Closed Thread

Xythe

DefaultDawning of an Endless Night Tier 18 *Spoilers*

So I finally got to do this quest the other day, and after a couple days have had some time to think about the mechanics and choices the character is faced to make at the end of the mission.

At the end your character is presented with a choice to receive the gift or to reject it. Now I am not a role player by any means, but whenever I play a story based game (especially an MMO where decisions are permanent) I have a set *story* for my character.

My character is the type who would reject the gift, as the lure and temptation of wealth and power is not something that interest him. He's here to shoot baddies in the face and save the princess.

When I got to this portion finally I saw the two NPC's run off, and on my screen one went to the gift and the other ran through a large space looking wall. I searched all around the room for something to reject the gift with, but never found anything. I did not think to run through the wall on my screen as I figured I would just collide with it, so I finally just decided to touch the gift thinking that it would present me with the option to either receive or reject it. Obviously that did not happen and now I have a character who made a completely out of character decision that I seem to be stuck with.

Now I understand this game requires you to think outside the box, but the problem I see here lies with the mechanics. Before you get to this story quest you have gone through three zones worth of content where you become conditioned to click on a quest object in order to continue with the quest. The only one that seemed any different is the one where you have to /suicide (or die to mobs) in order to see the ghost in the jail cell. I contemplated doing that here, but I assumed it would just make me redo the quest if I somehow died during it.

This severe ooc decision has put a damper on my personal story, and for the last couple days I have not really touched PvE content as I really wish I could redo that decision before I moved on. It may sound weird, but it almost feels as though my characters story is now "tainted" in some odd way.

I suggest putting a prompt before players accept the gift, something as simple "as are you sure", or maybe even a bigger warning to accept or reject the gift. Had I not looked at my quest log I would never have even noticed you had the option. After talking to a few people I found that they basically did the same thing, and made ooc decisions not because that was the choice they wanted, but because of the way the quest was designed.

Maybe it will never get changed, and I'm not about to pretend to know how much work it would be, but it would be nice if there was an option to go back and redo that quest for those of us who are now stuck with a choice we never wanted to make in the first place. I would be perfectly fine redoing all of tier 18 again if it allowed me to redo that decision, hell I'd probably redo the entire story line if it allowed me to change it, and at one point I even considered restarting my character. The only thing that stopped me was I currently have so much unlocked that it doesn't seem smart. I have been greatly enjoying this game, it's just a little sad that I now feel this way about my characters story.
Last edited by Xythe; 07-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Artalis

I agree. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

As you say we are conditioned to click on clickable things in order to learn and investigate. I had no idea that there was a choice going on.

Fortunately my character concept allows for an interpretation of the events that doesn't hurt anything too much but I totally understand what you mean.

Hell I don't even know what choice I made because I tried to investigate EVERYTHING.

I'm going to go back and reread my journal.

TorgaDW

oh hey, i just had the exact same thing happen. what a pos design that is for a major plot choice. still angry!

Aenya

Spoiler below:

You are later on (in a later storyline) given one more choice, as if the first one did not matter.

Hope this helps you at least a bit.

Xythe

I figured there were more people who ran into this issue. It would be nice to at least get a response on the issue to see if we had any chance at all to replay it. I talked to a GM but he seemed unsure about how to go through with fixing it, or if resetting it would cause an issue. If a GM could simply restart the quest for me, that would be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenya View Post
Spoiler below:

ยป Spoiler You are later on (in a later storyline) given one more choice, as if the first one did not matter.

Hope this helps you at least a bit.
I suppose it helps a little. I think what bothers me more is how this choice may change something much further down the line in the story and if I wind up engaging in dialogue that reflects my choice in tier 18, I will be sitting in my chair going NoooOOoo I didn't want to make that choice.

TorgaDW

I spoke to a GM, who said they can't help. But yeah, no guarantee i'll be able to see the next hidden choice either. Bad game design, making important choices reliant on obscure commands that go against the main interaction system.

demonofelru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xythe View Post
When I got to this portion finally I saw the two NPC's run off, and on my screen one went to the gift and the other ran through a large space looking wall. I searched all around the room for something to reject the gift with, but never found anything. I did not think to run through the wall on my screen as I figured I would just collide with it, so I finally just decided to touch the gift thinking that it would present me with the option to either receive or reject it. Obviously that did not happen and now I have a character who made a completely out of character decision that I seem to be stuck with.
Um, seriously? The bold part tells you exactly how you should have known what to do. This game is all about attention to detail. You lack it. That is not Funcom's fault.
What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the ubermensch: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment... ---Nietzsche

That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die. ---Lovecraft

TorgaDW

jump off a cliff in a game where that usually leads to a respawn and start again is the obvious answer? Really? meanwhile i only saw a lady standing next to the table with her head in her hands sobbing no no.

demonofelru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorgaDW View Post
jump off a cliff in a game where that usually leads to a respawn and start again is the obvious answer? Really? meanwhile i only saw a lady standing next to the table with her head in her hands sobbing no no.
I had no problems figuring it out. Yes, it was obvious.
What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the ubermensch: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment... ---Nietzsche

That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die. ---Lovecraft

Xythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofelru View Post
Um, seriously? The bold part tells you exactly how you should have known what to do. This game is all about attention to detail. You lack it. That is not Funcom's fault.
Watching an NPC run through a wall does not exactly translate into "this is how you reject the gift." Like I said I get thinking outside the box, but when the game has constantly been saying to you "here click on this item to advance the quest" for dozens of hours through three zones, you expect a little more than a guy running through a wall as your hint.

I had no problem translating Morse code, dying to figure out quests, and I have not used Google a to obtain a single walk through of any of the quests in this game at all. I play this game because it makes me think, because it makes me step back and use my brain, the problem is this quest does a bad job at the way it presents itself.

In the end it's a game, you have to sometimes fudge the mechanics to work into how players are going to interact with the game world. If this were somehow real life, my character would not put around as a mute saying nothing when some voice tells me to open a package, I would have simply flipped him off and kicked over the table. Obviously I didn't have this option. So I approached this quest the same way the game has had you do for the last three zones, click on items, get clues, then use those clues to figure out the problem. When the only clue is an NPC who is on screen for a few seconds, there is bound to be lots of issues. What happens if someone isn't looking at that moment, or has their camera panned away? There's no way to see them again, so if you miss it, you are stuck.
Closed Thread