Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, you want to play TSW with a Gamepad?

So, you want to play TSW with a Gamepad?

Hi everyone, I've been doing a ton of gamepad tweaking since I started using one in TSW, and I'm finally satisfied with the config I have set up for it. I used xpadder for this, so if you want to use this build specifically, you will need a copy of it as well. It's a very solid tool with many options, so I recommend it for endeavors such as this. Obviously, I'm not allowed to include the xpadder.exe with my profile, but I'll include a read-me on how to use my profile once you have xpadder.

Basically, I have it setup similarly to Aqualis in his thread. - he also has an instructional video that I'd recommend checking out. I tried to make my setup a bit more "all purpose" so I've included a "mouse mode toggle" (Set selector page 3), for situations where you need to use it (clicking on npcs, dragging items, opening the menu, etc) without needing to use the mouse itself. It's really useful for those that like gaming from their couch and don't want to worry with a mouse.

This was done with a Logitech Rumblepad 2 wireless controller, so depending on your gamepad's default button configuration, you may need to swap some things around. Fortunately, it's simple enough to do in xpadder.

***I made a small youtube overview video, specifically because I can't put a download link on this forum - the video is here, and the download link is in the description.***

Here's a more thorough guide of the controller setup (Credit to Aqaulis for the build structure):

Set Selector/Page Controls

R1 shoulder button: Set selector page 2 (which switches to the second page of controller options - as soon as you release it, it goes back to page one.)

L2 Shoulder Button: Set Selector Page 3 (Just like the one above, this switches to a different set selector page, being page 3 in this case. As soon as you release it, it goes back to page one.)

These are the controls for Set selector page one (the default page that will be used for the more primary functions.) For familiarity, and because of the variety of different gamepads, I'll be using the PS3 button configuration of Square, Triangle, Circle, X as a point of reference:

Left Joystick: Controls movement, with left and right being set to strafe to make it feel more natural. It feels very similar to the movement of any console game.

Right Joystick: Controls the camera, and by default I have it set to "normal", but if you'd rather have inverted, simply change the option for inverted mouselook in the TSW menu - you can also change it in the xpadder options as well. **Be sure to keep your mouse pointer away from the edges of the screen, as this can make it so the camera rotation doesn't work properly**

X - Jump

Square - Skill 1 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact - this can easily be disabled for any of them)

Triangle - Skill 2 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact)

Circle - Skill 3 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact)

L1 - Tab Targeting

R1 - Set Selector Page 2

L2 - Set Selector Page 3

R2 - Weapon Swap

Left Joystick Button - toggles sprint

Right Joystick Button - Auto-run

Start - Esc, useful for quickly closing windows, skipping cutscenes, and going to options or whatnot

Select - Map

D-pad, up direction - auto loot

(You can, of course, utilize the rest of the D-pad buttons that you see fit; I'll likely do the same later on.)

These are the controls for Set selector Page 2. This is what you'll use, while you're holding R1:

Left Joystick: The only difference between this one and the first is that I've made this one to turn left and right, instead of strafing, so that if you're in a situation where you need to turn the camera while you're fighting for instance, you can do so without having to use the right joystick. In the heat of battle, when your fingers are spamming skills, it's sometimes difficult to get to the right joystick when an enemy moves around, so this comes in handy. If, however, you'd rather have this set to strafing, just like the movement controls for set selector page 1, all you have to do is set "A" and "D", to "Q" and "E".

Right Joystick: Same as set selector page 1 (default), it moves the camera

X - skill 4 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact)

Square - Skill 5 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact)

Triangle - Skill 6 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact)

Circle - Skill 7 (With a rumble setting, to give attacks more impact)

(That's all I have assigned for Set Selector page 2, so feel free to add more bindings as you see fit)

These are the controls for set selector page 3, which I have configured to be specifically for mouse-navigation, opening interface windows on the fly, and clicking on objects in the world. This is used by holding down L2:

Left Joystick: Mouse movement (I've set the speed to half (50), as I felt it was a nice compromise for getting across a large display quickly, while not being so fast you can't select anything. Depending on your screen size, you may want to make adjustments.

Right joystick: Use this to pan the camera around your character, in case you want to look behind you, or just check out the front of your character to look at new gear and what not.

X - This is set as left click, for selecting object, opening windows, ect.

Square - Inventory window

Triangle - Abilities Wheel

Circle - Mission Journal

R1 - PvP window

L1 - Friend Window

L2 - Cabal Window

Start - Character Window

Select- In-game browser

D-pad, Up direction - Scrolls mouse wheel forward (Useful for scrolling in without needing to use the mouse.)

D-pade, Down direction - Scrolls mouse wheel backwards (Useful for scrolling out without needing to use the mouse.)

And that's about it. I'm sorry if this came out as convoluted and overly confusing - I was trying to be as thorough as possible. Rest assured, I was going for convenience, first and foremost, when I made this profile and I think once you see how it works in practice, it won't take long to get used to it.

