Reply
Thread Tools

unforgotten

unforgotten's Avatar

DefaultHammer/choas Blade/chaos

hi, i am new to tanking in tsw and have been using hammer/chaos to tank so far, iv done polaris with np but been hearing alot about hammer not being as good later on in elites and nightmares. I wanted to go blades orginaly but my friend said hammer was good, but tbh i dont like it. Was wondering if anyone can help me out with a starter blade/chaos build?

mirradin

Chaos/blade outperforms Chaos/hammer by a bit right now, but not enough that hammer isn't viable. The big advantage to blade comes with organized groups. One of hammer's biggest advantages is the debilitated debuff, which sword users need to get a dps to apply to the boss. If your groups don't plan ahead for that, then hammer's will outperform blade every time. Other than that, blade is focused on defense and glancing blows vs. hammer's focusing on blocks. A glanced attack is just more damage reduction which gives a somewhat large advantage.

Greven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirradin View Post
Chaos/blade outperforms Chaos/hammer by a bit right now, but not enough that hammer isn't viable. The big advantage to blade comes with organized groups. One of hammer's biggest advantages is the debilitated debuff, which sword users need to get a dps to apply to the boss. If your groups don't plan ahead for that, then hammer's will outperform blade every time. Other than that, blade is focused on defense and glancing blows vs. hammer's focusing on blocks. A glanced attack is just more damage reduction which gives a somewhat large advantage.
This is an inaccurate representation of the strengths of blades vs. hammers. Block is fine, great actually. The difference between the weapons (and the reason blades is typically better) are that Crimson Theatre (currently) is absurdly good, and that Martial Discipline is also an extremely useful tanking CD as well as many people swearing by Art of War as their go to tanking elite (I often use Stoicism personally, but having Art of War as an option is insanely good). I personally also find Brandish to be an amazing tanking tool. It isn't about defense vs. block (really) it's about the actual active (and related passive) abilities.

artainx

I`m using Hammer/Chaos..haven`t tried Blades yet.

From my experience (still in savage coast) i`ve been enjoying the Hammer passives to block dmg and the synergy it has with Chaos. Chaos weakens the targets and Hammer works on that. I`ve tanked Polaris 10 times and Inferno 5-7 times.

My hammer passives also reduce dmg i receive and can also reduce dmg the enemies to do me / group.

I personally enjoy hammers and chaos and have no plans to try Blade/Chaos.

unforgotten

unforgotten's Avatar

hmm interesting, would anyone be able to give me a example of a chaos/hammer tank build.

174298

Quote:
Originally Posted by unforgotten View Post
hmm interesting, would anyone be able to give me a example of a chaos/hammer tank build.
http://tswguides.blogspot.com/2012/0...tion-from.html

-this worked for me fine,did all elites but its not ideal.

Greven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 174298 View Post
http://tswguides.blogspot.com/2012/0...tion-from.html

-this worked for me fine,did all elites but its not ideal.
I really can't buy into a tank build without Fuel to the Fire and only a single defensive CD. I'd get Fuel in for Improved Blast and find space for at least Illusion amongst the actives. I love me some Stoicism, but you want to have something else to pop to survive.

174298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greven View Post
I really can't buy into a tank build without Fuel to the Fire and only a single defensive CD. I'd get Fuel in for Improved Blast and find space for at least Illusion amongst the actives. I love me some Stoicism, but you want to have something else to pop to survive.
for me the only problem was agro..

Greven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 174298 View Post
for me the only problem was agro..
Not having Fuel to the Fire will do that. For threat purposes it is critical and, again, I couldn't see tanking without it.

mirradin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greven View Post
This is an inaccurate representation of the strengths of blades vs. hammers. Block is fine, great actually. The difference between the weapons (and the reason blades is typically better) are that Crimson Theatre (currently) is absurdly good, and that Martial Discipline is also an extremely useful tanking CD as well as many people swearing by Art of War as their go to tanking elite (I often use Stoicism personally, but having Art of War as an option is insanely good). I personally also find Brandish to be an amazing tanking tool. It isn't about defense vs. block (really) it's about the actual active (and related passive) abilities.
Actually it's a quite accurate representation. Yes CT does too much damage for a tanking ability. But what I said about block is 100% true. If you google the stats you will find people who have checked the numbers on the defense vs evasion vs block. Evasion is almost 2x as much damage reduction per rating point, and defense is nearly as good as evasion. Block just provides bad reduction to damage per point, despite getting more block % per point compared to the other stats.
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.