Thread Tools

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar

Default-seeking input from my fellow TSW peers & experienced vet's on pvp build etc.-

Good day my fellow Secret World brethren. I was invited to play the Beta4 weekend, but due to a completely overloaded work schedule I unfortunately was unable to get my "feet wet" so to speak! But hey, career money comes first, amirite?!

Anywho, moving on: I had my beta downloaded and was all set to "DIVE IN!" but as I said, did not get a chance to even play the first mission/storyline or what have you! UGH! I also admittedly have not been able to keep up with the game here on the forums etc. as my work/college/extracurricular does not allow for "too" much free time etc. so I've pieced together as much info. as possible on the game and have been SIMPLY PUMPED for this game since its announcement several years ago and when I then subsequently signed up on here for updates and news announcements, etc.

That said, I have spent literally the past 3-4 hrs. pursuing the forums and reading in-detail (as best as a layperson can) the different builds, weapons, and cards, etc. including the sticky sections on combat builds, etc. here on the boards: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=7337 as well as a great link I came across on weapon/ability synergy etc: http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:weapon-choices

That said, I must admit however I'm still rather lost on the concept, as I haven't been afforded the luxury of seeing it come to fruition or in practice as I haven't had any REAL in-game time yet!

Now I "KNOW" I will get 'a tad bit of slack' for this (but hey oh well!) when I say that my first "real" MMO experience like a PLETHORA of you, came from the Vanilla/TBC WoW days, where I was a hardcore PvP and high-ranked arena whore from BG9. I originally played an Arms Warr, and then decided to move onto a more "delicate" class in playing a Rogue Competitively. Similar to SW:TOR (Marauder/Assassin), AoC (Barbarian/Rogue), Warhammer Online (Marauder), I've never been one for spell casters, and have primarily been drawn to melee type classes that have some solid DPS, decent survivability and nice CC/"oh shit" buttons (ie: The Rogue in particular).

**ATTENTION: the LAST thing I want to do is compare this game to WoW, or SW, AoC, Warhammer, or the like, but it's only fair and natural to at least "mention" these other games as a frame of reference in which to proceed into ones next MMO experience.

Ergo, enough rambling on- to the "heart" of my question: when TSW releases, I do not want to waste tons of time grinding the "wrong" style as WE ALL KNOW, there is no "right build," it comes down to personal preference and what one enjoys, and that said, you veterans of the game should at the very least be able to lend a few helping hands and suggestions on "possible/potential" routes I should consider pursuing considering my aforementioned playstyle, etc. and I would greatly appreciate your guidance in this matter my good men!

Thus far, I've "heard" that Blades/Blood, Blades/AR and Pistols/Elementalism are all pretty nice builds, but once again, with a focus on PvP and 1v1's (although rare- I know), I'm not sure how accurate this information is to me "personally." Also, considering my schedule, I will probably find myself soloing quite a bit, so that also plays into the build I'm shooting for.

As a final note, and as I mentioned before- I DO NOT and WILL NOT compare this game to WoW, as that would be a travesty, I only mentioned the synergy I had with playing a Rogue in terms of trying to "best" translate that over to potential builds that I "may" have fun with in TSW- as I said, I won't have TONS of time to play, and don't want to have a "poopy" experience with the time I will have if you understand where I'm coming from etc. I simply mentioned MY favorite playstyle (Rogue-type characters) and am obviously going to use that same mindset into ANY game I play when choosing/making my toon whether it be Skyrim, TSW, etc.- to each his own, and this is simply the type of character "I" enjoy playing the most!

So, that said, I greatly await to hear back from my fellow Templar, Dragon and Illuminati on solid suggestions you can lend to me, or at least "steer me in the right direction" given the information I've provided and the several Beta weekends and builds you've had the luxury to explore Ad nauseam.

Once again, thank you for your time friends, and look forward to hearing back from you all!

-Cheers

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
^P.S. If I posted this thread in the wrong section, mods/admin by all means please move to the appropriate section- I scrolled through topic headers and this seemed to be the best fit as "general discussion" etc.

Thanks

-Cheers

Mrgascoyne

Mrgascoyne's Avatar
Rogue style gameplay to me implies a love of melee and stuns, I am more of a ranged person myself but I'm thinking hammer might be a good starting point.

