Boggart

DefaultFaction Rank uniforms

I was a little surprised at the minor differences in the higher-rank Faction multislot uniforms. Can this be on the table for enhancement, down the road?

As it is, across the 4 or 5 ranks I've unlocked, the only difference is near-random stripe patterns and minor cuff detail. From a distance or in a mixed group, you can hardly tell them apart or tell who's who.
James "Boggart" Macallan | The Twelve-Gauge Mage

skorp10

Ever seen the difference in the uniforms between a Private and a General?

They're essentially the same, except with more stripes/stars/ribbons on the General. They're standard uniforms for all ranks.

theartofscience

Yep, I thought this was a nice touch of realism. It makes the faction uniforms more like uniforms and it's miltaristic in nature.

Ruthik

Yep. Btw, fix my damned Templar uniform. Tired of it being pink.

Tre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorp10 View Post
Ever seen the difference in the uniforms between a Private and a General?

They're essentially the same, except with more stripes/stars/ribbons on the General. They're standard uniforms for all ranks.
The thing is... This isn't real life, and I'm not playing TSW to feel like im in the military.

It's cool that that's how it is done in real life, but these are made up ranks, and it just seems like such a waste to spend alot of time ranking higher in your faction, and all you really have to show for it is an extra stripe. Nobody really cares to be honest. Nobody says: "hey, nice extra stripe, you must be rank: X"

To me it seems so wasteful to add practically identical copies of the same outfit you unlock at rank 3. I would have liked to see different unlocks for higher ranks. Such as, just the suit without the gasmask, or the armour the Illuminati NPCs wear, hell just a few little Illuminati branded bits of clothing would have been nice, as I rank up.

Like I said, I'm aware that this is how it is done in real life, and in the military. TSW is neither of those, and people generally don't like being rewarded with something they essentially already have, for even more effort. It would have been nice if there were actually unique unlocks at the ranks that would provide you with the outfits.
"The Illuminati... I'm with the Illuminati."
Originally Posted by Psygnosis: "My biggest concern about the community feel as a whole right now is that anyone who dares suggest something different from the current design gets tarred and feathered and tossed in the general direction of WoW. My vote is to allow people to express themselves. And trust our dev team to stay true their vision"

thatfool

I like how the Dragon uniforms work. Only minor differences in the patterns, but very fitting imo.

Miatog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre View Post
The thing is... This isn't real life, and I'm not playing TSW to feel like im in the military.
But that's exactly what you're doing. You're part of a secret society, I haven't played Illuminati at all so I don't how they -treat- you. Templar makes it very clear, you are a soilder, you are now part of a private army. The Dragon makes you out to be another cog in the machine, a cog they will no control directly and use it to manipulate the other cogs so they get what they want. I can only assume that the Illuminati do something similar. You are a soilder, wearing a uniform.

Quote:
It's cool that that's how it is done in real life, but these are made up ranks, and it just seems like such a waste to spend alot of time ranking higher in your faction, and all you really have to show for it is an extra stripe. Nobody really cares to be honest. Nobody says: "hey, nice extra stripe, you must be rank: X"
I have. I pug in dungeons, look at uniforms and go "Oh hey, nice job on getting that rank." Admittedly only with Templar's as I know what to look for, but I do it. And if I RP'd more and saw uniforms, I'd learn the rank names and treat it properly.

Quote:
To me it seems so wasteful to add practically identical copies of the same outfit you unlock at rank 3. I would have liked to see different unlocks for higher ranks. Such as, just the suit without the gasmask, or the armour the Illuminati NPCs wear, hell just a few little Illuminati branded bits of clothing would have been nice, as I rank up.
What do you expect from a UNIFORM? Which by definition, is made to UNIFORM.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm aware that this is how it is done in real life, and in the military. TSW is neither of those, and people generally don't like being rewarded with something they essentially already have, for even more effort. It would have been nice if there were actually unique unlocks at the ranks that would provide you with the outfits.
As I said above, you are in the TSW army. Normally I would agree with you but in this instance, I actually feel that it's a nice touch, it helps with the feel of the game, it makes me feel like I have ranked up more than something totally different would.
The darkness comes to far. Initiate the Corinthians protocall! The passcodes are 12 and 12! The Key is B!
My Chronicle page
Skills mastered 26/26 - Wheel completion 76.9%
422/455 lore - 259/517 achievements

Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre View Post
and it just seems like such a waste to spend alot of time ranking higher in your faction, and all you really have to show for it is an extra stripe.
How much extra work are you putting in to get the higher faction ranks? Don't they come through just gaining experience normally?

I am one of the folks who likes it as is, faction uniforms should be just that, uniform. Factions shouldn't look like a bunch of different people all in different styles etc when they are wearing their official dress. The minor changes were a brilliant decision on Funcoms part in my opinion.

Tre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
But that's exactly what you're doing. You're part of a secret society, I haven't played Illuminati at all so I don't how they -treat- you. Templar makes it very clear, you are a soilder, you are now part of a private army. The Dragon makes you out to be another cog in the machine, a cog they will no control directly and use it to manipulate the other cogs so they get what they want. I can only assume that the Illuminati do something similar. You are a soilder, wearing a uniform.

I have. I pug in dungeons, look at uniforms and go "Oh hey, nice job on getting that rank." Admittedly only with Templar's as I know what to look for, but I do it. And if I RP'd more and saw uniforms, I'd learn the rank names and treat it properly.

What do you expect from a UNIFORM? Which by definition, is made to UNIFORM.

As I said above, you are in the TSW army. Normally I would agree with you but in this instance, I actually feel that it's a nice touch, it helps with the feel of the game, it makes me feel like I have ranked up more than something totally different would.
Fair enough. I do understand these points, I truly do, and I did as I made my post aswell. I'm not trying to dispute that that's the reason things are done this way...

I just feel like, fresher rewards would have been more.. well, rewarding.
Originally Posted by Psygnosis: "My biggest concern about the community feel as a whole right now is that anyone who dares suggest something different from the current design gets tarred and feathered and tossed in the general direction of WoW. My vote is to allow people to express themselves. And trust our dev team to stay true their vision"

Tre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
How much extra work are you putting in to get the higher faction ranks? Don't they come through just gaining experience normally?

I am one of the folks who likes it as is, faction uniforms should be just that, uniform. Factions shouldn't look like a bunch of different people all in different styles etc when they are wearing their official dress. The minor changes were a brilliant decision on Funcoms part in my opinion.
I suppose it isn't extra work in terms of having to go out of your way in order to achieve the increased exp needed for each action rank.

But from a perspective, with the increased exp needed, if it is the faction ranks you are after, each rank does somewhat become a bit more work.