samizdatista

DefaultImmortal... but for how long?

Anyone spotted any lore that addresses the issue of... if someone becomes 'bee blessed', how long does it last? Forever? A few years?

As the world is not overrun with immortal 'bee blessed', I would assume that how long the so-called 'bees' remain interested in any given person is finite... meaning one day, you just stop being able to see Agartha and the anima wells and if you jump off a bridge... oh dear...

My guess is the time varies, so most might be bee blessed for a decade or two whilst a few outliers might still be around a millennia from now.

Anyone spotted any lore that actually addresses that?
Of all the means I know to lead men, the most effective is a concealed mystery.
- Adam Weishaupt

The Kadekawa Conundrum
The Ungrateful Deathless... a Secret World ghost story?
Shadows in a Sunless World (some bits rather NSFW)

NightRose

A) Gaia reacted to the danger of filth by creating "bees" and even though we arent the firs ones to walk agartha I dont remember reading anyting about any other bees in the history. Thim might be a one time thing.

B) How do you know bees are immortal? Just couse we cannot die from having our head smashed in doesnt mean we arent getting older and are going to eventually die from old age.

Did you know dragon is as close as you can get to Gaia itself?

samizdatista

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRose View Post
A) Gaia reacted to the danger of filth by creating "bees" and even though we arent the firs ones to walk agartha I dont remember reading anyting about any other bees in the history. Thim might be a one time thing.
No I have the distinct impression there have always been bee blessed people and the Templars are based around a core of them back to the very dawn of human civilisation: the "Old Family Templars" alluded to by Julia Tyburn.

Quote:
B) How do you know bees are immortal? Just couse we cannot die from having our head smashed in doesnt mean we arent getting older and are going to eventually die from old age.
How do you know they are not? Cucuvea seems to have been around since the 3rd Age
Of all the means I know to lead men, the most effective is a concealed mystery.
- Adam Weishaupt

The Kadekawa Conundrum
The Ungrateful Deathless... a Secret World ghost story?
Shadows in a Sunless World (some bits rather NSFW)

Frod54

I always figured the reason we don't see tons of 'Bee people' around is the attrition involved with the cycle of 'impending doom of humanity wheee!' that we're locked into.

Bee people are hard to kill, but it's not impossible. So when another 'impending doom of humanity wheee!' cycle hits, bees get killed off, one way or another.

Perhaps bee people are functionally immortal, but the majority get snuffed by whatever superbad crap flattens humanity every cycle.

Hell, I dunno. It's Monday and my brain is on low power.
Frank "Badger54" Calhoun

"Thanks, Frank. You're like the ass-kicking Santa." --'Magus Girl', Twitterverse Experiment

NightRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by samizdatista View Post
No I have the distinct impression there have always been bee blessed people and the Templars are based around a core of them back to the very dawn of human civilisation: the "Old Family Templars" alluded to by Julia Tyburn.

How do you know they are not? Cucuvea seems to have been around since the 3rd Age
Cucuvea isnt bee blessed nor is she human. Mythical beings are something else. Shapeshifting into an owl isnt exactly human-like.

Templars (all the secret societies for that matter) are very young compered to the "cycles of begginings" which is the only time when i see it possible for something like this to happen.

There is not a single immortal in the game who is such becouse he was bee blessed.
The honeycombs mention several ages and they say they harvest knoweladge from all of these ages but never did the lore mention bee-ing people before.

Oneiropolos

Easiest answer.... which isn't so much an answer.. is found in Beaumont and in Khalid. Both are immortals (no. You do not kill Beaumont. Nor does the other person there. It is clarified that he survives the encounter) and both make the firmest comments regarding the character's immortality/ability to die. Beaumont states that unless you are ground into fine dust, the bees will just bring you back. When you figure out who he is, you realize he would know this VERY WELL. Khalid, on the other hand, actually uses the words "You'll see" as in, we'll see what it's like, in regards to being 'imomortal'. Khalid has been there for thousands of years himself, and was even part of a group that sort of have it as their 'job' to watch humans. Khalid identifies you as someone who will understand how being immortal can be a pain.

Note, neither of them imply we can't die. We can TOTALLY die. It's just not easy and I imagine the body has to be -thoroughly- taken care of for it to stick. Death from old age, however, is likely not possible (and not just because we get ourselves into trouble all the time.)
"I have seen too much not to know that the impression of a woman may be more valuable than the conclusion of an analytical reasoner."~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the words of Sherlock Holmes
Kori "Oneiropolos" Machi
Bryn "Chroi" Athaisce @BrynChroi
~*~ Listen in at RadioFreeGaia.com!~*~

mandellaSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiropolos View Post
Easiest answer.... which isn't so much an answer.. is found in Beaumont and in Khalid. Both are immortals (no. You do not kill Beaumont. Nor does the other person there. It is clarified that he survives the encounter) and both make the firmest comments regarding the character's immortality/ability to die. Beaumont states that unless you are ground into fine dust, the bees will just bring you back.
Interestingly, the Templar handler Sonnac seems surprised that Beaumont is so sure of our immortality, considering that there *are* better known ways to kill us (which he does not elaborate on -- thanks Richard).

I agree that Cucuvea is a different sort of enhanced creature than we are, whether she was born "human" or not, and whether or not she is immortal (or just ages very slowly) has little relevance to our situation.

But regardless, there are so many ways to remove immortals from the board that it matters little in the long run. Either our powers can be taken back by Gaia/Bees, or we can be imprisoned forever in some alternate dimension, mutated into some completely different lifeform, frozen in Carbonite, something clears the board of most of us during the Endtime cycles.

Maybe we even become Bees...

Malcamber

No lore that explicitly lays out the life expectancy of a 'bee', but as others have indicated, there are hints that they're effectively unkillable by age, and of course demonstrably unkillable by most means... but not completely unkillable. Richard Sonnac hints that he (and by extension the Templars) know how to kill us, and is surprised that Beaumont doesn't know.

Of course, the fact that the Templars (or other Societies) aren't passing out Anti-Bee guns in Fusang could be seen as an indicator that it's still not terribly easy to do.

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

Setarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcamber View Post
No lore that explicitly lays out the life expectancy of a 'bee', but as others have indicated, there are hints that they're effectively unkillable by age, and of course demonstrably unkillable by most means... but not completely unkillable. Richard Sonnac hints that he (and by extension the Templars) know how to kill us, and is surprised that Beaumont doesn't know.

Of course, the fact that the Templars (or other Societies) aren't passing out Anti-Bee guns in Fusang could be seen as an indicator that it's still not terribly easy to do.
The Illuminati perfectly knows how to kill the bees as well -- you'd have been dead after Egypt storyline if Geary didn't figuratively blocked that magic bullet for you.
"Do your work never so well," the spectre was whispering,---"rise early and toil till late, rob cunningly or serve faithfully, you shall never know security. Rich you may be now and still come to poverty at last. Leave never so much wealth to your children, you cannot buy the assurance that your son may not be the servant of your servant, or that your daughter will not have to sell herself for bread."

NightRose

There is no such thing as a lying templar or lumie. Oh wait.