The Secret World Forums

The Secret World Forums (http://forums.thesecretworld.com/index.php)
-   Old Sanctuary (http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   ⊕ Order of the Temple ⊕ (The Templar Thread) (http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=4143)

DarthPlush 10-06-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vengeful-frog (Post 166975)
Talk for yourself !

I don't need to. The game has not begun, and nobody is baking any cookies.

Not as far as I can tell anyway.

DarthPlush 10-06-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vengeful-frog (Post 166975)
Talk for yourself !

I don't need to. The game has not begun, and nobody is baking any cookies.

Not as far as I can tell anyway.

Dragonstar33 10-06-2009 06:49 AM

Just took the test a few days ago and still trying to grasp everything but I do like what I am seeing so far.

Just took the test a few days ago and still trying to grasp everything but I do like what I am seeing so far.

MaxThunder 10-06-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonstar33 (Post 167046)

Welcome=) here, have a coconut=) throw it at illuminati or dragon and they die=)

Quote:

Welcome=) here, have a coconut=) throw it at illuminati or dragon and they die=)

Quote:

francisismyhero 10-06-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rioteer (Post 166554)
In all honesty, I'd actually prefer a language that everyone, or at least the majority, understands. What I wrote, was just to underline that not everything must to be in Latin.

Imao I don't want the female Templars to be associated with a specific religion, it's supposed to be a place open to everyone, no matter religious believes.
Christianity has nothing to do with the tsw's Templars.

The reason Latin is used is becuase it mysterious and foreign to us, having a hidden meaning. It goes along with the secret society feel. It's also linking back to the historical link between the Templars and the Catholic Church. Like it or not, Latin goes with the theme of the Templars

Christianity may have nothing to do with the Templars, but the Templars have to do with Christianity, at least historically speaking. To remove the relation entirely would be to act outside of the Templar mythology we are creating.

Quote:

In all honesty, I'd actually prefer a language that everyone, or at least the majority, understands. What I wrote, was just to underline that not everything must to be in Latin.

Imao I don't want the female Templars to be associated with a specific religion, it's supposed to be a place open to everyone, no matter religious believes.

The reason Latin is used is becuase it mysterious and foreign to us, having a hidden meaning. It goes along with the secret society feel. It's also linking back to the historical link between the Templars and the Catholic Church. Like it or not, Latin goes with the theme of the Templars

Christianity may have nothing to do with the Templars, but the Templars have to do with Christianity, at least historically speaking. To remove the relation entirely would be to act outside of the Templar mythology we are creating.

Quote:

Cyphre 10-06-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisismyhero (Post 167256)

"Templars aren't about Christianity. They're about Faith. Which is different. And also about kicking demon ass.

No secret society is tied to any religion. Everyone's invited."

-Source: RagnarTornquist's tweets

Quote:

"Templars aren't about Christianity. They're about Faith. Which is different. And also about kicking demon ass.

Quote:

Fallen Seraph 10-06-2009 06:56 PM

Yeah the Knights Templars which is the main connection to the Templars and Christianity was a off-shoot. While there could certainly be groups within the Templars that take a religious view of faith it isn't the norm, it is simply one view of it.

Hell, when it comes to conspiracy theories and such, there are many based around the Knights Templars not actually being Christians, or ones who mix Christianity with older pagan beliefs.

You know thinking about it, while they talk about being traditionalist, stand by tradition and honour and all that. Besides the "new blood" coming in and making the Templars more in-tune with the modern day. We don't necessarily know what kind of traditions the Templars are based around. They could be extremely progressive in views, but developed those centuries ago.

Yeah the Knights Templars which is the main connection to the Templars and Christianity was a off-shoot. While there could certainly be groups within the Templars that take a religious view of faith it isn't the norm, it is simply one view of it.

Hell, when it comes to conspiracy theories and such, there are many based around the Knights Templars not actually being Christians, or ones who mix Christianity with older pagan beliefs.

You know thinking about it, while they talk about being traditionalist, stand by tradition and honour and all that. Besides the "new blood" coming in and making the Templars more in-tune with the modern day. We don't necessarily know what kind of traditions the Templars are based around. They could be extremely progressive in views, but developed those centuries ago.

francisismyhero 10-06-2009 06:59 PM

So there are numerous ideas of what a Templar is surfacing in these dark days and I want to create a reform movement in the Templars of those who have the same vision of what a Templar is.

I want to base the ideal of a Templar off of Aragorn.

He is quickly familiar and far from what defines the Illuminati or Dragon. He does not seek power or glory, he is not ambivalent to good/evil in seeking knowledge, but his motivation is the good of all, namely the preservation of humanity. It is a reform movement in that Aragorn's hatred of evil does not surpass his love for good - which some Templars have.

