AvengerUK

DefaultConfused, Weapons & QL & Crafting...

Hey all,

I'm enjoying the secret world so far, but I did not play at all during beta, and I'm struggling to work some basic's out!

Basically, Do you need to craft in order to get better weapons? or do you get them as drops and/or rewards? I'm still with the starter, havnt seen any others!

Crafting wise, to get metal you need to disassemble weapons and upgrade the metal, Ive got that, however I've not yet seen where toolkit's for making the weapons come from?

Annnnd lastly, - how do you know what your QL is? Item's have a QL but, I'm not sure how this translates into "I'm QL4" - etc...

Sorry if these are really simple questions but, somehow they've stumped me thus far!

MylzDavis

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=7337

couple good links to start off there

Ikagawa

You get new weapons and equipment through missions, crafting, specialty vendors, or as drops from a kill.

Toolkits for making weapons and gear are drops only as far as I know.

To me, the QL of your character is the average of your gear. I had QL5 weapons and a mix of QL3/4 gear, so I considered my character to be QL4. Some people only mention the QL of their weapons which I think is kind of a false representation of your character.

arrgy

I must admit, Funcom couldn't have picked a more confusing gear/crafting system to implement.

MylzDavis

What I'm having difficulty with is getting tool kits... how rare are they? since we obviously cant buy the weapon ones

I've only gotten one from a quest and thats only recently
Do they drop more once you get out of the starting area?

Ikagawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylzDavis View Post
What I'm having difficulty with is getting tool kits... how rare are they? since we obviously cant buy the weapon ones

I've only gotten one from a quest and thats only recently
Do they drop more once you get out of the starting area?
They have a random drop chance, just like other items. At the end of BWE4 I had about 30 various toolkits, maybe 10 of those were for different QL weapons.

MylzDavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikagawa View Post
They have a random drop chance, just like other items. At the end of BWE4 I had about 30 various toolkits, maybe 10 of those were for different QL weapons.
yup.. im just that unlucky.. never gotten a toolkit to drop

gotten tons of runes.. thats it lol

Miths

I think I've gotten three weapon toolkit drops (all QL3) in the perhaps 12-15 hours I've been playing so far.
Being able to craft an item you want in this game seems to me like it's something that's supposed to be a rare reward rather than something you do as a side activity like in most other MMOs?

But if that's the case the crafted weapons really ought to be better than those you can buy with tokens, or get from mission rewards or in drops. Waiting several hours to get your hands on a toolkit doesn't exactly fill you with excitement when it immediately becomes clear that the weapon you can craft is at best probably only as good as the one you may already be carrying.

But I'm only basing that on Kingsmouth and a few hours on the Savage Coast. I don't know if crafting changes later?

Miths

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylzDavis View Post
yup.. im just that unlucky.. never gotten a toolkit to drop

gotten tons of runes.. thats it lol
I also have about a million runes - more or less - but not a single glyph toolkit yet to use them with.

AvengerUK

Thanks for the replies! Somewhat less confused now!

Will just have to hope that some toolkit's end up dropping / get a weapon reward from somewhere!