bobbyk

DefaultDisconnection issues solved for some cable modem users!

For any of you having disconnection issues who are using a Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway Cable Modem, or using ANY cable modem that has a built in router, here is how I fixed my disconnection issues!

First off, when running a traceroute or ping -t to the game server, I was getting terrible packet loss, and my connection was being routed through telia.net servers along the way. I was literally getting disconnected from The Secret World every 2-5 minutes, and would get the Lost connection to server, would you like to reconnect message over and over.

Here is my solution.

My router had a setting called RG Passthrough, when enabled, turned off NAPT mode and disabled the router portion of the modem, giving my computer a "real" IP address and allowed my signal to be routed properly to the game servers.

Recap, enable RG Passthrough, your modem will reboot, and when it comes back up, you may get a message on your computer about a new network being found. Set up the new network on your computer which is very simple, just follow the steps, and hopefully you will now have a much better connection to the game servers and not be getting the packet loss/connection issues any longer.

It absolutely worked perfectly for me, I have been playing for 6 hours straight, and not one single disconnection.

I really hope this helps some people out there that have the same or similar cable modems where they are having disconnection issues with The Secret World, or any other online game for that matter.

Please reply and let me know if this helped you or anyone you know with disconnection issues!

Nuttaputt

DefaultNo such settings

Hmm.. I've got a ZyXEL P2602HWT (P-2602HWT-F3), I think it's a custom router from my ISP.

I find no RG Passthrough or NAPT settings in my router. Any idea what settings would have the same functions as this?

I tried disabling UPnP - but no luck, I'm afraid.

Malosar

Player Ab Initio

Sounds like you just entered some kind of bridge mode on your router, which effectively places your computer directly on the internet instead of behind NAT rounting. Not really a good idea.

Perhaps there's something else on your router that was causing issues? If there's any kind of SPI or packet filtering option, turn that off.
Proud member of Athen Paladins, a Templar Cabal on Cerberus
Anarchy Online players especially welcome, join here!
"I've spent nights in houses so filled with spirits, I had to perform exorcisms to take a dump"

bobbyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malosar View Post
Sounds like you just entered some kind of bridge mode on your router, which effectively places your computer directly on the internet instead of behind NAT rounting. Not really a good idea.

Perhaps there's something else on your router that was causing issues? If there's any kind of SPI or packet filtering option, turn that off.
That's exactly right, basically. Placed my cable modem into bridge mode. Not a good idea? I was getting disconnected from the game literally every two minutes! When my router wasn't set up like this, I was getting routed through telia.net server hops and they were giving me huge amount of packet loss. Best idea ever if you ask me. I can now play the game with no connection issues whatsoever.

Here are a copy of my traceroutes now that my router is in "bridge" mode, and below are the traceroutes from before the fix. Unfortunately, it won't show my packet loss, but it will show you how my internet connection is properly routed now through reliable servers.

Traceroute after fix
Tracing route to dm02-nj4.ageofconan.com [37.18.192.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 6 ms 7 ms **********
2 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms network-184-059-244-060.swo.rr.com [184.59.244.6
0]
3 12 ms 11 ms 17 ms ae0.tr00.clmkohpe.mwrtn.rr.com [65.189.140.142]

4 22 ms 23 ms 23 ms 107.14.19.60
5 21 ms 20 ms 21 ms 107.14.17.147
6 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms xe-10-0-0.edge2.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.59.28.101
]
7 21 ms 24 ms 24 ms vl-3504-ve-118.ebr1.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.69.15
8.14]
8 23 ms 21 ms 25 ms ae-6-6.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.140.189]
9 36 ms 37 ms 35 ms ae-2-2.ebr2.NewYork2.Level3.net [4.69.132.66]
10 36 ms 44 ms 37 ms ae-1-100.ebr1.NewYork2.Level3.net [4.69.135.253]

11 36 ms 37 ms 35 ms ae-4-4.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.141.17]
12 46 ms 50 ms 48 ms ae-2-2.ebr1.Newark1.Level3.net [4.69.132.98]
13 36 ms 37 ms 36 ms ae-12-51.car2.Newark1.Level3.net [4.69.156.6]
14 37 ms 43 ms 39 ms GAME-HOSTIN.car2.Newark1.Level3.net [4.28.188.70
]
15 37 ms 37 ms 35 ms 37.18.192.7
16 36 ms 37 ms 37 ms dm02-nj4.ageofconan.com [37.18.192.36]

Trace complete.

