Mr Fun

DefaultStat/Skill caps?

I've looked around and maybe I over-looked it, or my searches were fail, but.. I was wondering about stat/skill caps?
Ultima Online had a 250 point cap for 3 stats, str, dex, and int. They were gained form skills that used the stats. Then the skills were capped at 700 so people could have a template character, but still be semi unique about it without being over powered or gimped.
Then came Darkfall online where they claimed no skill/stat caps at all just skill deterioration if not used, and the more skills you had, the longer it would take to get another skill point.(I will add my opinion to the bottom.)

TSW is claiming that they have a no class system just like both of the examples I just gave (forgive me if there are more) but have they mentioned if they will use skill deterioration for not using the skills? or a skill cap system? Or perhaps even just an open ended WTF ever you wanna do system with no limitations?

Now for my opinion, (if you dont care move on). IMHO, games without frontiers are like cigarettes. They keep you occupied and make you happy for a while but then you start wakeing up in the morning feelign horrid and hacking up a lung and eventualy they kill you.
I would much more prefer a skill cap system and have the skill flexable enough that no one will be hurt from not using a template.
For example: I want to make a bomb to blow up a car. I could use my "explosives skill" to try and make that bomb, which also allows me to accurately use gernades and explosive ammunitions - OR - I could use my Chemistry skills to build a bomb which on the side will allow me to also make acid to open locks, or to make a molotov cocktail... hell even napalm?
I get my web hosting and TeamSpeak 3 hosting from www.ReconHosting.com!

Mr Fun

DefaultStat/Skill caps?

I've looked around and maybe I over-looked it, or my searches were fail, but.. I was wondering about stat/skill caps?
Ultima Online had a 250 point cap for 3 stats, str, dex, and int. They were gained form skills that used the stats. Then the skills were capped at 700 so people could have a template character, but still be semi unique about it without being over powered or gimped.
Then came Darkfall online where they claimed no skill/stat caps at all just skill deterioration if not used, and the more skills you had, the longer it would take to get another skill point.(I will add my opinion to the bottom.)

TSW is claiming that they have a no class system just like both of the examples I just gave (forgive me if there are more) but have they mentioned if they will use skill deterioration for not using the skills? or a skill cap system? Or perhaps even just an open ended WTF ever you wanna do system with no limitations?

Now for my opinion, (if you dont care move on). IMHO, games without frontiers are like cigarettes. They keep you occupied and make you happy for a while but then you start wakeing up in the morning feelign horrid and hacking up a lung and eventualy they kill you.
I would much more prefer a skill cap system and have the skill flexable enough that no one will be hurt from not using a template.
For example: I want to make a bomb to blow up a car. I could use my "explosives skill" to try and make that bomb, which also allows me to accurately use gernades and explosive ammunitions - OR - I could use my Chemistry skills to build a bomb which on the side will allow me to also make acid to open locks, or to make a molotov cocktail... hell even napalm?

Mr Fun

DefaultStat/Skill caps?

Dojohokage

I'm sure that there will be some sort of skill cap. Would be kinda boring if everyone was good at everything.

Dojohokage

I'm sure that there will be some sort of skill cap. Would be kinda boring if everyone was good at everything.

Dojohokage

Bargi

Ab Initio

From GDC-article at Massively.com (linked on top of forum):
Quote:
The Secret World is an MMO with no specific classes or levels to worry about. The meat of your character's development centers on powers such as fire magic, healing, assault rifle, etc. There are hundreds of these powers in the game, but you will need to construct builds of 14 powers to take with you into combat. Seven of these are for active powers visible in your UI, and seven are for passive powers not directly visible on the UI. You gain XP and special points to purchase these powers, and according to Funcom, as long as you have these powers on your character, you can switch them around to create various builds before entering combat. This allows more options for those alt-a-holics among us who may want to play a healer one day and a tank the next. While this is a more diverse system (with no class restrictions), I can't help but be reminded of Guild Wars and how much I enjoy their restricted skill-based combat system. Actually, it almost seems to be a mix of Champions Online and Guild Wars.

Lead designer, Martin Bruusgaard referenced the comparison to a collectible card game when talking about this system of arranging powers. You can collect them throughout the game, and even well into the endgame. The active powers act in direct relation to combat, while the passive powers work to supplement those active powers. One example we were given was an active power with a knockback of three meters. When this is combined with a passive power that adds two more meters to any knockback, you have a five-meter knockback.
So you'll be able to buil many powers, but at any time you can have 7 active and 7 passive for use. But you can switch which is to be used at any time.
Bel "Rincewind" Shamaroth
The Free City of Lochlainn
Pants are - everything taken into consideration - still optional

Bargi

Ab Initio

Quote:
The Secret World is an MMO with no specific classes or levels to worry about. The meat of your character's development centers on powers such as fire magic, healing, assault rifle, etc. There are hundreds of these powers in the game, but you will need to construct builds of 14 powers to take with you into combat. Seven of these are for active powers visible in your UI, and seven are for passive powers not directly visible on the UI. You gain XP and special points to purchase these powers, and according to Funcom, as long as you have these powers on your character, you can switch them around to create various builds before entering combat. This allows more options for those alt-a-holics among us who may want to play a healer one day and a tank the next. While this is a more diverse system (with no class restrictions), I can't help but be reminded of Guild Wars and how much I enjoy their restricted skill-based combat system. Actually, it almost seems to be a mix of Champions Online and Guild Wars.

Lead designer, Martin Bruusgaard referenced the comparison to a collectible card game when talking about this system of arranging powers. You can collect them throughout the game, and even well into the endgame. The active powers act in direct relation to combat, while the passive powers work to supplement those active powers. One example we were given was an active power with a knockback of three meters. When this is combined with a passive power that adds two more meters to any knockback, you have a five-meter knockback.
So you'll be able to buil many powers, but at any time you can have 7 active and 7 passive for use. But you can switch which is to be used at any time.

Bargi

Ab Initio

Quote:

Telperion

The use of skills doesn't rule out the use of Attributes, to define your character better: take Matrix Online, for example.

Characters didn't have any profession, they had skills and skillsets they could download into their memory, with limitations not unlike the NCU system in Anarchy Online (when your memory is full, you can't equip more skills). But they were also defined by a number of base attributes, which reflected how good said character was at using one type of skills or another: let's say that a character with high Perception will perform better when using ranged weapons, while a character with high Intelligence will perform better with Heals and Spells...

I'm pretty sure there will me some kind of limitations regarding the skills, it would be a game-killer to let everybody just be good at everything.
Etienne "Orillion" Escobar