Nemesis7884

Defaulttesselation

i have a few question regarding tesselation

well first of all, is it even in yet? because i sometimes read that some of the visual options are not implemented or supported at this time?

which leads me to question nr 2 - what does it do (i know the theory)...if i turn tesselation on i get no changes in the world. the ground does change but i can't say it is an improvement that makes the game look better...just different...

the third thing is - tesselation - even if its not implemented or makes the game prettier - eats about half of my fps... with everything on max and tesselation off i get 20-35 fps (i play on a notebook), with tesselation on im around 10-25 (still get the issue that fps jumps all over the place). so therefore the question would be what kind of gpu is needed to run the game on all-out visually speaking.... assuming the rest of the computer is "good", would a gtx 570 suffice?

Shakaale

Not every textures in the game will create some tesselation.
Sometimes it's very subtle ( bricks, woodplanks ), sometimes it's very visible ( shingles or rocks on Kingsmouth's beaches, gravel here and there).

http://olivier-colchen.fr/Data/TSW/D...cture001_s.jpg

It's not the best picture I came up with, but you can see an example here.

So, it's up to you to say if you think this is an improvment or not, I know I have a hard time living without it now. It was extremely present in Crysis 2, it exists in TSW, and it helps improving the overall level of details of the world. Without it, I just feel like everything is flat ( and technically it is ).

For your question last part, I do have a GTX 570 ( phantom ) and the game is running perfectly fine, with ultra setting. Tesselation, AO, everything, in 1080p.

Nemesis7884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakaale View Post
Not every textures in the game will create some tesselation.
Sometimes it's very subtle ( bricks, woodplanks ), sometimes it's very visible ( shingles or rocks on Kingsmouth's beaches, gravel here and there).

http://olivier-colchen.fr/Data/TSW/D...cture001_s.jpg

It's not the best picture I came up with, but you can see an example here.

So, it's up to you to say if you think this is an improvment or not, I know I have a hard time living without it now. It was extremely present in Crysis 2, it exists in TSW, and it helps improving the overall level of details of the world. Without it, I just feel like everything is flat ( and technically it is ).

For your question last part, I do have a GTX 570 ( phantom ) and the game is running perfectly fine, with ultra setting. Tesselation, AO, everything, in 1080p.
do you feel tesselation does improve anything outside of the ground? it should also give everything else more "body"?

hmmm i have to try it out on the beach therefore

Lord Abrasion

Player Ab Initio

I have a GTX 460, running the game rather smoothly at 1920x1080 on Ultra with everything but Motion Blur activated iirc. I haven't checked what my FPS is but then I tend not to really give a crap as long as it's 24+

Malosar

Player Ab Initio

That tessellation on the beach is really nice. Hopefully their implementation will be just as useful and worthy of tessellation, and not just Jersey Barrier Syndrome.

Shakaale

I won't lie, I'm a tech whore so in a way, I like when new technologies are being exploited, even if it is by a small amount

There are a lot of situations where I can feel the tesselation ingame, but yes, it's mostly a ground effect. Wall with wooden planks and bricks in some cases, too. It's just not as visible, but it's here and you "feel it" more than you "see it".
Most of the advanced visual techs should stay subtle, anyway, to avoid overkill.

That said, I took the Crysis 2 example ( dx11 version, obvisouly ). It's clearly not as evolved in TSW as it is in Crytek's FPS, so that's something to be aware of.
It's a bit like "very high" internet speed versus "high" internet speed. Once you got a taste of the first, the other feels slow as hell. But you can do perfectly fine with the "high" speed. If you feel your framerate is taking a heavy hit because of Tesselation, then maybe just tick it off before you experience it ingame

edit: on a sidenote, I corrected my picture link up there. Silly me.

Nemesis7884

i think i have to test it more...if only it wouldnt kill fps so much - everything else has minor influence on my fps, but tesselation halfs it...

for me motion blur really does massively improve graphics and make everthing feel more realistic

Malosar

Player Ab Initio

Most of the tessellation implementation in Crysis 2 was abominable. Purely there for Nvidia to win benchmarks with stupidly applied tessellation applying thousands of triangles on flat surfaces, implemented by Nvidia as well.

Jersey Barrier Syndrome

Nemesis7884

for all you tech whores out there

applying tesselation "everywhere" therefore dramatically increase the polygon pyramid thingies is heavy on performance - so my question is, since tesselation shows its beauty only on items that "popp" out, why not implementing tesselation on those items or parts of items where it counts most? wouldnt you get mostly the same effect with only partially the cost?

Malosar

Player Ab Initio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis7884 View Post
for all you tech whores out there

applying tesselation "everywhere" therefore dramatically increase the polygon pyramid thingies is heavy on performance - so my question is, since tesselation shows its beauty only on items that "popp" out, why not implementing tesselation on those items or parts of items where it counts most? wouldnt you get mostly the same effect with only partially the cost?
That's how it is supposed to be done. Funcom definitely isn't applying it everywhere, that would be a far too big hit on performance. It's basically up to the artists as to where it is being applied and whether it is worth it or not.

There are parts of Crysis 2 where it looks fantastic along tire tracks in the mud etc. It's where they added it to flat surfaces was where Nv+Crytek failed so badly. The small amount I looked at Tessellation during beta in TSW, I didn't really pay much attention so I'm not really sure how well they did implement what can be a really visually impactful feature.