Charlemagne

DefaultChaos/Shotgun Tank? Does anyone even do that? Pro Tank advice needed.

I did a little searching, and I haven't seen a thread focused on Chaos/Shotgun Tanking. Is there anyone out there who Tanks with this combo? I'd like to try it. The build would focus on stacking Evade, Protection, and Debilitated to reduce damage, and apply Exposed to help the team out. Gear would be largely Health-based, with a sprinkling of Attack Rating maybe. Glyphs would be split between Physical/Magical Protection and Evade rating.

So for those of you who are Tanking pros and/or have used this combo: does it work well? I ask because I'd rather not spend tons of points on this build and then find out it isn't all that great.

Any help or tips would be appreciated!
Well, since my baby left me,
I've found a new place to dwell,
It's down at the end of Lonely Street,
At Heartbreak Hotel.

koralis

I think the main reason no one does it is that neither one of the weapons has "extra threat" Actives (correct me if I'm wrong.) It's not neccessarily insurmountable, but you'd need to grab a lot of the threat passives/actives from Misc to keep up.
House of the Blackened Sun

My soul now hangs in limbo,
I dread each rising sun.
My masters play upon my mind
and whisper all-in-one.

escritores

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
I think the main reason no one does it is that neither one of the weapons has "extra threat" Actives (correct me if I'm wrong.) It's not neccessarily insurmountable, but you'd need to grab a lot of the threat passives/actives from Misc to keep up.
You're wrong...
Escritores
Recruitment Officer of
RAGNAROK
A founding Illuminati Cabal
Guild Forum | Recruitment

cheeseface

i tried it a couple times, it's kind of short on impairs

Eth-

If it's about debilitate, you can just use Clearing the Path as a blade finisher with 12 Gouge. You can even use Mitigating Factor then for a 150 extra protection.
Eth - Secretly modding your TSW

UltimateCrafter - Buff Bars - Fixed Gear Manager - Advanced Tradepost - SimpleTeamWindow - MissionHelper - Loot Manager - TopMenu+

Also working (or trying) on a TSW Database

Lupan

One of my cabal's directors runs Chaos/Shotgun. I'll log on later and see if I don't have his build saved.

I know the actives are something like:

Striker
Escalation
Defensive Turret
Reality Fracture
Stoicism
6/7 Helter Skelter/Provoke/Mass Provoke/The first 40% Evade Buff/Smoke and Mirrors/Chaotic Pull
Death From Above (Purple overdrive signet)

Passives are something like:

Strike debil passive. (The ability after striker)
Agitator
Extended Fracture
Turbulence
The 7.5% ward buff for hitting a weakened target from Chaos
That Shotgun Phys/Mag Prot ability (Hardcase(?))
Rocket Science

I think the 7th passive might be Fuel to the Fire, but I could be wrong.

Ryahl

Quick answer, there's no real reason why you couldn't do it. Your OP has a few too many goals in it, but it's mostly on track.

For NM's, usually the tank no longer applies debilitate, that usually comes from a DPS and even with shotgun as an active, you'll still probably leave that to them.

Your tank build needs threat, mitigation and on demand impairs. You pickup some of each from this combo.

I'd probably run something along the lines of:

Actives:
Escalation
Karma - Four Horseman
Raging Bullet
Chaotic Pull
Domino Effect
Reality Fracture
Defensive Turret

Passives
Intensity
Hardcase
Agitator
Paradigm Shift, Hysteria, or Fever Pitch (depending on hit level)
Shoot 'em Up
Forged in Fire
Turbulence

You have active hate generation coming in from Escalation and Reality Fracture along with reasonably decent threat generation from the Agitator modified abilities.

You have two impairs coming from Chaotic Pull and Domino Effect. I don't personally like DE very much, but chaos lacks a better short recycle impair. CP works wonderfully and is a stock part of just about any tank build I run.

You pickup some mitigation from the shotgun passive and the chaos passive (but you need evades to trigger that - hence Turbulence). You also chip in on mitigation with Defensive Turret. I would probably alternate rotations between Defensive Turret and Raging Bullet (I'd worry about leaving out a consumer every round for hate generation in this build).

I have Shoot 'em Up in here because i usually apply affliction in our groups. That could easily be removed.

I'd change out Karma for Four Horsemen in most single target fights. I like having a pbaoe finisher for fights where I need to hit a few things, but don't like/want to change my main target (adds during UD blue phase for instance). I would also consider swapping Raging Bullet for a cone finisher as well for aoe pack fights.

