Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MMO in Horror Genre

How about along the lines of survival/puzzle/explorer gameplay?

I am a fan of the moving blocks type puzzles, if there were enough of these and they were randomly instanced it could add a new layer of gameplay. Maybe include death traps to make them more dangerous? Having all sorts of keys and puzzle pieces that could be traded with other players might be cool.

I hope TSW has some innovative gameplay that challenges traditional MMO conventional wisdom and incorporates other genres the way AoC seems to be. I think dungeons that need to be solved to get where your going would be a huge assest. Players could get reputations completely beyond what level character they were playing, but rather for how fast they could help their group figure out instanced dungeon puzzles.

I would like to see dungeons that take place in sideways half-submerged half-collapsed office buildings. I know that most buildings would completely collapse in before they would lie on their side but I think that setting would still be just too cool. Swimming down to the bottom cubicle with a key to some peons filecabinet through murky water filled with office supplies and corpses and something with tentacles-that could be fun.

How about along the lines of survival/puzzle/explorer gameplay?

I am a fan of the moving blocks type puzzles, if there were enough of these and they were randomly instanced it could add a new layer of gameplay. Maybe include death traps to make them more dangerous? Having all sorts of keys and puzzle pieces that could be traded with other players might be cool.

I hope TSW has some innovative gameplay that challenges traditional MMO conventional wisdom and incorporates other genres the way AoC seems to be. I think dungeons that need to be solved to get where your going would be a huge assest. Players could get reputations completely beyond what level character they were playing, but rather for how fast they could help their group figure out instanced dungeon puzzles.

I would like to see dungeons that take place in sideways half-submerged half-collapsed office buildings. I know that most buildings would completely collapse in before they would lie on their side but I think that setting would still be just too cool. Swimming down to the bottom cubicle with a key to some peons filecabinet through murky water filled with office supplies and corpses and something with tentacles-that could be fun.

Im personally a fan of puzzle gameplay too, its just a problem:

- Today's players want puzzles to be solvable fast, if they need thinking, ppl use 3. part websites to solve them (people has grown too used to thotbot and wowhead ).

so then you got 2 options:

1. make puzzles dynamic, so the puzzle solver web sites cant help. Id sugest in addition, to add as much help as possible, INSIDE the game so ppl got all their wowhead/thotbot assistance to understand the puzzles, if they got a bad hair day and just want to solve it.

2. make puzzles who is solvable by a least common denominator, or make alternatives, as several roads of gameplay for non-puzzlers.

Puzzle gameplay online generally died out, and is declared a dead species for many years now by know it all devlopers making funny books, reason, is, as im shure all here know, we see ppl get tired, and no longer solve puzzles in mmorpg. Indeed, even the old Adventure genre has slowly withered and suffered a strange death due to the trend, of not using too hard puzzles.

Im all for doing it, of couse. I love it. The gamers do deserve to get more puzzle games too, it just need re tinking, to add a broader audience, as tetris, mahjong stuff, word riddles, and make ppl stop listen to wowhead

- Today's players want puzzles to be solvable fast, if they need thinking, ppl use 3. part websites to solve them (people has grown too used to thotbot and wowhead ).

1. make puzzles dynamic, so the puzzle solver web sites cant help. Id sugest in addition, to add as much help as possible, INSIDE the game so ppl got all their wowhead/thotbot assistance to understand the puzzles, if they got a bad hair day and just want to solve it.

2. make puzzles who is solvable by a least common denominator, or make alternatives, as several roads of gameplay for non-puzzlers.

Puzzle gameplay online generally died out, and is declared a dead species for many years now by know it all devlopers making funny books, reason, is, as im shure all here know, we see ppl get tired, and no longer solve puzzles in mmorpg. Indeed, even the old Adventure genre has slowly withered and suffered a strange death due to the trend, of not using too hard puzzles.

Im all for doing it, of couse. I love it. The gamers do deserve to get more puzzle games too, it just need re tinking, to add a broader audience, as tetris, mahjong stuff, word riddles, and make ppl stop listen to wowhead

Good points Psy- I think having dungeons with multiple paths for multiple gameplay would be a huge boon. One path could be particularly geared to puzzle solvers-these could be as simple as chests with Anagram locks (name that game)- but could be much more, instanced and dynamic are a must. A lot of them could be climbing based-like tomb raider series or Prince of Persia.

Of course other avenues need to be available to other play-styles. There should be areas that you simply bust down the door with brute force and areas that you need to use lock-picking skills to get too. One player should not be able to do it all, but the true power-gamers should see a benefit from teaming up with as many different classes (or player styles) as possible.

Good points Psy- I think having dungeons with multiple paths for multiple gameplay would be a huge boon. One path could be particularly geared to puzzle solvers-these could be as simple as chests with Anagram locks (name that game)- but could be much more, instanced and dynamic are a must. A lot of them could be climbing based-like tomb raider series or Prince of Persia.

Of course other avenues need to be available to other play-styles. There should be areas that you simply bust down the door with brute force and areas that you need to use lock-picking skills to get too. One player should not be able to do it all, but the true power-gamers should see a benefit from teaming up with as many different classes (or player styles) as possible.

Whatever is done I wouldn't mind having something that would otherwise scare the **** out of the kiddies.

Whatever is done I wouldn't mind having something that would otherwise scare the **** out of the kiddies.