Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If the game could choose hardware

If the game could choose hardware

I have performance problems in El Dorado, Fusang, and when fighting world bosses. It is a common problem, I believe most players experience it. It is dealt with by turning down graphical settings, but even then low FPS can be a problem.

So what would the perfect PC for playing TSW be like? I want to have all settings on ultra, max resolution, all eye-candy turned on. And I want to have a high framerate that does not drop below 60 FPS in PvP or world boss fights.

Is this possible? Does such powerful hardware exist? I don't care if the price tag is equivalent with NASA's entire space program, if it exists then please describe the parts and specs.

What would this computer look like, what do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Percival View Post
    What would this computer look like, what do I need?
    A CPU that has multiple times the clock rate and IPC (instructions per clock) of the best modern intel i7 CPU, something that does not exist.
    Aamudarra of The Lost Cause

So the CPU is the biggest bottleneck? I play on a gaming Asus laptop, the CPU (i7-4710) has one fan and the GPU (GTX 880M) has one fan. The CPU fan is rather calm when I play TSW, but the GPU fan blows a lot of warm air.

It would be fun to know what the game developers are running TSW on. Are they making a game that not even they can run at ultra and high framerates?

The bottleneck with TSW is not as easy as saying CPU or GPU. It depends. Really, your GPU will be the limiting factor just because newer GPUs don't play nice with TSW. The "perfect" GPU for TSW would be a GTX 780 Ti. (Or a GTX 790 which is essentially two 780 Ti GPUs on one card.) Anything newer has issues. After that, assuming you have enough CPU power available (any i5 or i7 4700 or higher should be plenty), enough RAM (8GB total is plenty since TSW won't use more than 3GB at a time), and an SSD then you're already eliminated most of the bottlenecks that you can with the game.

My system specs are:
    i5-4670K 3.4GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz
    GTX N760 2GB
    8GB RAM

I play on pretty much max settings and I get over 50FPS in most situations. World bosses are an obvious situation where I do not, but I usually stay above 15FPS during a full world boss which is plenty. My problem during WBs is latency shoots up to over 4.9 seconds and I still can't do anything, but that's nothing to do with my machine and entirely a server issue.

Thanks.

780 Ti? I had heard the GeForce 9xx series had issues, but I did not know that the 8xx series had issues as well. I have, for instance, not seen bad water effects on my PC as I've seen on screenshots from newer graphics cards.

Even if 780 Ti was the last card that had no issues with TSW, I believe the performance is too low. Graphical bugs matters, but I don't think there are much problems with the 8xx series. (But I could be wrong, I have only seen the game run on my 880M.)

What about SLIx4, perhaps with Titan X?

AMD cards work no better with TSW?

The 800 series was only for laptops and was mostly rebrand 700s as far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    The bottleneck with TSW is not as easy as saying CPU or GPU. It depends. Really, your GPU will be the limiting factor just because newer GPUs don't play nice with TSW. The "perfect" GPU for TSW would be a GTX 780 Ti. (Or a GTX 790 which is essentially two 780 Ti GPUs on one card.) Anything newer has issues. After that, assuming you have enough CPU power available (any i5 or i7 4700 or higher should be plenty), enough RAM (8GB total is plenty since TSW won't use more than 3GB at a time), and an SSD then you're already eliminated most of the bottlenecks that you can with the game.

My system specs are:
    i5-4670K 3.4GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz
    GTX N760 2GB
    8GB RAM

I play on pretty much max settings and I get over 50FPS in most situations. World bosses are an obvious situation where I do not, but I usually stay above 15FPS during a full world boss which is plenty. My problem during WBs is latency shoots up to over 4.9 seconds and I still can't do anything, but that's nothing to do with my machine and entirely a server issue.
    I get better performance on a GTX 980, so I suspect there comes a point where the graphics power of the card overcomes whatever issues were brought on by the architecture switch. I also run a i7-2600k @ 4.0GHz, which should be roughly about the same in terms of processing as the i5, since TSW doesn't make use of hyperthreading.

I run at 60+fps on max settings pretty much all the time. During world bosses I might drop below 60 sometimes, but usually it stays above that.

For the record, one thing that really helps is having a SSD, and putting TSW on it. I gained 20-30fps in intensive situations (world bosses, raids, PvP) by doing that. I suspect that because TSW does not use all your available RAM, it does a lot of loading from disk if there are lots of particles/models/textures being created and destroyed constantly. Making sure that your install is not fragmented probably also helps a lot with this, especially for those of us who have had the game installed for 4 years worth of patches now.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoozerman View Post
    For the record, one thing that really helps is having a SSD, and putting TSW on it. I gained 20-30fps in intensive situations (world bosses, raids, PvP) by doing that. I suspect that because TSW does not use all your available RAM, it does a lot of loading from disk if there are lots of particles/models/textures being created and destroyed constantly. Making sure that your install is not fragmented probably also helps a lot with this, especially for those of us who have had the game installed for 4 years worth of patches now.
    Do not defragment SSDs!

Use the manufacturer's trim/optimization tool if you don't trust Windows to do it properly, but any conventional defragmentation program has no business running on an SSD and it will do nothing except for shortening the drive's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    The bottleneck with TSW is not as easy as saying CPU or GPU.
    It is the CPU, but it is not the fault of the CPU itself, but it is the fault of the game and how it is built.

I have had GTX580, GTX670, GTX970, GTX980ti and GTX1080 during the time I have played the game and the game has always performed badly after having run for a while. A /reloadui helps, but the effect of it lasts around 10 minutes or so at best. I have always had 16GB of RAM and my CPU is i7-3770k that has been running at 4,2GHz since the day I bought it over 4 years ago.

I run the game at 2560*1440 resolution and every single time I upgraded my graphics card the fps went up, but that does not really matter since as I already described, the performance goes down after a while. Since /reloadui helps, I suspect there is a serious issue with flash-gui and since flash runs on cpu, well, there is your problem.

I know a lot of cases among the friends I play with who do not have the mightiest of the cpu and they all have the same problem. One of my cabalies got herself a skylake 6700k and the game run quite a bit better for her than it does for me because of more efficient IPC while having similar clockrate (hers was not OCd like mine is). The more of the flash GUI is enabled and the more addons like EffectsUI they run, the shittier the game runs. Again, flash does not run on the GPU and it is really clear when you check your GPU utilization with a program like GPU-Z and see how the GPU is not really working at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightmoon View Post
    Do not defragment SSDs!

Use the manufacturer's trim/optimization tool if you don't trust Windows to do it properly, but any conventional defragmentation program has no business running on an SSD and it will do nothing except for shortening the drive's lifespan.
    Windows 10 "default" defragger actually just issues a TRIM command to the SSDs of the system, so it is safe to use, not that it is of any use though as all the modern SSDs issue this command anyway when idling.

Windows 7 defragger actually defrags even an SSD so if you want to avoid useless writes to the drive, then don't use it. Having that said, most of the modern SSDs are built to last, so even if you defrag them for whatever reason, you will not run out of SSD endurace by doing it. Sure, it will shorten the life span of the drive by some, but in the end it will not matter at all, since the day you will run out of write endurance, the drive is already ancient piece of junk.

Don't believe me? Time to do some reading then