I'm looking for a name of this group that shares this ideal of a Templar.

These are some ideas I've had. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor
Order of the White Tree of Gondor

So there are numerous ideas of what a Templar is surfacing in these dark days and I want to create a reform movement in the Templars of those who have the same vision of what a Templar is.

He is quickly familiar and far from what defines the Illuminati or Dragon. He does not seek power or glory, he is not ambivalent to good/evil in seeking knowledge, but his motivation is the good of all, namely the preservation of humanity. It is a reform movement in that Aragorn's hatred of evil does not surpass his love for good - which some Templars have.

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

Redd 10-06-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisismyhero (Post 167277)

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

for some reason lord of the rings doesnt mix with templars >.>

Quote:

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

Quote:

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

poorboy 10-06-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redd (Post 167281)

I had the same thought.

Quote:

I had the same thought.

Quote:

I had the same thought.

francisismyhero 10-06-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyphre (Post 167258)

I spoke a little strongly. My point was that you cannot separate entirely the TSW Templars and the historical Templars who are related to Chrsitianity. To separate them entirely is create the secrety society without any basis.

Funcom is not separating Templars completly from Chrisitanity. Look at the Templar video.

TSW Templars have cultural ties to Christianity. The girl in the Templar video has a Rosary ring on her shotgun and a Cross staff. The Templars may not be tied to the Christian faith, but the Christian culture is woven in them, as seen in all the images of a TSW Templar.

This original argument was around the use of Latin. I am arguing that Latin goes along with TSW Templar society, just like the Rosary ring on the shotgun. To remove all relation to Christianity is not in line with TSW Templar mythology.

Quote:

I spoke a little strongly. My point was that you cannot separate entirely the TSW Templars and the historical Templars who are related to Chrsitianity. To separate them entirely is create the secrety society without any basis.

Funcom is not separating Templars completly from Chrisitanity. Look at the Templar video.

TSW Templars have cultural ties to Christianity. The girl in the Templar video has a Rosary ring on her shotgun and a Cross staff. The Templars may not be tied to the Christian faith, but the Christian culture is woven in them, as seen in all the images of a TSW Templar.

This original argument was around the use of Latin. I am arguing that Latin goes along with TSW Templar society, just like the Rosary ring on the shotgun. To remove all relation to Christianity is not in line with TSW Templar mythology.

Quote:

Cyphre 10-06-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

You had me right up until you started making up names based on Tolkien.
Two different mythologies.
If my character ran into "The Knights of Gondor" he would never stop rolling his eyes, even if he agrees with their basic tenets.

If I were you, I'd try for something a little more original. No offense.

Quote:

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

If my character ran into "The Knights of Gondor" he would never stop rolling his eyes, even if he agrees with their basic tenets.

Quote:

The Sons of Aragorn
Rangers of the North
Knights of Gondor
The Blood of Numenor

francisismyhero 10-06-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Tornquist is weaving together tons of mythology. I'm pretty sure some LOTR mythology will be mixed in, being it's based heavily Scandinavian mythology.

Tolkien was English. Perhaps I can say he was a Templar prophyet.

His notions of good/evil fits with TSW Templars, I believe.

Perhaps the group could be called:

Knights of the Fourth Age.

Quote:

Tornquist is weaving together tons of mythology. I'm pretty sure some LOTR mythology will be mixed in, being it's based heavily Scandinavian mythology.

Quote:

Cyphre 10-06-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisismyhero (Post 167295)
Funcom is not separating Templars completely from Chrisitanity. Look at the Templar video.

My guess... and it is only a guess... is that The Templars utilize artifacts from any religion to fight Evil. I think The Templars do have some tie to Christianity... and also to every other religion.
While they don't officially endorse any religion, they recognize the power of faith found in each.

Quote:

Funcom is not separating Templars completely from Chrisitanity. Look at the Templar video.

My guess... and it is only a guess... is that The Templars utilize artifacts from any religion to fight Evil. I think The Templars do have some tie to Christianity... and also to every other religion.
While they don't officially endorse any religion, they recognize the power of faith found in each.

Quote:

francisismyhero 10-06-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyphre (Post 167296)

Hmm...

Well so TSW mythology is supposed to span a large history, and has relations to various European mythologies.

Lord of the Rings is essentially a rework of Scandinavian mythology.

I think there may be ties in TSW. We have to see.

I personally like "The Blood of Numenor."

francisismyhero 10-06-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyphre (Post 167296)

Hmm...

Well so TSW mythology is supposed to span a large history, and has relations to various European mythologies.

Lord of the Rings is essentially a rework of Scandinavian mythology.

I think there may be ties in TSW. We have to see.

I personally like "The Blood of Numenor."