trijity

DefaultYour opinion on macros?

To start off, I don't even know if TSW would physically even incorporate macros with only 7 actives, but this is a general question among all MMO's I suppose. And the potential of TSW utilizing them.

Just curious as to how people stand on the thought of macros. Most mmo's that do not incorporate them seem to get a lot of heat from much of the community for not having them. SWTOR as of now having a lot of forum debate for not implementing macros as of yet.

Personally, I do not like macros. The methods that I have seen them used bring in forms of abuse. For example, from Taugrim (if anyone happens to know, is a big PvP guy for numerous MMO's) has a guide on how to play his cleric build in Rift. The guide emphasizes macro's such as.

"#show Bolt of Radiance
suppressmacrofailures
cast Glory of the Chosen
cast Jolt
cast Fated Blow
cast Lightning Hammer
cast Strike of Judgment
cast Bolt of Radiance
cast Sovereignty
cast Waterjet"

Which casts 8 different spells accordingly to the position he is in. Almost every Rift guide on the forums features a macro such as this, known as the "spam" macro. For the most part, this is all a Rift player needs to click to win. Which I find comical in Rift when someone talks about how good they are, when I know they click 1-3 buttons.

Macros in WoW are abused as well, not to Rift's extent, but I know I had some of my own which were pretty crazy. Overall my opinion on the matter is that I want to use my spells themselves, not a macro combining numerous one's, this simply takes any form of skill away. What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you like the thought of macros?

brody

i'd rather not see macro's in games. for the reasons you stated in the OP. people talk about how easy games have become and then proceed to share the "win with one button" macro like you've posted. no macro's please.

jmerithew87

I personally don't really see much need for macros in this game. I use them when there's just too many abilities to handle without going hotkey crazy, but with the way they've designed this game they won't really be needed. With only being able to have 7 active abilities, there's really no need to cut down on the amount of buttons you need to push. I think 7 actives/7 passives was probably the best setup they could come up with. You're not going to have a 2 button rotation, but you're not going to rely on macroing or loads of hotkeys to be effective

trijity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerithew87 View Post
I personally don't really see much need for macros in this game. I use them when there's just too many abilities to handle without going hotkey crazy, but with the way they've designed this game they won't really be needed. With only being able to have 7 active abilities, there's really no need to cut down on the amount of buttons you need to push. I think 7 actives/7 passives was probably the best setup they could come up with. You're not going to have a 2 button rotation, but you're not going to rely on macroing or loads of hotkeys to be effective
Yea, that is why I said what I had in bold in my OP. I felt almost silly making this thread for TSW lol. With only 7 active's I'd be very hard pressed to think we would see macros. However, I suppose there is probably still some people out there that want them.

wintermoot

for the love of god please support macros. even if only to string together emotes.

even if TSW does not support macros, I will use external apps to string together moves with timings.

I have played enough mmos and don't need to get RSI from repeated combinations.

Plus, macros let me focus on more deep gameplay like dual client or working on optimizing tactics without having to worry about their execution.

To each his own, but I'm passed the time in my life where I have any desire to press 1, 2, 3, 4 in sequence with a 5 thrown in every two cycles.

Macros have never been a "win button". Anyone who says this clearly has not constructed complex macros. To me, macros have always been an avenue to deeper, more involved gameplay.

trijity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermoot View Post
for the love of god please support macros. even if only to string together emotes.

even if TSW does not support macros, I will use external apps to string together moves with timings.

I have played enough mmos and don't need to get RSI from repeated combinations.

Plus, macros let me focus on more deep gameplay like dual client or working on optimizing tactics without having to worry about their execution.

To each his own, but I'm passed the time in my life where I have any desire to press 1, 2, 3, 4 in sequence with a 5 thrown in every two cycles.

Macros have never been a "win button". Anyone who says this clearly has not constructed complex macros. To me, macros have always been an avenue to deeper, more involved gameplay.
I'm all in support of macros just for the sake of /emotes. But when it comes to a boss fight for you, or even PvP for Taugrim, as given in my OP, pushing 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 is more entertainment for you than 1, 2, 3, 4, occasional 5 while having to implement proper timing?

I mean, I know that comparison is silly, but many macros in many circumstances are indeed literally the "I-win" button. I have used such macros and hated it, simply because not using the "I-win" macro is just not as effective. In WoW a few years ago, I had one that would instantaneously pop 4-5 separate cooldowns for me, that if single pressed would implement Global CD where the macro itself would pop all within 1 second.

Merc

My opinion on macros is that there are no apostrophes in "macros".

And that they shouldn't exist in games.

Maurna

You can have a macro system that doesn't allow combat. Only allowing one "use" or "action" within a macro for example.

That allows RP or clothing change macros but prevents chaining hotkeys in combat.
~MF

Wiki

frzn

When combat macros are beneficial to players, I see it as a flaw in the game (either it's too repetitive or a flaw in the combat system). When it's just a way of being lazy, I don't mind and they can do some pretty neat things.
Effusion Inkstorm Dreamtwist

Lyrhea

Super Moderator

From what I understand from the many press articles... is that combat is a pretty engaging aspect of TSW. I am not sure that macros would be necessary for this game for combat purposes. I could see it for scripting text and emotes, though. This is merely my opinion, understand.

That said, there is no reason to be abusive to new comers to the forums. It isn't unrealistic for people to come here thinking in the Rift/WoW/ToR paradigm of thought of MMO's as they are so pervasive in their domination of common traits that belong to MMO's.

TSW is going to be a bit different... how different? Well, that is something we'll see for ourselves as people get invited to beta.
Lyrhea
Volunteer Moderator

My nerf stick is SONIC. Sonic nerf sticks are cool.

| Social Guidelines | Customer Service |
| Contact Me | Follow Me on Twitter |