adamaj74

DefaultDXGI Error Device Removed

For the first couple of days of early access I had no issues. After patch/release the game started freezing up, crashing and giving me the DXGI Error Device Removed. Once this happens I have to manually reset my computer. If I do anything else - use the mouse, press a button, try to open task manager - the screen goes black and the computer is unresponsive.

I have no problems running other games; WoW (in dx11), Rift, Tera, SWTOR, Skyrim, Metro 2033, etc. I keep my computer immaculate and running lean and bloat-free. It has quality components and gets dusted out, dusted off and wiped down once a week. I am using the latest (and TSW recommended) Nvidia drivers (301.42).

When this first started happening I reinstalled the video driver. That didn't help. I tried just dealing with it but it's very distracting constantly wondering when the game is going to crash. I finally had enough and tore down my computer and thoroughly cleaned and checked it. Then I wiped it and reinstalled Windows 7. I fully updated Windows 7, got a clean download for the driver and installed it, installed MSE (which I turn off during game-play), updated Directx and then re-downloaded TSW. After all this I then started the game and within five minutes it did the same thing.

I opened a ticket with Tech support and got a response saying they are aware of these "issues" and are working "tirelessly" to resolve them. I have since started running the game in full screen windowed mode in dx9 and haven't had a crash. However, I should be able to run in dx11 as advertised - not to mention the fact that the game looks so much better and runs smoother (when it's not crashing) in dx11.

Searching these forums and the web I have found many have this problem, and many more just deal with it quietly. I have also found that this isn't just a problem with TSW, but with other Funcom games as well. If you check forums for their other games you'll see this very same issue being brought up time and again. Also, a lot of issues that people have have a common band-aid remedy suggested by support: Run in dx9 mode. Will Funcom ever get dx11 right?

I just want the game to work right so I can enjoy what it has to offer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

devst8ndscodave

Try this, it seems have stopped the crashing I was having in DX11.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=39473

adamaj74

Quote:
Originally Posted by devst8ndscodave View Post
Try this, it seems have stopped the crashing I was having in DX11.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=39473
Thanks I will give it a try.

Stygius

Hmmm....I still crashed, however this time I was able to open task manager and shut it down. I did some research after looking at my action center history and found that running as an administrator could help. So I did run as admin and the game ran fine for over five hours.

Dannae

Hi Adam,

I think I have mine sorted now. On the old forums in the same/similar thread we had there was a link to a dx11 end user download (581mb i think) from a poster (dark something?) and a link to the international nvidia beta driver which I downloaded (im in UK and I think the US download still made my pc crash for bizarre reason). I've been playing for around 7 hrs now with everything poss on max apart from motion blur (hate it) and no crash.

I opened a ticket too and will send in my dxdiag file for them to see.

Hope this helps

Dannae

Zwets

I too am having trouble with this error, every 10 or 20 minutes my game crashes.

I've tried several things so far, updating drivers, changing graphics settings, forcing V-sync through the control panel, verifying game data.

I'll try the compatibility settings thing next and if that doesn't work I'll try running on a different machine.

If anyone knows if the beta drivers mentioned are available for 'Nvidia 300M series' that would be much appreciated.

EDIT: No the disable desktop composition settings help nothing, game crashes in under a minute.

P.S.
The DXGI Error Device Removed is a general windows error for when something breaks your graphics driver and it has to close and restart. Unfortunately it doesn't give much of a hint as to what actually caused the driver to break, only a notification afterwards that they broke.
Last edited by Zwets; 07-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.

spartan1down

Stop using the in-game browser. :P It crashes the game 3 times on me.

Stygius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannae View Post
Hi Adam,

I think I have mine sorted now. On the old forums in the same/similar thread we had there was a link to a dx11 end user download (581mb i think) from a poster (dark something?) and a link to the international nvidia beta driver which I downloaded (im in UK and I think the US download still made my pc crash for bizarre reason). I've been playing for around 7 hrs now with everything poss on max apart from motion blur (hate it) and no crash.

I opened a ticket too and will send in my dxdiag file for them to see.

Hope this helps

Dannae
Thanks Dannae. Yeah, I updated Directx when I reinstalled windows. I did some research based upon my action center history log and found an answer on Microsoft's site. A person was getting the same error in their history log as me and a dev told them to right click the shortcut/exe and run as administrator. I realized I hadn't been doing this. Last night I ran for over 6 hours no problem after doing this. I don't know, we'll see tonight if I crash again, but I've yet to run more than 1-2 hours until now.

Oh, and I run in full screen windowed mode with antivirus turned off.

Dannae

Thought I'd cracked it for sure - then it just happened after around 13 hrs since doing all the above - grrrrrr. Hopefully a "one" off.

I'll try running as admin like you say. haven't done that yet.

Zwets

An update on what I got so far.

Ok, the Beta driver (Nvidia Verde 304.79 GeForce Driver) helps a little, its available for all types of GeForce far as I can tell.
I looked up what it actually updates and it contains application specific settings for the Secret World, that automagically overwrite the default settings to improve TSW on Nvidea.

After installing the driver I got over an hour of crash free playtime, but then the issue reappeared and it started to crash frequently again.
This is on my newer machine with a GeForce GTS 360M card and it happens in both DX11 and DX9.
The 'incubation' time might indicate that it is a memory leak filling the video ram, or a overheating issue, but I checked the temperature (after crashing) and while it was a bit high, Skyrim makes the card hotter but still works...

I also installed TSW on my older PC with a GeForce 8800 GT card (higher number, older card, f*** logic) it's about 5 years old and does not support DX11.
I installed the beta drivers there too, just to be sure; It runs the game fine, 3+ hours with no crashes.
It even gets about 10 more FPS (o.0)
Last edited by Zwets; 07-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.