perinw

DefaultBought through Steam "upgrade subscription"

So hey, I just want to check real quick. I got my main account of TSW pre-release way back, GM, all that good shit.

However, now I had bought TSW on Steam so that I can login through Steam and all that, been doing that a bit now, and then I'm like. Ya'know, I should do something with that spare key I have.

So I went to make a new account under my old one, just to have everything linked up. So I put in the key, and it gives me TWO options...

First is: Create a New Account .. Pretty obvious, this is what I *wanted* to do originally.

Second is: Upgrade subscription XXXX (my account name for the first account)

My question is ... If I were to hit the Upgrade Subscription, what would happen? I don't have a BIG need for another account, since I still even have 1 more character slot on my original.

However, if it's just "Hey now you have Steam t-shirt!" then I'll just make the new account. But if it's something else?

Keep in mind, I *am* GM, so I don't have monthly subscription time on the main account, and all that, I'm full member all the time, so I don't think it can "add" time to my account.
Dragon Fist Heal Pistol DPS: Beatryx "Jaline" Ravenholme
Templar Derp Per Second (AR): Camila "Leaudoma" Clendennen
Illuminati Noob Tank: Perin "Anim" Waynolt

Leggings in the Female Cash Shop Please!

Anytime

I actually am in this exact situation. GM, and I wanted to redownload the client after reformatting and after seeing the downloader speeds I bought it on Steam so I could play it sooner lol

I noticed the cd key pop up when I started the game and was wondering what to do with it

perinw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anytime View Post
I actually am in this exact situation. GM, and I wanted to redownload the client after reformatting and after seeing the downloader speeds I bought it on Steam so I could play it sooner lol

I noticed the cd key pop up when I started the game and was wondering what to do with it
Well the only shitty part about on Steam is that updates do still require you to launch the TSW launcher. But my internet is fine where that's a non-issue.

But yeah, I figure making the 2nd account is the best option, but that "upgrade" is just tempting curiosity.

Brightmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perinw View Post
But yeah, I figure making the 2nd account is the best option, but that "upgrade" is just tempting curiosity.
You'd get the clothing and, if you don't have it already, the Demon Ring and the Temple Cat.

One thing to keep in mind that accounts created using a Steam key can only purchase Funcom points via Steam Payments. I don't know if that's also true for accounts upgraded with a Steam key.

(You can still use other means of payment if you buy points using another game account (e.g. Age of Conan), but only from within that game or the account management page, not from within TSW.)

EDIT: For completeness' sake: If you do create a second TSW account, any "account-wide" clothing purchases from your other TSW account will not carry over, even if they're both tied to the same Funcom account.
Last edited by Brightmoon; 11-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.

perinw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightmoon View Post
You'd get the clothing and, if you don't have it already, the Demon Ring and the Temple Cat.

One thing to keep in mind that accounts created using a Steam key can only purchase Funcom points via Steam Payments. I don't know if that's also true for accounts upgraded with a Steam key.

(You can still use other means of payment if you buy points using another game account (e.g. Age of Conan), but only from within that game or the account management page, not from within TSW.)
That sounds so weird. I wasn't even aware you could purchase while in the game anyways, I thought you had to go to the account management page to do it. (register.fun...) I'm actually surprised you can even purchase Funcom points using steam payments in the first place actually.

Although, all of that said. The 2nd account wouldn't likely be purchasing anything anyways, since I have my main account and I got the 1200/month from GM on that. Really would be nice to know what comes out of it.

I mean, if anything, I could use the upgrade, get 1200 points (as I know all accounts come with that, I'm assuming it'd give me the 1200), the steam shirt, and the other stuff I already have. I rarely have to buy anything anymore anyways since Funcom gave GMs 1200/mo, though had bought before then, and may eventually buy again, but I don't think the payments would be an issue for me.

I guess I just don't know as to what is more useful to me :P 1200 points and a steam shirt, or another account, which'd likely be a bank or just another one to mess around with.

Honestly this is a pretty valid question in general... The addition of TSW cards to Steam in the first place got me interesting in grabbing it on Steam, since I already had the game though, it was for convenience of booting up through it and the cards. However now I have no idea what to do with the account it came with!

Such troubles one has as a GM!

Edit: In response to your edit, yeah, I figured that much. Although that would have been awesome, it wasn't on my mind :P

Brightmoon

Quote:
I mean, if anything, I could use the upgrade, get 1200 points (as I know all accounts come with that, I'm assuming it'd give me the 1200), the steam shirt, and the other stuff I already have. I rarely have to buy anything anymore anyways since Funcom gave GMs 1200/mo, though had bought before then, and may eventually buy again, but I don't think the payments would be an issue for me.

I guess I just don't know as to what is more useful to me :P 1200 points and a steam shirt, or another account, which'd likely be a bank or just another one to mess around with.
You don't get 1200 points for a new account. You get those the first time you complete 30 missions. And that's per account, not per character.

perinw

Quote:
You don't get 1200 points for a new account. You get those the first time you complete 30 missions. And that's per account, not per character.
Oh right. I forgot all about that .. Well that makes that less valuable.

Misbehiven

Quote:
Don't use the Purchase Funcon Points option to buy them, instead use pending purchases (yeah so intuitive) and you can use your credit card / PayPal to pay for them. Also there is an option under pending purchases to use your cell phone but that one is more expensive.

Anytime

Quote:
Well the only shitty part about on Steam is that updates do still require you to launch the TSW launcher. But my internet is fine where that's a non-issue.

Downloading the latest patch was a pain and took way longer than it should have, but the the rest of the game flew thanks to Steam. Dunno what's up with the TSW launcher. It's been bad since release but lately it's gotten worse for me

perinw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anytime View Post
Downloading the latest patch was a pain and took way longer than it should have, but the the rest of the game flew thanks to Steam. Dunno what's up with the TSW launcher. It's been bad since release but lately it's gotten worse for me
Haven't had any issues with TSW patcher myself, and that's having been here since beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misbehiven View Post
Don't use the Purchase Funcon Points option to buy them, instead use pending purchases (yeah so intuitive) and you can use your credit card / PayPal to pay for them. Also there is an option under pending purchases to use your cell phone but that one is more expensive.
Is it any accounts that log in under steam that can purchase through Steam wallet? I ask because there's actually no technical link between Steam and the key that Funcom registers I would think. Since I can log in to *any* TSW account while running TSW through Steam, not just the one that Steam gives me the key for.

I'll have to check this when I log back in after patch... Personally I wouldn't mind being able to buy through Steam Wallet at all, I'd find that a benefit, especially considering foreign transaction fees if I purchase from Funcom directly.

If I can't purchase through Steam currently, then "upgrading" with the key Steam gave me, I wonder if that would let me? That'd be a + in my column for "upgrade" over a new account.

Edit: I would think the same the other way by the way. That anybody who bought through Steam, could choose to download the TSW install/launcher, and run the game and log in without Steam involved at all. Really Steam to me, I just have it up all the time these days, and it's more convenient than opening more windows.

Edit 2: Okay, tested, seems I can't buy through Steam Wallet even logging in under Steam. I'm surprised in the first place any transactions go through Steam though.

Actually. Having the 2nd account purchase through Steam Wallet, would actually make the points available to my first account wouldn't it? Just thought about that. Points are shared across *all* your accounts (purchased, not bonus points), right?
Last edited by Perinw; 11-13-2013 at 03:43 PM.