Warin

PostTanking: Protection (Phys/Mag) vs Mitigation (Evade/Glance/Block)

Protection is looking good!:
Code:
Rating	Damage  DR      Rat/%
249	12,194	0,00%   
315	11,848	2,85%   23,2
454	11,382	6,66%   30,8
648	10,733	11,98%  33,3
714	10,556	13,44%  34,6

Amount of Rating needed to reduce damage by 1% is between 23 and 35 in this sample, it starting at 249 instead of 0 is messing with the "cost" so to say. It's going to decrease in efficiency slower and slower though.
Protection is looking very hot right now, bad thing it ofcourse can't proc anything like the other stats, AND you have to know what you're up against. But it prevents burst much better than all other defensive stats.

Lets compare it to the DR you get from stacking mitigation. NB Theese numbers ignore enemy penetration and critical hits.
Code:
       Proc	Cost	Rating needed for 1% DR
Block  39,88	33	82,75
Glance 74	44	59,46
Evade  142	66	46,48
Protection is better than even evade, but it reduces every hit (of EITHER magical or physical), also it doesn't reduce penetration damage.

(How I do this, let 1 kind of mob hit me for around 3k times per rating. Then remove glancing, blocks, crits and penetrates. Comparing only average normal damage over 2k ish hits per rating to eachother. Also make sure I remove RNG where at all possible)

Thanks to Rekreant, who's been very persistent in claiming that prot is good even though everyone else said it sucks.
Last edited by Warin; 08-04-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Christopher "Warin" Quinn Templar - Arcadia - Tank
Nine Swords
Now celebrating 1k Bullions spent on tank gear, mostly PUGing

deadman

very interesting..... not

why didnt you come with already some figures?!

Knuckledust

protection doesnt offer enough % protection to overcome evade/glance/evade, simples

Kryzen

hasn't it already been proving protection is the weakest tank stat?
Thank your local Theory Crafter. Theory Crafters are the ones who come up with the builds that let you beat the game!

Warin

Updated OP again now, temporary conclusion too. If you know what you're fighting Protection stats is HAWT! ;D
Nine Swords

lordkonst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Updated OP again now, temporary conclusion too. If you know what you're fighting Protection stats is HAWT! ;D
I think that if someone had the time/patience to make a compilation of what kind of damage each boss does / what kind of mitigation would be better for each boss would be awesome.

sao-link

I got some parses where I was tanking some elite dungeons last night.

SH:
Psychoassailant: 100% magical, even robot adds dealt magical
NKL-107: 100% magical, besides the big AoE (burning plasma) which is physical, but you shouldn't get hit by it anyways.
Obyeckt 279: 100% magical
Cybulski: 100% physical
Vampiric Plunderer: 100% physical
Aleksei-Cheytre: 100% magical, although Aleksei-Dwa and his adds deals 100% physical

Polaris:
Haugbui Jarl: physical attack (~80%), magical skills (~20%)
Blarbane Sorceress: 100% magical
The Varangian: physical attack (~85%), magical skills (~15%)
Haugbui Mother: physical, adds magical
Primordinal Dweller: magical, adds physical
Ur-Draug: primarily physical (~85%) although breath does magical (~15%)

Hell Fallen:
Archaeomachinist: 100% physical, incl. adds
Arch-Myrmidon: 100% physical, incl. adds
Engine Tyrants: 100% physical, adds, AoE, everything
Executrix: she does magical, although all of the adds do physical
Iron Catastrophe and friends: physical, but magical with lava erruption
Wicker Event: 100% Physical, even lightning grenades

The Ankh:
Squalid Hekaturgist: physical, but tank-centered AoE which is magical
Doctor Klein: 100% magical
Orochi Dead Ops: 100% physical
Dimensional Arachnid: physical attacks (~70%), everything else is filth
The Colossus: First two guards deal magical, second duards deals physical, spawning adds deal magical
Pit Dweller: physical, AoE is filth
Colossus round 2: physical (65%) and filth (35%). Even normal attacks deal filth damage sometimes.
Klein round 2: physical (yeah, the same attacks that did magical during first encounter) and filth (from the buff)

Hope this helps some.

Warin

Great stuff. Thanks
Nine Swords

zombocom

/subscribe
on the gripping hand, you could always just full screen the youtube video of downing the boss and flail at your keyboard....end results probably about the same.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/zoss

Eedesti

but you have to consider the other benefits of block and defence, lowering the chance of recieving penetrated and critical hits. so stacking prot is not the way to go until you meet figths that always seem to pentetrate/crit you no matter how much block/def you stack.

i noticed a extreme diffrence in my recived dmg when i went from evade/def to block/def on some bosses in hr/polaris (nm ofcourse)

but good job testing this, and all tanks should keep items of every mitigation type. there is no "one-set-to-rule-them-all"

Edit: but if you want to overturn us block/def-fans, post some parses from nm with block/def vs magical/physical (tuned to each specific fight)
Last edited by Eedesti; 08-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.