lockwoodx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minttunator View Post
I guess that sort of makes sense - thanks for clarifying!
MMO players are collectors at heart. They collect loot, achievements, (even friends for those guild type socialites). It's all about making your account the most valuable before dumping it, because to some who cannot achieve in real live, virtual accomplishments are the next best thing.

gojusuzi

Why would your Steam account get banned? o_0
If that's a risk, well, gamble if you like, but I'd hope that for the majority of us it's not exactly an issue.

And yes, swag and achievements and such are like crack to us with Type A personalities.

DrHelio

My view is NOT for any other reason than i just like having my games all in one place. Had they released it on steam first I would have bought it there, but there is no way to know if it would have come to steam.

My fear is that since EA is involved that they will simply not care. I really don't want to wait until this game goes free to play (or just fails all together) to get it on steam.

Simple fact is that I bought the rights to play the game, I just want to play it the way i want to (which everything ingame is usually geared for that haha).

for those of us who have steam, it's a meaningful argument, and if no one says how they would like to enjoy their game then the devs will be rather clueless as to how to make their product more appealing.

let's face it, if a company like FC would break the mold and offer something like what I mentioned in a previous post and others post as well, then the company gains respect and happy customers. "OH MAN, FC is such a great company! They actually listen and work with their customers" things like that get said and it draws people.

It's a lot more then just getting to play it on steam, its a statement and and action in the right direction and will build loyal fans.

jamnik_pucek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHelio View Post
My view is NOT for any other reason than i just like having my games all in one place. Had they released it on steam first I would have bought it there, but there is no way to know if it would have come to steam.

My fear is that since EA is involved that they will simply not care. I really don't want to wait until this game goes free to play (or just fails all together) to get it on steam.

Simple fact is that I bought the rights to play the game, I just want to play it the way i want to (which everything ingame is usually geared for that haha).

for those of us who have steam, it's a meaningful argument, and if no one says how they would like to enjoy their game then the devs will be rather clueless as to how to make their product more appealing.

let's face it, if a company like FC would break the mold and offer something like what I mentioned in a previous post and others post as well, then the company gains respect and happy customers. "OH MAN, FC is such a great company! They actually listen and work with their customers" things like that get said and it draws people.

It's a lot more then just getting to play it on steam, its a statement and and action in the right direction and will build loyal fans.
...Thats a little bit over-dramatic, isn't it?

You can run it via steam and using the steam overlay without any problems. I would want to fully integrate my copy into Steam, sure, but you do not actually loose any functionality outside the Steam-specific clothes. Leaderboards and achievements are in-game, you can even compare the former with your friends. You can use the chat, screenshot feature, etc by running the non-steam game through steam too.

The pre-order pets are vendor specific too. Won't have everything in game unless FC decides to release it via cash shop or sth to everyone somewhere down the line.

DrHelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnik_pucek View Post
...Thats a little bit over-dramatic, isn't it?

You can run it via steam and using the steam overlay without any problems. I would want to fully integrate my copy into Steam, sure, but you do not actually loose any functionality outside the Steam-specific clothes. Leaderboards and achievements are in-game, you can even compare the former with your friends. You can use the chat, screenshot feature, etc by running the non-steam game through steam too.

The pre-order pets are vendor specific too. Won't have everything in game unless FC decides to release it via cash shop or sth to everyone somewhere down the line.
you are kind of missing the point though, I don't want to have to go to this site and that site and have to go all over to download things. having it done via steam is really awesome. I do not care about any supposed pets or perks you would get for getting it on steam or anything else. I just want to have it available to me to use steam alone vs using another site over all the other sites people have to use. It's more functionality.

I appologize if I sound dramatic to you but that is not my intent, I like quite a few others, just want to see change in a good direction and to see innovation within a field that a lot of people really like (such as videogames)

sure at the end of the day its not a huge deal, and really it's just a stupid silly BS thing. but when ever you spend a decent sum of money, you are casting a vote, and I just want to see that my vote counts for what I (and many others) would like to see happy.

nothing may come of it, but at least I know that I tried <3.

Love and peace,
~Dr. Helio

UncleShoggoth

I've never used Steam for an MMO, but I guess it would be nice if those who wanted it had the option to use Steam for TSW without having to buy another key.

jamnik_pucek

Quote:
you are kind of missing the point though, I don't want to have to go to this site and that site and have to go all over to download things. having it done via steam is really awesome. I do not care about any supposed pets or perks you would get for getting it on steam or anything else. I just want to have it available to me to use steam alone vs using another site over all the other sites people have to use. It's more functionality.

I appologize if I sound dramatic to you but that is not my intent, I like quite a few others, just want to see change in a good direction and to see innovation within a field that a lot of people really like (such as videogames)

sure at the end of the day its not a huge deal, and really it's just a stupid silly BS thing. but when ever you spend a decent sum of money, you are casting a vote, and I just want to see that my vote counts for what I (and many others) would like to see happy.

nothing may come of it, but at least I know that I tried <3.

Love and peace,
~Dr. Helio
Even if you own an MMO via Steam, you will only download the updater through it, the same thing you download from FC's account manager. Any account management functions will be done via FC's website, as it is with any other MMO you get via Steam. The only difference is that instead of logging into the FC website to get the downloader you would need to do it via Steam.

Same thing goes for updates and anything else. The only difference between the Steam version and a non-Steam shortcut (besides the integration which isn't really functionality since both achievements and leaderboards are available in-game anyway) is the initial installer download.

lockwoodx

I'm proof Steam accounts cannot be banned lol.

Hamsterkill

Quote:
Just so you know, EA has absolutely no involvement in the game besides putting boxed copies in North American stores.

Direphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minttunator View Post
Could someone please explain why people want to add their existing TSW accounts to Steam? So they could no longer access the game when their Steam account gets banned, or...?

Don't get me wrong, I like Steam, but why would I want TSW in Steam when I can currently play it without even launching the Steam client? What am I missing?
I know that I'd like to link my copy of TSW with Steam so that when I play TSW, my friends on Steam sill see that I'm playing TSW. I can set the game up to launch through Steam now, but to Steam and my friends on Steam, while they can see that I'm online, they only see that I'm playing a 'non-Steam game'... which is pretty useless. My friends have no idea that I'm playing TSW unless they decide to chat directly with me, but Steam doesn't know that they have players playing this game, and it doesn't get tracked and the performance of TSW looks less than what it could and should.

If this game were F2P, I could simply start to download the client through Steam, stop the download, and then cut 'n' paste the rest of my files from the current directory into the new Steam location and it would be all set up treated just like a Steam game. However, the way it's set up now I would have to buy another copy of the game through Steam to do that.
Last edited by Direphoenix; 08-12-2012 at 03:54 AM.