You put so much effort into your post I wish i could be more helpful but I have only played with ranged specs.
Father 'Romario' Abramovich

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgascoyne View Post
Rogue style gameplay to me implies a love of melee and stuns, I am more of a ranged person myself but I'm thinking hammer might be a good starting point.

You put so much effort into your post I wish i could be more helpful but I have only played with ranged specs.
You definitely hit the nail on the head when you mentioned my "personal" favorite playstyle when it comes to damn near ANY game. I enjoy a melee class, that does lots of burst dmg, decent survivability when fighting solo (which is what I "LOVE" doing), and the ability to dictate the fight on my terms, with control and CC options at my disposal in order to force my opponent into making a mistake and then capitalizing to a "T."

That said, no worries that you are primarily familiar with ranged classes/weps/builds, etc. - I appreciate you taking the time to respond all the same Good Sir, Thank you for your time.

-Cheers

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgascoyne View Post
Rogue style gameplay to me implies a love of melee and stuns, I am more of a ranged person myself but I'm thinking hammer might be a good starting point.

You put so much effort into your post I wish i could be more helpful but I have only played with ranged specs.
Oh, and although you specified your schooled on pretty much ranged classes/builds, etc.- would you elaborate on why you think the hammer "may" be a good starting point for what I'm looking/itching to do in TSW playwise? (as I said, I was perusing the forums at my leisure and I read that Blade/Blood, Blade/AR and Pistol/Elementalism are quite good- but I of course would have no way of knowing if that would be a "decent" fit for my said playstyle, etc.- thx)

Thanks again.

Mrgascoyne

Mrgascoyne's Avatar
I'm not expert but I got the impression that hammer has a few early stuns in the build, there's no substitue for getting your hands on the game but there is an online deck builder out there which might get you a feel for things. I haven't got the link but if you google TSW Deck Builder I think the site is called secretsandbox or some such.

The beauty of the game is that you can pair anything with anything and keep changing until you find something you like but i feel moving deeper into the game you will need various sets for different challenges and you will not want to have just one build rather a selection to choose from.

Blade is close range DPS/Tank style I believe, Blood is ranged DPS/Healing Assult Rifle is ranged DPS/Healing and Pistols is DPS/Support (few summons and buffs etc) Mid Range.

Build start becoming really effective when you mix and match passives but i see you have listed Yokai's guides which explain things infinatley better than I can.

I really like this game, it encourages you to think in all apsects, can be daunting at first but from what I've seen really starts to shine once you get into it
Father 'Romario' Abramovich

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgascoyne View Post
I'm not expert but I got the impression that hammer has a few early stuns in the build, there's no substitue for getting your hands on the game but there is an online deck builder out there which might get you a feel for things. I haven't got the link but if you google TSW Deck Builder I think the site is called secretsandbox or some such.

The beauty of the game is that you can pair anything with anything and keep changing until you find something you like but i feel moving deeper into the game you will need various sets for different challenges and you will not want to have just one build rather a selection to choose from.

Blade is close range DPS/Tank style I believe, Blood is ranged DPS/Healing Assult Rifle is ranged DPS/Healing and Pistols is DPS/Support (few summons and buffs etc) Mid Range.

Build start becoming really effective when you mix and match passives but i see you have listed Yokai's guides which explain things infinatley better than I can.

I really like this game, it encourages you to think in all apsects, can be daunting at first but from what I've seen really starts to shine once you get into it
Aye, it seems as though the game REALLY promotes a "possible" synergy for a plethora of builds depending on one's respective playstyle' obviously some will make a better fit than others.

I will also check out that 'Deck Builder Tool' you mentioned as well. Too bad I wasn't able to "actually" test some of this stuff in the Beta- but as I said, schedule simply wouldn't allow it :*(

Thanks again, and I'm anxiously awaiting more veterans, etc. to chime in with their respective opinions and am looking forward to some solid input, and at the very least "steering me in the right direction" based on what kind of playstyle I enjoy; I will also look up the hammer you mentioned in the meantime and see what potential it offers.

Come one, come all! Look forward to the input/guidance fellow TSW brethren!

-Cheers

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
bumper cars?