**Also, as Aqualis pointed out, be sure to uncheck the "Queue abilities" option, in the interface options**

If any of you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

See you at launch
    Sean "Seilan" Moonside

"Welcome to Moonside. Wecomel to Soonmide. Moonwel ot Cosidme." - Moonside Resident

the only issue i have with the gamepad is that its inefficient to do so. about as inefficient as keybinding vs clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    the only issue i have with the gamepad is that its inefficient to do so. about as inefficient as keybinding vs clicking.
    With this setup, it's not really that inefficient at all, in my opinion. Sure, you won't be able to circle strafe, so maybe it's not the best for pvp, but as far as pve goes it's solid enough. It's also much easier on the wrist.

To each their own.

Edit: It's hardly as inefficient as clicking, considering there are only seven active skills at a time and they are all hot-keyed.
    Sean "Seilan" Moonside

"Welcome to Moonside. Wecomel to Soonmide. Moonwel ot Cosidme." - Moonside Resident

Selian! So glad you posted again hehe. I am having conniptions trying to set it up the way you have in the video. Can I pick at your brain later for help?
    Kitty "Khat" LeBlanc and Mycah-Claire "Poppet" StJames
    http://guardianwulf.wordpress.com/

M I D N I G H TS Q U A D R O N
    "HONOR. MATURITY. FAMILY."
    Since 1995

+ VISIT CABAL WEBSITE & FORUMS +

what i really want is

a) official gamepad support
    b) a way to see if a player plays with it

but pots and such arent. also, even in pve circle strafing is a huge boon, especially in later areas where you really want to kite (build dependent) but not pull another mob. its fine if you enjoy it that way, im fine with clicking if thats what you choose, but its still nowhere near as efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardianwulf View Post
    Selian! So glad you posted again hehe. I am having conniptions trying to set it up the way you have in the video. Can I pick at your brain later for help?
    Sure . I'll be somewhat busy today, but let me know whatever it is that's troubling you, and I'll do my best to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    but pots and such arent. also, even in pve circle strafing is a huge boon, especially in later areas where you really want to kite (build dependent) but not pull another mob. its fine if you enjoy it that way, im fine with clicking if thats what you choose, but its still nowhere near as efficient.
    Well, this isn't about "which is more efficient", it's about playing with a gamepad, which many people enjoy doing.

Aside from a few things that you already mentioned, this game seems like a nice fit for gamepad accessibility, so I decided to give it a try. So far, I'm not disappointed and I imagine quite a few others will enjoy it as well, even if only as an alternative once in awhile.
    Sean "Seilan" Moonside

I played about six rounds of Polaris and two of Hell Rising with a gamepad.

In a combat heavy environment where you don't actually have to click/interact with anything like in quests it works rather well. However I didn't use the builds here for layout.

In order to keep my movement at a premium I put three skills on the R1, L1 and L3 with the R3 as a Modifier to bring up my last skills which left a right thumb stick button push as my 7th skill (which was my group crit buff).

I left everything else except for jump on A and double tap dodge off the setup as all that's quick to do on a keyboard which you need mouse to navigate the menus.

But I'll be sticking with a K&M for launch, still way quicker and easier, less swapping around.

You can circle-strafe. You can do anything you can do on a keyboard. You just need the right binds.

While you can't use items fast (yet) that's something I can live with, and it's something you can live with when it comes to in-game effectiveness.

I still think the gamepad is the best way to play this game. It worked great in PvP, except that it kept messing up whenever I used an AoE placement, but that's just because of my own bad binding. I've fixed it now.

EDIT: I use a similar build with L2 makes leftstick mouse move, but there are a lot of key differences. For example, currently I have the basic dpad as being dodge in that direction, I use the shoulder 1 buttons for enemy targeting (left) and friend target (right) and my window-open buttons are completely different. I might borrow that mouse wheel idea, depends whether I stick with dodging being basic dpad or a set.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCase View Post
    You can circle-strafe. You can do anything you can do on a keyboard. You just need the right binds.

While you can't use items fast (yet) that's something I can live with, and it's something you can live with when it comes to in-game effectiveness.

I still think the gamepad is the best way to play this game. It worked great in PvP, except that it kept messing up whenever I used an AoE placement, but that's just because of my own bad binding. I've fixed it now.
    Yeah. I guess I should have mentioned that. I had originally planned to use the shoulder buttons for skills (L1 - 1, L2 - 2, R2 - 3, with R1 switching to the next set.) Circle strafing could be accomplished with that setup, but I just couldn't stand always having my fingers resting on the shoulder buttons, so I opted for the more "traditional" setup.

This is just a basic guide anyway, and I fully expect anyone who tries it out to switch to their own preferred binds. This just gets some of the basic, tedious stuff out of the way.
    Sean "Seilan" Moonside