excession

QuestionJust what exactly is MIRACLE?

We all love puzzles here, right?

Direct your aggregate intellect toward this, if you have a moment...

For some time Ragnar Tornquist (and if you don't know who that is, we've got a problem) has been talking about a mysterious project called 'Miracle'. He's described it in vague but impressively grandiose terms, even going so far as to label it the "biggest thing anyone's ever done".
So here, dear reader, I present a few internet 'newspaper clippings' for you to peruse:

---

"Last but not least, I'm working on a game called "Miracle" - this is my baby, and it's the most exciting project I've ever worked on, bar none. It's online, and massively multiplayer, and it contains elements of the adventure and RPG genres, amongst other things. But it won't see the light of day until after 2003, because it's huge, and it's difficult, and it's incredibly ambitious…the biggest thing Funcom has ever done. The biggest thing anyone's ever done!"
-Ancient interiview by GameSpy with RT

"As for my own projects, I'm working on a design for a game that, in some ways, takes adventure-gaming to the 'next level'. Hyperbole, yes, but hopefully there will be some truth to that. It's going to be online, it'll be massively multiplayer, and it's called Miracle. And I believe this project will get the green-light next week some time.
Ooh-boy. Well, like I said, Anarchy will be out pretty soon -- it's currently in Beta. The next one should be out in, oh, two years, and Miracle probably won't see the light of day until 2003. So we're talking waaay off into the future, here!"
-Ancient Brass Lantern interview with RT

"Whatever we're doing next, it's not going to be "Miracle", which is big and ambitious and extremely difficult to make. And a huge secret (sort of a mix between an adventure game and an RPG). It's going to have to wait a couple of years."
-Forum post on longestjourney.com by RT, 2002

"But how long has The Secret World really existed, for you?
--
I also worked on the design for another game called Miracle, late ‘90s, early 2000s, so it’s been twelve, thirteen years that this idea’s been germinating in my head."
-Rock Paper Shotgun interview with RT, 2011

---

OK, so far so good. While there are some mixed messages, it seems clear that 'Miracle' is one of several proto-TSWs.
But wait!

Ragnar's own website tells a rather different story, if you take the time to read the About section:

"More TSW, Dreamfall Chapters and, hopefully, Miracle."
-RT's personal website

So Miracle is niether TSW, nor anything to do with Dreamfall Chapters. Furthermore, it is a "sort of a mix between an adventure game and an RPG", while TSW is clearly an RPG alone, albeit of the massively multiplayer variety*.
So what is 'Miracle' then?
Anyone have a clue, a sliver of a scrap of a clue, or even an intuition condensed from the impenetrable vapors of rumor and here-say?

*MMORPGs are not, in my humble opinion, really RPGs in the literal/traditional sense. I hope that TSW changes this, but time will tell.

Amosco

Ab Initio

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of it. It sounds pretty exciting, from the quotes you referenced, though. I'd love to find out more.

PlatinumC

I smell a conspiracy.

Edit - NVM, it was my socks.

Eagle Stalker

I have to disagree with the one of the last sentances. While TSW is an rpg, it contains alot of elements of adventure games. I never played Ragnar's games but he himself said they wanted to capture the feeling of the "globe trouting adventure", sort of like Indiana Jones. In fact, not just adventure, but alot of puzzle, stealth and horror elements too. It may not be this Miracle, but it wouldn't be that far of either.

Agent2011

Well,

Personally I have to disagree that TSW is strictly a RPG alone, infact I'd argue it has many adventure game components.

That being said its not uncommon for devs to have pet projects from their early years.

JerryC

the early draft of TSW was called Cabal, now pehaps this was an even earlier draft I don't know

I would have thought if he had anything else on the go it would be a project that finishes the story to TLJ. - mind this could be a MMO?

Wetlove

Not much of a puzzle. I already found it. Miracle

Eagle Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetlove View Post
Not much of a puzzle. I already found it. Miracle
Well, sorry TSW. I have a better game to go to

bcbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
the early draft of TSW was called Cabal, now pehaps this was an even earlier draft I don't know

I would have thought if he had anything else on the go it would be a project that finishes the story to TLJ. - mind this could be a MMO?
Read the quotes. It's not TSW.

Lasarith

By the Sounds of it, it's a game He's had the Idear for, for 20 odd Year's,

And is only now -After TSW -Probably going to get to work on (after work commitments)
Master and initiate Packs

Linkin park 314/525 Abilitys. 2/7 aux.
<Razer Abyssus>