dollar is the currency. It makes sense that mission givers there would use US dollars as a monetary reward.

Maybe TSW will go the realistic route and use multiple currencies.

Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn Derre View Post
... has there been any information about what The Secret World will use for an in-game currency?
While the provision of existing currencies may further encourage the telling of the secret world's story as parallel to that of the existing world, the necessary consideration of exchange rates between each may also introduce an consideration of boundaries and the borders of each nation, thus detracting from the emphasis of a more international and ethereal atmosphere.

Memory serves of another such environment which was thought to dwell just beneath the surface of what we acknowledge as concurrent; within which, 'information' was the currency itself.

Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn Derre View Post
... has there been any information about what The Secret World will use for an in-game currency?
While the provision of existing currencies may further encourage the telling of the secret world's story as parallel to that of the existing world, the necessary consideration of exchange rates between each may also introduce an consideration of boundaries and the borders of each nation, thus detracting from the emphasis of a more international and ethereal atmosphere.

Memory serves of another such environment which was thought to dwell just beneath the surface of what we acknowledge as concurrent; within which, 'information' was the currency itself.