Cogneter

The Venetian

ArrowMatchmaking and PvP ranks - coming in February

Game Director Letter - January, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
So, on that note, let’s have a look at what’s coming up next in Issue #6 which we are aiming to launch end of February.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
PvP will also see some new updates in Issue #6 including a revamped matchmaking system and PvP ranks. More details will be available in a developer blog in the coming weeks.
This has been announced a while ago, but now it has an official estimate release date. Hopefully, in a month, we'll be able to put the whole "pug vs premade" and "QL0 vs QL10.4" issues to rest.

Perhaps even El Dorado will start running?

makro

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and for information sake. in one live stream they sed the one of the reasons why the match making we currently have (not the one thats comming in feb) have so much trubble iis that it realy wasn't optimazed for 3 faction match making, but the one we are getting is
Dragon: Makro Templar: tofue Illuminati: Heksagon

Twitter: Makro Twitch:makrogamer

Pourekos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogneter View Post
Game Director Letter - January, 2013

This has been announced a while ago, but now it has an official estimate release date. Hopefully, in a month, we'll be able to put the whole "pug vs premade" and "QL0 vs QL10.4" issues to rest.

Perhaps even El Dorado will start running?
I believe that considering the number of players pvping you are being a bit too optimistic about the effect of rankings, but let's wait and see. I would love it to be proven wrong and you can quote me on that whenever you want.

And don't forget the WHIP. I would expect some PvP applications for that aux weapon.

Cogneter

The Venetian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
I believe that considering the number of players pvping you are being a bit too optimistic about the effect of rankings
I have seen multiple "pug vs premade" Stonehenge games running at once, with premades being from different factions. If the upcoming matchmaking will be good enough to match these premades against each other, I'll be content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
And don't forget the WHIP. I would expect some PvP applications for that aux weapon.
I bet Orea is already thinking of its possible... applications.

Karmakoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Kinky !

Make Love(craft), not War(craft) !

Ha Ha ! I m a PvPer...

Vous avez plus de 25 ans ? Voulez rejoindre une cabale cool mais bon niveau ?
Venez faire un tour chez R.E.D ! (anciennement Le Parkzheimer Club)

kristoffsanto

The end of next month is a little long to wait for matchmaking, etc., especially considering time already served. I get that things have been shaken up, but it's unreasonable to expect people to stick around for another month's worth of last nights.

Surely it's understood that after this long silence, this meager bone was going to be unsatisfactory. I truly expected to hear something along the lines of "we're going to toss out something new, now, without much testing, because we understand that if we don't... Please keep us informed as to how it's going."

A local restaurant, a real cultural landmark, burned down this last year. It wasn't their fault and we supported them by buying t-shirts, etc... but we ate elsewhere because they couldn't provide the service we'd gone to them for. Even when it comes to family, patience and goodwill can be exhausted. How much more true is this when it comes to food, entertainment, etc.?

Moenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffsanto View Post
The end of next month is a little long to wait for matchmaking, etc., especially considering time already served. I get that things have been shaken up, but it's unreasonable to expect people to stick around for another month's worth of last nights.

Surely it's understood that after this long silence, this meager bone was going to be unsatisfactory. I truly expected to hear something along the lines of "we're going to toss out something new, now, without much testing, because we understand that if we don't... Please keep us informed as to how it's going."

A local restaurant, a real cultural landmark, burned down this last year. It wasn't their fault and we supported them by buying t-shirts, etc... but we ate elsewhere because they couldn't provide the service we'd gone to them for. Even when it comes to family, patience and goodwill can be exhausted. How much more true is this when it comes to food, entertainment, etc.?
Because everyone knows that code writes itself overnight.
Alexei "Torture" Chertov - Illuminati - ICO

"Winners don't make excuses when the other side just plays the game"
- Harvey Specter

kristoffsanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moenski View Post
Because everyone knows that code writes itself overnight.
Your one-liner misses the point but I'll take it as an invitation for a serious response.

First, your snark is misplaced because there have been a lot of overnights since the beginning of the problem, which they've utilized poorly. If they find themselves scrambling now, it's not because this situation suddenly crept up on them.

Second, yes, it sometimes does! Especially when your model is failing. I've created enormously complex simulations overnight because my colleagues suddenly decide a new enzyme is most important. A matchmaking system is piss-easy compared to some things I and others have coded overnight. So, whine more.

Finally, whether or not my expectations are unrealistic, it is certain that expecting players to stick around for another month of being farmed is worse. I wouldn't expect a burned-out restaurant to feed me, but I'd be baffled if they told me my meal was coming in a month, just sit still. The proper response is "no, thank you."

Can you imagine if someone then responded "you try cooking with soot all over everything!" That's what you did.

Brass-Assasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffsanto View Post

Funcom so far has been incredibly speedy about getting the changes out. There are games where people wait years to get changes like this, and while that is certainly wrong, it hardly stops gaming companies. When you consider that Funcom is getting new content out on the same roughly 1.5-2 month schedule despite their ongoing restructuring it's absolutely amazing.

Good matchmaking, is something that isn't easy to get right and I am really looking forward to what 1.6 is going to bring.