Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If the game could choose hardware

Another important thing to consider would be the software. What windows version would be recommended? I heard of some problems with Win8.1 and Win10.
    Which Nvidia driver version is the newest and still has no/little problems running TSW?

And how is DX9 vs DX11 affecting performance? I had no luck with DX11, the game crashed daily. But others may have better luck using DX11.

Edit, if it wasn't mentioned earlier; I use Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Ironically, it seems that new AMD cards are performing much better than new Nvidia cards are.

I very recently upgraded my system:

Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core
    16 GB DDR4-3200
    Radeon RX 480 8GB
    SSD
    (Still using Windows 7 )

I have virtually no issues with the game's performance, even in DX11, and get no weird graphical glitching that has otherwise been occurring more recently with the newer cards/drivers.

That said, CPU is arguably the biggest bottleneck of the game's performance in the long run, and not for reasons most would expect. Ultimately it comes down to the fact that the UI uses Flash, and Flash is incredibly inefficient and limited to a single thread. All of the client slow downs I experience in the game are related to too much going on in the UI, which can be alleviated somewhat by doing things like turning off damage numbers, replacing the default health bars with more efficient addon ones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynalia View Post
    Ironically, it seems that new AMD cards are performing much better than new Nvidia cards are.

I very recently upgraded my system:

Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core
    16 GB DDR4-3200
    Radeon RX 480 8GB
    SSD
    (Still using Windows 7 )
    Are you sure it's not the cpu? I upgraded recently from:

• Asus P8z77-V
    • i7-3770k @ 4,2GHz
    • G.Skill ripjaws 16GB 1866MHz CL9-10-9

To:
    • Asus Prime z270-A
    • i7-7700k @ 4,5GHz
    • G.Skill ripjaws 16GB 3200MHz CL16-18-18

All the other parts in my system remained the same, including my GTX1080.

The difference between the two is quite noticeable, a lot more than what I expected, which is quite surprising. Then again, I got pretty hefty performance improvement also in Arma2 benchmark, going from 76fps to 102fps (+34% more fps) with the change and Arma2 is known to be heavily CPU limited.
    Aamudarra of The Lost Cause

The CPU upgrade definitely did help performance wise.

With regards to GPUs, I more meant in terms of raw graphical performance and issues. The past year or two Nvidia really seems to have been phoning things in with their driver support, and there have been a lot of reports of poor performance with older games with their newer cards/drivers, TSW included. AMD on the other hand, I grabbed the latest drivers last week after putting my new build together, and am able to run TSW in DX11 mode with absolutely no performance or graphical glitching (texture/lighting issues) like many people have reported getting with Nvidia cards.

Game A performs/works better with Nvidia, game B performs/works better with AMD.

If you could have both Nvidia and AMD GPU mounted on the motherboard....