mdobrowney

DefaultCrafting in TSW

For me this is always what i look at in an MMO. To me the best gear should come the crafter not the vendors. For me this is huge. Also look at SWG crafting system. Something like that is worth my time. Anything else is a joke. Now I have not see enough of the game to know if the crafting is going to be great or not. Just wanted to post my thoughts

Vallikat

I would say you most definitely can make better weapons yourself rather than what you get from vendors. Although I have a shotgun ATM that I like pretty well that I looted. Still, loot is unreliable at best. So crafting your own is definitely the way to go. At first I was confused by it but I get it now after reading the guides. Also what's really important to me is that you don't need a certain crafting skill to be able to make something. As long as you have all of the necessary components you can make what you want. You don't have to look for someone of your higher rank or skill level to be able to help you out.

The only thing I would change is being able to buy the toolkits. The only kits I've seen on vendors are for consumables. If there are other toolkit vendors around I never saw them.
Assistant Director/Applications Lead - Gridstream Productions
>>>Tune-In<<<

Gridstream Productions is Hiring! Please contact me via an in-game tell or PM me here or on our forum for details!

Motoislo

There is going to be an auction house, so in some sense, you will be able to buy toolkits.

dirtyklingon

if you are looking for the same kind of crafting as swg had i don't think you'll find what you're looking for here.

however if you give ti a chance you may enjoy it anyway

Neato

Right now crafting can be done by anyone at any time with the right materials. Green item drops are the same as green crafting items. The only difference is that you get to choose what stats your items have. Item stats are based on Q-level, element and glyphs. Items are higher levels are supposed to drop with glyphs attached. Items you make have no glyphs attached but you can craft and equip them easily.

So if you are looking for a Head Talisman with high attack and penetration and one drops at the right Q level with high attack and Block, you can add a Penetration glyph to it to replace the one already on there (it will be destroyed). Crafting will likely be for making extremely specific gear end game and for filling gaps on dropped/reward loot (if you don't get a penetration/attack occult item for 2 Q levels for instance). Making ALL of your gear is currently (low levels) redunant since you get so much as quest rewards AND expensive for the item parts.

Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobrowney View Post
For me this is always what i look at in an MMO. To me the best gear should come the crafter not the vendors. For me this is huge. Also look at SWG crafting system. Something like that is worth my time. Anything else is a joke. Now I have not see enough of the game to know if the crafting is going to be great or not. Just wanted to post my thoughts
oooh SWG, to this day, its still so ahead of its time.

I want to see the TKA combos in TSW.
CPU: MOS 6510, 1MHz O.C. 2Mhz
Memory: 1byte UtraDeathExtremePro ZXR1-V804 DDR666
Harddrive: 800 petabyte TapeDrive | GPU: LiteBrite OC edition
Cooling: Duel Boeing Trent 90,000 hp turbines
Case: Shell of an EZ bake oven
PSU: Alstom 60MWatt Hydro Generator | OS: Dos 1.1

mdobrowney

Just something about the SWG crafting system that makes me smile. This being an M Rated game i would hope that the crafting system would not be a themepark WoW style crafting system. SWTOR by far has the worst crafting system I have ever seen. You can walk to any vendor and buy better gear then you can ever craft. This killed SWTOR for me. I would hope TSW Devs took some time with the crafting system and made it something to brag about. I guess only time will tell. I will likey buy the game. But if the crafting system is a joke i will not stay after my free 30 days.

marthos

Crafting in this game has alot of appeal combined to traditional systems:

1) There are not any crafting levels, and no need to craft "iron sword" 200 times in order to make the "steel sword." Everything you craft will be useful.
2) There is no farming of resource nodes for hours to make those 200 iron swords. You pick up resources from loot drops, so you'll be progressing your skill points as you collect materials.
3) Lower tier materials can be combined into higher tier materials. Higher tier materials can be downgraded into lower tier materials. So no need to go back to the starter zone to get the right resource to make your new friend low level gear
4) The output can be customized. If you want to add crit chance to your output, you slot in the right glyph. Want your belt to have high healing instead of high morale? You can do that too.

When you combine this system with the deck system, you'll see how important crafting will become in this game. You have a deck that focuses on penetration, and you get buffs and procs each time you penetrate. You'll want gear that has high penetrate rating...you can cross your fingers and hope for that in loot or just make it yourself.

Swordmage

I must say as a crafter in other games (9 crafting alts in EQ2, 7 in LotRO, 6 in SW:TOR, etc.) that this game is not a crafter's dream. I really don't see any need for dedicated crafters since, if they can create the best items in the game, so can every adventurer, whether they have had any previous in-game experience in crafting or not.

I wasn't as unhappy with SW:TOR as you were (I did find the farming of rare material missions very tedious); however, I have been looking for a good crafting game for a long time. In addition to pre-NGE SWG, I also have a soft spot in my head for Istaria (Horizons), which is still in active development. I don't see anything on the horizon, other than Salem, that I am looking forward to specifically for crafting.

Livnthedream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
oooh SWG, to this day, its still so ahead of its time.
yes, swg, the game that was so ahead of its time it died 5 years before its servers were shut down.

@op everything in the game is craftable assuming you have the kits, mats, and know the patterns needed. there are no special drops outside of appearance items.