I think I've seen enough threads talking about how generating hate is a big issue for tanks ever since Crimson Theatre has been nerfed. Here's just one example of a build which sacrifices some mitigation for a great deal of hate generation - its NOT meant to be an optimised build, but should give some ideas about additional hate generation (hence all the notes about what skills you can switch out).
This build excels in creating large bursts of hate, which is good for aggro resets in particular. You should stack block like *crazy* for this build.
1) Escalation - mandatory, for various reasons. Nuff 'said.
2) Reality Fracture - we're rolling with chaos and hammers, so this replaces Crimson Theatre.
3) Trucker - this is what you open the fight with. Hop back every 20 seconds to use it repeatedly.
4) Razor Shards- apparently +50% hate to next attack at full resources. This is what you use right after Trucker. You can let yourself be hit til you block first, if you want. (see passives)
5) Stone's Throw - and this is what you use right after Razor Shards.
6) Stoicism - Possibly bugged to reduce damage by only 10%, but its here for the 500% threat generation. (switch this out if you like)
7) Provoke- if someone does outpace your hate generation (which is shocking), this puts you back on top of the hate list. If after a fight with your team from pugs you find you didn't need to use Provoke at all, you can switch this out.
Options: Ideally, you should really use an interrupt of choice for NM dungeons. Stonewalled, Immutable, or a second Chaos consumer is also good.
Keeps in mind that Blade Torrent has much more hate generation than Escalation (about 2.6 times hate generation compared to a normal builder. Escalation appears to have about 1.5 times more hate generation than a normal builder due to low damage and lower multiplier). We're running with the general consensus that Escalation is mandatory for other reasons.
1) Agitator - Of course.
2) You're Next - after blocking an attack, you generate TWICE as much hate for 6 seconds.
3) Cool, Calm and Collected - blocking generates hate and other effects. Nobody knows how much hate exactly. (switch this out if you like)
4) Fuel to the Fire - 200 hate per hit (switch this out if you like)
5) Extended Fracture - boosts Reality Fracture just a little (switch this out if you like)
6) Inevitability - Good against bosses with reasonably fast attacks. Not so good against slow but hard hitting bosses (switch this out if you like)
7) Intensity - part of what makes Escalation so wonderful. Use it. Please.
Options: Stone Cold, Turbulence, Hardcase, Forged in Fire, Fever Pitch - lots of options here. Go nuts.
How it works:
Trucker charges the enemy, which is always good, AND give major block chance. Razor Shards not only generates additional hate for itself, but also for the next attack. Stone's Throw is a single target high hate generating attack, and is used right after razor shards whenever possible.
Blocking doubles all hate generation thanks to You're Next.
Agitator, as usual, triples all hate generation.
Edit: Okay, as confirmed by myself and Enepptastic that the in-game status from Razor Shards indicates that it grants +50% hate to the next attack. Not as much as we'd hoped, but should still work nicely with Stone's Throw assuming that it multiplies the same way everything else does.