Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Databases?

Quote Originally Posted by Medic View Post
    The moment you install something on your PC, it is right there plain as day if you know how to read it Unfortunately, keeping it completely secret is impossible. Nice wish, but the administration of such would be... unimaginable.
    It ofcourse has to be kept server side, otherwise the big "extraction issue" wasnt here...

The moment you install something on your PC, it is right there plain as day if you know how to read it Unfortunately, keeping it completely secret is impossible. Nice wish, but the administration of such would be... unimaginable.
    It ofcourse has to be kept server side, otherwise the big "extraction issue" wasnt here...

Quote Originally Posted by Taknor View Post
    I have just one question.

What's the point in paying to play a game and then having someone else play that game for you?
    Exactly. Absolutely. Bingo.

That is what I don't get either.

What's the point in paying to play a game and then having someone else play that game for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Belladawna View Post
    Guess i'm going to be the one to stand out.

I love them.

I'm not a person to get "into" the game. I'm not an RP'er. I never want to be my character.
    I would say your a player very much getting into the games, more intrested in how for example combat mechanics are affected by using diffrent setups/skills etc. and the kind of player that always will have an edge in for example pvp since you obviously know the mechanics of that part of the game, and thats nothing I have a problem with.

The problem of breaking down gamemechanics is the fact that people have to be sitting countless of hours trying to get a "playable" character, and most likely ending up with a character/gaming experience far off from where they wanna be.

And keeping stuff secret when it comes to game mechanics from the community, is impossible since people will always have a way of finding out stuff, and the only way of getting away from this is to make the game as forgiving as possible for diffrent skill-setups and at the same time keep it balanced... hmm.. sounds kinda impossible too to be honest.

So the last resort is what Xtremsecret said earlier:
    ...Often it's the people who first create the community in MMOs that will affect how that community develops. So to an extent it's down to all of us as the trailbreakers to try to create a culture in this game community that informs itself through mechanics but recognises their limitations and puts a premium on fun and personal enjoyment above all.
    X
    I just hope we will get there too...

I love them.

I'm not a person to get "into" the game. I'm not an RP'er. I never want to be my character.
    I would say your a player very much getting into the games, more intrested in how for example combat mechanics are affected by using diffrent setups/skills etc. and the kind of player that always will have an edge in for example pvp since you obviously know the mechanics of that part of the game, and thats nothing I have a problem with.

The problem of breaking down gamemechanics is the fact that people have to be sitting countless of hours trying to get a "playable" character, and most likely ending up with a character/gaming experience far off from where they wanna be.

And keeping stuff secret when it comes to game mechanics from the community, is impossible since people will always have a way of finding out stuff, and the only way of getting away from this is to make the game as forgiving as possible for diffrent skill-setups and at the same time keep it balanced... hmm.. sounds kinda impossible too to be honest.

...Often it's the people who first create the community in MMOs that will affect how that community develops. So to an extent it's down to all of us as the trailbreakers to try to create a culture in this game community that informs itself through mechanics but recognises their limitations and puts a premium on fun and personal enjoyment above all.
    X

I love them.

X

Personally I'm a bit cloven here.

First up, I used to be a forum-geek and an Auno-junkie back in the days. Auno was the basis of most of my twinking, but I used the info collected there (you need xMatMet, yT&S and zMatCre to learn this nano) in my calculations when I started doing the maths for new implants and other stuff I had/could get my hands on, just so I could stay as far ahead as possible in my skills, and thereby not have to leave party every 5 or so levels to go and buy new nanos

Second, I absolutely HATE sites and guilds/orgs/players that tell you you have to have a certain specc/gear/cycle/spud gun to join whatever it might be that you want to join. And I don't mean the hardcore super-guilds/orgs/endgame stuff, I mean normal bejeeping stuff in everyday playing.

Third, I had a fixer as main in AO, and I used to blitz a lot of missions with her. When I did that, I used the clicksaver, since the mission itself didn't really matter. However, I also played a lot with my friends in missions, and when I did, I rolled the missions "by hand" to get that extra bit of game-feeling out of it

I have no idea what my point is, but basically what I want to say is:
    Itemdatabase = good
    Full on stratsguide for ultimate pwn-critter of d00m = bad