Troponin

DefaultUnderstanding Affliction applications

So I have blood sport, which applies affliction with every hit. Now, if I have several passives that proc every time affliction is applied, does it count if affliction is already on the enemy and you hit them again? Does the programming see this as an application or does it see that it's already applied and not apply it again?

I am trying to compare Salt in the Wound vs Arterial pulse. SitW gives 40 each time affliction is applied, and AP gives 33 every time you penetrate.

It appears, even with 100% pen chance, you still get 7 extra damage per hit with SitW, but I rarely see that in these builds for some reason.

*Edit* I see now that AP has more AoE potential.
Last edited by Troponin; 12-03-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Darkstride

Arterial Pulse will proc on all mobs penetrated by an attack and hit all mobs around them. For instance, hitting 5 afflicted mobs with Clearing the Path will penetrate on all 5 causing Arterial Pulse to proc on all 5 as well, which I'm turn hits every one of them in the group repeatedly.
As for SitW, I haven't tested it, but even if it does proc on every Afflict refresh and not just initial application, there are better "on hit" passives like Sudden Return, Third Degree, Incision, One in the Chamber, etc so I could see why you aren't seeing it in a lot of builds.

Troponin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMH25 View Post
Arterial Pulse will proc on all mobs penetrated by an attack and hit all mobs around them. For instance, hitting 5 afflicted mobs with Clearing the Path will penetrate on all 5 causing Arterial Pulse to proc on all 5 as well, which I'm turn hits every one of them in the group repeatedly.
As for SitW, I haven't tested it, but even if it does proc on every Afflict refresh and not just initial application, there are better "on hit" passives like Sudden Return, Third Degree, Incision, One in the Chamber, etc so I could see why you aren't seeing it in a lot of builds.
ok, thanks. I am not really that far in to other weapon rings yet. I have delve in to blade, fist, and blood so far, but that's about it. So if you pull 5 enemies, and each one procs AP, each enemy gets hit 5 times for it? wow, that's pretty sick

frzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMH25 View Post
It does proc on every refresh, and it really depends on the build. SitW does a bit more than 1/2 the damage of Sudden Return, so if you can get a pen on more than half of your attacks when Sudden Return will do more damage (which is why multi-hit attack types are so good late game). If you're doing something like a Clearing the Path build where you're alternating a builder and CtP then you'd get more out of SitW if you're not stacking penetration rating (why bother since your consumer auto pens?).
Effusion Inkstorm Dreamtwist

Claretta2

The Venetian

Salt in the Wound works really well when you're only hitting each target once per attack. It works really well for many solo builds which don't use burst attacks.