Now BEFORE the fix (Notice the telia.net hops... most unreliable, packet loss infested servers ever)
Tracing route to dm02-nj4.thesecretworld.com [37.18.192.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 7 ms 5 ms **********
2 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms network-184-059-244-054.swo.rr.com [184.59.244.5
4]
3 17 ms 16 ms 17 ms ae1.tr00.clevohek.mwrtn.rr.com [65.189.140.130]

4 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms 107.14.19.58
5 69 ms 31 ms 25 ms 107.14.19.135
6 27 ms 31 ms * ash-bb1-link.telia.net [213.248.89.193]
7 33 ms 46 ms 32 ms nyk-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.248.185]
8 34 ms 32 ms * nyk-b2-link.telia.net [213.155.130.28]
9 32 ms 31 ms 31 ms gamehosting-ic-153821-nyk-b2.c.telia.net [80.239
.195.46]
10 31 ms 34 ms 30 ms 37.18.192.7
11 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms dm02-nj4.ageofconan.com [37.18.192.36]

Trace complete.

SWTaranx

My Disconnections are through Optik DSL so not a cable ISP, but still connection issues

Have you run shields https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 up since you made the changes? Just wondering if you are now unprotected

At least the effort you have gone to might help support realize what sort of filering or security a lot of people have could be causing this on their end of communicating

bobbyk

Well, I can still use a firewall on my computer, and simply make exceptions to The Secret World and its ports. Just because you bypass the router portion of a cable modem/gateway/router doesn't mean you have to be left unprotected.

Also, I can still use the firewall that comes built into my cable modem if I choose. It's totally up to me or anyone else in this situation.

Main reason I made this thread was to let people know my specific issue, how I resolved the issue, because your ISP and Funcom support can't do much about internet hops outside their servers, and hopefully help others who may have the same or a similar cable modem. It took me 5 days to figure out the problem and exactly what was causing it.

The cable modem/router combos are crap and are what was causing my issues, bottom line. Disable the router part like I have instructed, and hook up your own router if you insist on using a router. Anyone using the same cable modem as I have, the Motorola Surfboard SBG6580, and are having disconnection/packet loss issues, I can almost guarantee this will solve your problems!

If you need more help than I've given or have any questions, feel free to reply. I will continue to keep an eye on my posts.

Nuttaputt

DefaultSolved?

You know, I think a similar solution might have worked for me too.

I have a multimodem (router and modem -> same device), and under WAN-settings I found that I could choose between two modes: "routing" and "bridge".

It's been set to routing-mode all along, so now I changed it to bridge-mode. I tried playing, and guess what: I played for 45 minutes without problems. That's the longest I've ever played, and I quit the game myself because it was late...

So, clearly, it's some conflict with the router functionality. While routing, I was connected to my ISP through DHCP. Now, by bridging, I'm connected through PPPoE. Although, I had the option to put it in PPPoE-mode while routing, and I tried this, but it didn't work then.

So what EXACTLY is causing this issue, I don't know. But something with the router is most likely.

The down-side to this is that by bridging, I am only able to connect one computer at a time...

bobbyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttaputt View Post
You know, I think a similar solution might have worked for me too.

I have a multimodem (router and modem -> same device), and under WAN-settings I found that I could choose between two modes: "routing" and "bridge".

It's been set to routing-mode all along, so now I changed it to bridge-mode. I tried playing, and guess what: I played for 45 minutes without problems. That's the longest I've ever played, and I quit the game myself because it was late...

So, clearly, it's some conflict with the router functionality. While routing, I was connected to my ISP through DHCP. Now, by bridging, I'm connected through PPPoE. Although, I had the option to put it in PPPoE-mode while routing, and I tried this, but it didn't work then.

So what EXACTLY is causing this issue, I don't know. But something with the router is most likely.

The down-side to this is that by bridging, I am only able to connect one computer at a time...
You can always go out and by a router then hook it up to the modem. Sucks that a lot of the combo router/modems have issues.

Farmer

just sprung to my mind:

test your computer:
http://dns-changer.eu/

Nuttaputt

DefaultBridge + router

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk View Post
You can always go out and by a router then hook it up to the modem. Sucks that a lot of the combo router/modems have issues.
Yeah. That's true. Just put the multimodem in bridge and use it as the modem, then connect another router to it. Hmm, never went through my mind, good idea :-)

When I think about it, my old router may be laying around somewhere. I'll try to connect that to the bridge modem, and I'll let you know how the game plays then! :-)