You don't have debilitate and you don't have the tools to get it done. You need 10 Debils up early and continuously. That requires either a builder (which frankly removes escalation, and that's not a good idea) or a penetrate, strike or crit applied debilitate (blasts are too DPS inefficient for most fights). This build simply doesn't have the tools to get 10 debils up in 10 rounds, so someone else should do it for you.

In short, yeah it should work. I have to say that a few of the defensive perks of this build appear very appealing. It would probably be on my "try it sometime" list... when I get a few other things finished off.
Ryahl
Guild Leader - Ohana
Writer for TSWGuides.com - don't spoil general chat, send them to TSWguides.com
TSW Builds TSW Lore TSW Signet Guide

Charlemagne

Hey, thanks alot for the tips! I'll run towards getting this build made and maybe modify it a bit.
Well, since my baby left me,
I've found a new place to dwell,
It's down at the end of Lonely Street,
At Heartbreak Hotel.

Aive-Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupan View Post
One of my cabal's directors runs Chaos/Shotgun. I'll log on later and see if I don't have his build saved.

I know the actives are something like:

Striker
Escalation
Defensive Turret
Reality Fracture
Stoicism
6/7 Helter Skelter/Provoke/Mass Provoke/The first 40% Evade Buff/Smoke and Mirrors/Chaotic Pull
Death From Above (Purple overdrive signet)

Passives are something like:

Strike debil passive. (The ability after striker)
Agitator
Extended Fracture
Turbulence
The 7.5% ward buff for hitting a weakened target from Chaos
That Shotgun Phys/Mag Prot ability (Hardcase(?))
Rocket Science

I think the 7th passive might be Fuel to the Fire, but I could be wrong.
Well since it's me your talking about :P I think I can drop in Well since I'm not at my home computer (Gone at vacation), I can't bring up my build 100% but can grab it from my head. Please note that all my abilities get switched out alot and that I'm never 100% locked down to this I often switch things out for making sure we as a group got what's needed.

Actives:
Escalation
Reality Fracture
Defensive turret
Shotgun Turret (BLAST)
Chaotic Pull
Helter Skelter/Mass Provocation
Cleanup/Domino Effect
Death from Above (Most awesome ability for me with the signet that reduces dmg taken to 0)

Passives:
Agitator
Intensity
Improved blasts
Bloodsport (To be switched with Shoot em up as it's stronger and does the same thing)
Molecular exploitation (Higher dmg + hate gen than Fuel the fire or tenderising for me, if you have lower than 1200 AR I think, then tenderising is better as that will cause a bigger impact or even fuel the fire for the pure hate)
Hardcase/Fever Pitch (Dependant on how much I glance in a dungeon or if more defense is needed)
Forged in Fire (Swapped out alot, but it's swapped for so many different things that I can't list them all)
hing
Now that's what I can remember as the standard build, and do mind this is not a pure tank anymore at all, i'm running with 2300 AR and 9k health in this build and almost 10k with the pure anima. I'm more like a swiss army knife as someone in the guild called it, i'm purging, dpsing, taking the beating, cleansing, applying affliction (exposed and debilitation) and so on.

Atleast for the first 17/18 You can run this build without switching anything, for DW:LAST BOSS you kinda need domino effect and Mass Provocation.

Last note: Shameless redirection to our guild site as we are currently recruiting people ez-guild.com

Edit: Realised I didn't explain why i'm using this build. The reason was simply that I wanted to have a build where I could do most of the stuff needed myself so the dps and healer could focus on their job completely. Now since i'm not having enough penetration in my build i'm running with shotgun turret with Improved blasts for a reliable debilitation.

Statwise I'm running block mainly with some evade atm and some prot and hit. But I want to swap it to 40/40 evade/block and 10/10 Hit and Prot (Which means swapping out almost all my glyphs which are 10.4). Also I'm not sure if I need some defense at all. But I guess I will find out in the future
Last edited by Aive-Nomad; 10-02-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Claretta2

The Venetian

Something notable about applying Debilitation with shotgun turret and improved blasts is that it's a 5x blast attack, so with one global cooldown you can stack half a debilitate stack.

It's also an AoE 5x debilitate.

For the duration you also get 6.3% damage reduction, which is equal to two debilitate stacks in itself.
Last edited by StealthNerf; 10-02-2012 at 01:52 AM.