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissism View Post
Good day my fellow Secret World brethren. I was invited to play the Beta4 weekend, but due to a completely overloaded work schedule I unfortunately was unable to get my "feet wet" so to speak! But hey, career money comes first, amirite?!

Anywho, moving on: I had my beta downloaded and was all set to "DIVE IN!" but as I said, did not get a chance to even play the first mission/storyline or what have you! UGH! I also admittedly have not been able to keep up with the game here on the forums etc. as my work/college/extracurricular does not allow for "too" much free time etc. so I've pieced together as much info. as possible on the game and have been SIMPLY PUMPED for this game since its announcement several years ago and when I then subsequently signed up on here for updates and news announcements, etc.

That said, I have spent literally the past 3-4 hrs. pursuing the forums and reading in-detail (as best as a layperson can) the different builds, weapons, and cards, etc. including the sticky sections on combat builds, etc. here on the boards: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=7337 as well as a great link I came across on weapon/ability synergy etc: http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:weapon-choices

That said, I must admit however I'm still rather lost on the concept, as I haven't been afforded the luxury of seeing it come to fruition or in practice as I haven't had any REAL in-game time yet!

Now I "KNOW" I will get 'a tad bit of slack' for this (but hey oh well!) when I say that my first "real" MMO experience like a PLETHORA of you, came from the Vanilla/TBC WoW days, where I was a hardcore PvP and high-ranked arena whore from BG9. I originally played an Arms Warr, and then decided to move onto a more "delicate" class in playing a Rogue Competitively. Similar to SW:TOR (Marauder/Assassin), AoC (Barbarian/Rogue), Warhammer Online (Marauder), I've never been one for spell casters, and have primarily been drawn to melee type classes that have some solid DPS, decent survivability and nice CC/"oh shit" buttons (ie: The Rogue in particular).

**ATTENTION: the LAST thing I want to do is compare this game to WoW, or SW, AoC, Warhammer, or the like, but it's only fair and natural to at least "mention" these other games as a frame of reference in which to proceed into ones next MMO experience.

Ergo, enough rambling on- to the "heart" of my question: when TSW releases, I do not want to waste tons of time grinding the "wrong" style as WE ALL KNOW, there is no "right build," it comes down to personal preference and what one enjoys, and that said, you veterans of the game should at the very least be able to lend a few helping hands and suggestions on "possible/potential" routes I should consider pursuing considering my aforementioned playstyle, etc. and I would greatly appreciate your guidance in this matter my good men!

Thus far, I've "heard" that Blades/Blood, Blades/AR and Pistols/Elementalism are all pretty nice builds, but once again, with a focus on PvP and 1v1's (although rare- I know), I'm not sure how accurate this information is to me "personally." Also, considering my schedule, I will probably find myself soloing quite a bit, so that also plays into the build I'm shooting for.

As a final note, and as I mentioned before- I DO NOT and WILL NOT compare this game to WoW, as that would be a travesty, I only mentioned the synergy I had with playing a Rogue in terms of trying to "best" translate that over to potential builds that I "may" have fun with in TSW- as I said, I won't have TONS of time to play, and don't want to have a "poopy" experience with the time I will have if you understand where I'm coming from etc. I simply mentioned MY favorite playstyle (Rogue-type characters) and am obviously going to use that same mindset into ANY game I play when choosing/making my toon whether it be Skyrim, TSW, etc.- to each his own, and this is simply the type of character "I" enjoy playing the most!

So, that said, I greatly await to hear back from my fellow Templar, Dragon and Illuminati on solid suggestions you can lend to me, or at least "steer me in the right direction" given the information I've provided and the several Beta weekends and builds you've had the luxury to explore Ad nauseam.

Once again, thank you for your time friends, and look forward to hearing back from you all!

-Cheers
bump - anyone?

much appreciated

Narcissism

Narcissism's Avatar
Evening again my fellow TSW brothers in arms!

I figured I'd try and give this another shot as I put some decent time and effort into my thread, and thought I'd at least get more than one person to give a fellow TSW player ("future" that is: soon as I'm back home next week and can get my hands on my DL!) some solid input and guidance as most of you are LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of me obviously, as Beta Testers through weeks 1-4!

Anyways, I'd GREATLY appreciate any pointers/suggestions/etc. you all could give and I thank you for your time in advance.

-Cheers all
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.