DirewolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipsnaps View Post
Good to know atleast from that point.

And then again, glance is not 142% damage reduction like dodge is.

I run both. Winwin?
Glance being 142% damage reduction is a bit of an oversimplification. As far as I've seen, Fleeting Fortress doesn't stack charges, so as your evade gets higher, your chance of evading twice in a row increases. If you evade twice in a row, each evade is only 121% reduction. Three times in a row, it's only 114% reduction, etc.

The problem with evade is that it's very spiky damage. If you get a string of bad luck, you'll get hammered. I think block+defence to minimize pen and crit chance are the most important stats for a tank to get. After that, it's more personal preference.

Nipsnaps

Yes of course the values are oversimplifications, just pointing it out.

I run with a mostly block/prot/evade build with Shadow Play, but tanking is an offspec for me so it is just .1 .2 gear picked up. Though I'm not exactly sure if Shadow Play works the same for countering crits like defense stat or not ...

It is kind of like this though:
If a single big hitting boss, then pretty much any build runs spike problems, as just two full hits in row will cause a dip. BUT they tend to be slow hitting, so either tanks (Art of War or one of the defense buffs) or healers cooldowns are usually easily enough, and chances of two crits or penetrates in row are low as well as if a crit/pene happens that's it, saw a 14.4k crit pene in Ankh yesterday ...

If there are multiple sources of dmg like adds or fast hitting boss, then evade and Inevitability and the "two hits reduced" of evade get better n better, and aside the spikyness issue evade IS the best overall Time to Live defense stat, it just works best with multihit situations.

So I will most likely aim to do a block/prot/evade like I currently have when I start building my tank gear with customs, to get rid of most of penetrates and have block as the highest chance defense skill to work most reliably for big hitters with prot (a full block/prot is the best for big hitters probably if you can choose your prot correctly per boss), and then Art of War will work immensely well with multimob situations combined with Inevitability and some evade rating.

DirewolfX

Quote:
If there are multiple sources of dmg like adds or fast hitting boss, then evade and Inevitability and the "two hits reduced" of evade get better n better, and aside the spikyness issue evade IS the best overall Time to Live defense stat, it just works best with multihit situations.
Only after you've reached the 'anti-pen/crit cap.' We don't know the formulas for pen/crit very well, but the values of Block and Defence for reducing pen and crit respectively are much more than Evade with Fleeting Fortress.

Nipsnaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
Only after you've reached the 'anti-pen/crit cap.' We don't know the formulas for pen/crit very well, but the values of Block and Defence for reducing pen and crit respectively are much more than Evade with Fleeting Fortress.
I haven't parsed any of my tanking runs, how much crit% and pen% are mobs getting? All I can say as a feeling is that crits and pens are very rare unless the mob has some spesific thing bout them. Sure when they happen they can be nasty-y-y ...

And like I love to say to DPS guys failing evading AoE stuff, taking a 5% risk times many minutes times 5 players means that even that 5% risk tends to happen nearly every fight ...

zombocom

Quote:
I haven't parsed any of my tanking runs, how much crit% and pen% are mobs getting? All I can say as a feeling is that crits and pens are very rare unless the mob has some spesific thing bout them. Sure when they happen they can be nasty-y-y ...

And like I love to say to DPS guys failing evading AoE stuff, taking a 5% risk times many minutes times 5 players means that even that 5% risk tends to happen nearly every fight ...
pretty common in nightmares.
on the gripping hand, you could always just full screen the youtube video of downing the boss and flail at your keyboard....end results probably about the same.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/zoss

Kaias26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessingsXI View Post
My stats are 1053 evade, 806 defense, and 550 block. 10,053 HP with one blue vigour signet, and two greens. I'm cheap. 2200 AR ensures that even the 4k dps (yes dps, not AR) I run with can comfortably go all out without having to slot confuse or subtlety. AOE fights I tend to break 2k dps, single target its more around 6-700, but it all adds up.
1053 evade = 1head q10.4 (306) + 3major q10.4 (277*3=831)
You have only 3minor(185*3=555) and 1weapon(319) to stack 806def and 550block...
well well well...

2k dps with your gear...OKAY

DirewolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaias26 View Post
1053 evade = 1head q10.4 (306) + 3major q10.4 (277*3=831)
You have only 3minor(185*3=555) and 1weapon(319) to stack 806def and 550block...
well well well...

2k dps with your gear...OKAY
2k DPS is reasonable on an AoE fight. He's clearly using at least 3 AR talismans with tanking glyphs. 10k health is otherwise easily achievable without signets of vigour.

I do agree that the evade/glance/block rating numbers are high unless he's counting his second weapon or a glyph effect (and the stacking evade rating from his passive).

Edit: Or the bonus defence from the PvP buff.

dmonaghan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessingsXI View Post
Wasted slots: Mass Provoke, Fuel to the fire, Sixth Sense (wtf garbage... watch it more often, see how long it takes to go off in a single target fight, the damage and healing it actually does).

As for the actual purpose of the thread, I disagree with phys prot over all other stats in an all purpose gear set. I hate swapping gear for every boss, every instance, etc.

Here's what I run with on every dungeon but Ankh.

http://thesecretsandbox.com/Deck?abi...0,178,1027,476

This is hands down the highest mitigation spec I could possibly find. This setup may not work with people that don't have my setup, but I'm full 10.4/10.4 except for my sword, which I'm debating on switching out for another weapon for funzies. Sword is 10.2, but a home-made 10.2 with defense. I have an AR headpiece, three health majors, and three AR minors.

My stats are 1053 evade, 806 defense, and 550 block. 10,053 HP with one blue vigour signet, and two greens. I'm cheap. 2200 AR ensures that even the 4k dps (yes dps, not AR) I run with can comfortably go all out without having to slot confuse or subtlety. AOE fights I tend to break 2k dps, single target its more around 6-700, but it all adds up.

In Ankh, I grab trial by swords, stoicism, and spiral of death, knocking out art of war, martial discipline, and Helter Skelter. All for Klein. I can see the questions now. "But Kat, why the Illusion, bosses cant be evaded in Ankh!" You're wrong. Only bosses 1, 2, 5, and klein himself on 6 are counted as true bosses in that instance. Melothat, the zombies that can hit for 8k, the orochis, and the spider boss + minions can all be evaded. Even the bosses that cant be evaded/glanced/blocked, still register evaded/glanced/blocked attacks, so things like the Signet of Hatred, and abilities that proc off mitigations still work. They do the full damage, but still show up as mitigated in your combat log and proc abilities.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/...er/CheshyreKat

There is no point currently of going over 600 def for pve in the game right now, as 600 over hit is current cap. If you have 600 or 1300 (which i found out the hard way) the glance chance is the same around 25%