Thrythlind

DefaultSamhain in the Secret World

....so...as I remember the basic belief of Samhain...it is a time outside of the normal calender, basically a time that isn't recorded in the Celtic year, during which time people are allowed to step out of their normal societal restrictions.

Also during this time, the barrier between the worlds is thinner so that the fair folk and the dead can visit this world. What I've seen implies that this is seen as a chance to benefit from the wisdom of one's ancestors. Apparently the trick or treat thing comes from a decision to make sure to be polite to strangers on these nights because they could be your ancestor visiting you, in which case you don't want to offend them, or they could be fair folk visiting you...in which case you might be screwed either way, but you REALLY don't want to offend THEM.

So, I wonder if Samhain is a time when the secret societies confer with the ghosts of past members about circumstances in the world.

Would make a very interesting seasonal event.

Frostbeard

The idea of a time of year where the "walls between the worlds" are thinner isn't exclusive to Samhain. Many cultures have similar festivals, and they're often placed near the equinoxes on the calendar.

That said, time works differently in the game than in the real world. Each minute of real time is about ten minutes of game time. This makes events tied to specific dates a bit problematic, I would think.

Valcutio

I'd love to see seasonal events like this. Even if it's just a small quest chain... I think it goes a long way towards making the world feel alive.

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbeard View Post
Each minute of real time is about ten minutes of game time. This makes events tied to specific dates a bit problematic, I would think.
Unless Samhain only gets interestingly thin once every tenth "year".

dirtyklingon

is there an correltation between in game time and irl dates? it looked like just time of day and did not see any in game date like for example skyrim has.

otherwise typically mmo seasonal events are a multi day affair that occurs round about the time of whatever holiday they are tied to.

for example i think wow's seasonal events last about a week or two.

most mmo's that do this make a version that is both inoffensive to the masses and ties into the games' lore.

not sure how they would do this with tsw.

Neato

Most games have fast day/night cycles because people who play at the same time every day don't always want to play at the same time in game. Dates rarely change that fast since they'd become meaningless to the players.

The problem with time of year issues is that the Solomon island issue was supposed to have happened around halloween. I don't know how they are going to keep that accurate for years.

Btyrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neato View Post
The problem with time of year issues is that the Solomon island issue was supposed to have happened around halloween. I don't know how they are going to keep that accurate for years.
Well, everything fell apart around Halloween. I don't know if anyone specifies how long ago that was, exactly, and it's not like anyone would be going around taking down Halloween decorations in the middle of a zombie plague. Of course, logically, you wouldn't expect them to have been holding out all winter in the state we find them, but there's nothing that explicitly contradicts the idea.

On the other hand, they could just have each zone (other than the hubs) effectively fixed in the timeline, and just have seasonal events in the zones that correspond to the right time of year.

Regardless, I very much hope that any seasonal events are in keeping with the tone of the game. Other MMOs tend to have rather silly events, which I think would be very jarring here (though we could have a few lighter moments).

Some "festive" thoughts:

Samhain: The walls between the worlds are thin, and the spirits of the dead return. Some seek to guide us, others to wreak vengeance. Ghosts of dead faction members ask us to finish quests they left unfinished, and the spirits of foes we've killed seek to destroy us.

Yule: The longest night, when the Darkness is at its strongest. Light a candle to drive back the night and ensure that we will see the spring.

Walpurgisnacht: Bonfire night and the Witches' Sabbath. Celebrated in some countries by the ceremonial burning of witch effigies. The witches aren't going to take that lying down (or even upright, strapped to a stake).

Midsummer: The triumph of the Light. For one shining day, we are at our peak, and our foes fall back before us. Glory in it while you can...tomorrow, the Darkness begins to ascend once more. (Perhaps a game-wide buff to everyone who participates, or a debuff to enemies?) Oh, and Denmark burns witch effigies again. They really like burning witches in Denmark. Or maybe they just like fire.

Starch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbeard View Post
The idea of a time of year where the "walls between the worlds" are thinner isn't exclusive to Samhain. Many cultures have similar festivals, and they're often placed near the equinoxes on the calendar.

That said, time works differently in the game than in the real world. Each minute of real time is about ten minutes of game time. This makes events tied to specific dates a bit problematic, I would think.
Halloween, The day of the Dead

chowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrythlind View Post
....so...as I remember the basic belief of Samhain...it is a time outside of the normal calender, basically a time that isn't recorded in the Celtic year, during which time people are allowed to step out of their normal societal restrictions.

Also during this time, the barrier between the worlds is thinner so that the fair folk and the dead can visit this world. What I've seen implies that this is seen as a chance to benefit from the wisdom of one's ancestors. Apparently the trick or treat thing comes from a decision to make sure to be polite to strangers on these nights because they could be your ancestor visiting you, in which case you don't want to offend them, or they could be fair folk visiting you...in which case you might be screwed either way, but you REALLY don't want to offend THEM.

So, I wonder if Samhain is a time when the secret societies confer with the ghosts of past members about circumstances in the world.

Would make a very interesting seasonal event.
You are indeed correct. They used to dress up to an extent as well in hope of warding off evil spirits. Lots of bonfires too I was actually contemplating this the other night but meh. I dont think its a very well known festival outside Ireland (Samhain that is).
But being the root of halloween (along with All saits i think?) after all, why not? I like it, nice idea.