Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with Hit rating in PvP?

What is wrong with Hit rating in PvP?

Almost everybody say that Hit rating is a bad investment in PvP, and I can see for myself that it is little used, both for DPS and tanks.

What is the reason for this? You don't want to glance, isn't Hit rating helping? Defense rating is commonly used, it causes a lot of glancing. So why isn't Hit good?

I think hit is great in certain situations and countering certain builds. Pen is also great in some situations. In my experience, the true key is recognizing the opponents build and adjusting to compensate.
    Blodwedd Wedd Mallory | Dorothy Dots Gale | Harry Potsy Potter

"In order to disprove the assertion that all crows are black, one white crow is sufficient.” ― William James

Quote Originally Posted by Blodwedd View Post
    recognizing the opponents build and adjusting to compensate.
    That sounds possible if you have one opponent and the time to adapt. But in Shambala, ED and Stonehenge, where you have many opponents?

Quote Originally Posted by Blodwedd View Post
    I think hit is great in certain situations and countering certain builds. Pen is also great in some situations.
    When I did DD'ng, as both Melee and Ranged, I used to have split Hit and Penetration build. 1000 both. Loved it. Im weird when it comes to stats, its overshoot or nothing . Also used that NYR Pen Head and Iron Maiden, so Penetrating was "solid" even against 1000 Block player with Block CD's. High Hit vs. Glancer was less destructive to myself. Not forgotting, no matter did enemy Healer have high Block or Def, even without Corruption, damage was notable and took Healer of from its main job. Against my Healing set, 0 Hit keeps me alive well and Riposte on like... all the time.

0 Hit makes you sucking Weakened states against Nergal and Contradiction users, debuffing your ability to do damage and Hit further. Having 0 Hit can give you both Exposed and Debilitate effect pretty fast (seen this as Nergal user with high Def/Block), and both fully stacked... you have 25% chance to Glance (according PvP suit debuff states), addition to your 0 Hit Chance. So, imo, Hit is really worth it.
    Brian "Sawo" Damage
    John "Sunray" Horror
    "Our strike is deep, unbeatable hate,
    we don't show mercy, we don't have a homeland.
    All of our happiness is at the tip of our swords,
    our hearts can not soften."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Percival View Post
    What is the reason for this? You don't want to glance, isn't Hit rating helping? Defense rating is commonly used, it causes a lot of glancing. So why isn't Hit good?
    As far as I know, Hit counters Evade, not Glance. Pen counters Block, and as a critical hit cannot be glanced, Crit counters Glance.

Otherwise, Hit isn't good because even with +1000 you can't interrupt easily the best pickers (and this is especially the case with Insurance).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    As far as I know, Hit counters Evade, not Glance.
    Well, you can stop here ...
    Make Love(craft), not War(craft) !

Ha Ha ! I m a PvPer...

Vous avez plus de 25 ans ? Voulez rejoindre une cabale cool mais bon niveau ?
    Venez faire un tour chez R.E.D ! (anciennement Le Parkzheimer Club)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Percival View Post
    That sounds possible if you have one opponent and the time to adapt. But in Shambala, ED and Stonehenge, where you have many opponents?
    ED and SH, you can change out between deaths - if you PVP often enough, you know who you need to counter. In Shambala, you have to wait until the next match, I agree, but I frequently adjust my build between fights depending on who is in the room.
    Blodwedd Wedd Mallory | Dorothy Dots Gale | Harry Potsy Potter

"In order to disprove the assertion that all crows are black, one white crow is sufficient.” ― William James

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    As far as I know, Hit counters Evade, not Glance.
    Nope.

Combat rolls goes like this:

1. Evade Rating vs Evade Chance Reduction -> Evade or Hit
    2. Hit Rating vs Defense Rating -> Hit or Glance
    3. Critical Chance vs Defense Rating -> Critical hit or Normal hit
    4. Penetration vs Block -> Penetrate, Blocked or Normal Hit
    Brian "Sawo" Damage
    John "Sunray" Horror

Quote Originally Posted by Sawo View Post
    Nope.

Combat rolls goes like this:

1. Evade Rating vs Evade Chance Reduction -> Evade or Hit
    2. Hit Rating vs Defense Rating -> Hit or Glance
    3. Critical Chance vs Defense Rating -> Critical hit or Normal hit
    4. Penetration vs Block -> Penetrate, Blocked or Normal Hit
    No, crit chance rolls before glance (art of war is an exception).

Quote Originally Posted by Dorito360Noscope View Post
    No, crit chance rolls before glance (art of war is an exception).
    They might have changed, but this is my source.

The damage of an attack can be further mitigated in that a glanced attack cannot become a critical hit
    Hence my Def roll before Crit roll.

Here also, Glance roll is before Crit roll

The chance formulae and the curve fitting parameters following the order of hit type determination:

1. Evade:
    2. Glance:
    3. Critical:
    4. Block and Penetration:
    Brian "Sawo" Damage
    John "Sunray" Horror