Catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiver View Post
Hm. Well, I know I'm going to get stoned for this, but am I the only one who's worried about a levelless system? It's wonderful, absolutely, and having a game that requires intelligence instead of money and time wasted is revolutionary, put lightly.

However, I can't help but hear the little voice of the fear of the unknown in the back of my head. All games, even GW, have had some levels, put there for various purposes. WoW was stacked, linear, structured and repetitive, but in it's horrible repetition was a cause; something to do, nay something you had to do, that kept the game moving, even if it was a fabricated and pointless path.

With a levelless system, I almost fear that it will be like a rat and cheese at the other end, without the maze between them. While the maze is pointless, it gives the rat something to do to earn the cheese. Without the maze, the rat needs only to walk to the cheese, without qualm or challenge. But then, the test is over. What more can the rat do? I'm secretly afraid that a levelless system will cause a lack of motivation. Skills are great but what if, eventually, you find that perfect combination of skills and weapon, to the point where you no longer need to earn more skills?

Consider GW. The PvP was fun, but it got boring. A 20 level system, with a small world to explore, and never-changing, instanced wilderness areas made the game obsolete and boring fast. The only thing that could be done to further entertain you was to create another character, and then that plotline never varied between the two classes.

Again, it's not as if I'm not all for a levelless system. Heaven knows we needed something different in this dying MMO market. These are just my latent fears. I'm sure Funcom can think of something altogether extraordinary that will continue to make the game fun. I really just need to stop thinking TSW=Guild Wars.

This could also be AMAZING! If the natural way breaks down then it will evolve into what the players make it. But then it will be hard to attain balance when mass population gets majorly involved. But this game was intended for a whole new freeroam.

Catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiver View Post
Hm. Well, I know I'm going to get stoned for this, but am I the only one who's worried about a levelless system? It's wonderful, absolutely, and having a game that requires intelligence instead of money and time wasted is revolutionary, put lightly.

However, I can't help but hear the little voice of the fear of the unknown in the back of my head. All games, even GW, have had some levels, put there for various purposes. WoW was stacked, linear, structured and repetitive, but in it's horrible repetition was a cause; something to do, nay something you had to do, that kept the game moving, even if it was a fabricated and pointless path.

With a levelless system, I almost fear that it will be like a rat and cheese at the other end, without the maze between them. While the maze is pointless, it gives the rat something to do to earn the cheese. Without the maze, the rat needs only to walk to the cheese, without qualm or challenge. But then, the test is over. What more can the rat do? I'm secretly afraid that a levelless system will cause a lack of motivation. Skills are great but what if, eventually, you find that perfect combination of skills and weapon, to the point where you no longer need to earn more skills?

Consider GW. The PvP was fun, but it got boring. A 20 level system, with a small world to explore, and never-changing, instanced wilderness areas made the game obsolete and boring fast. The only thing that could be done to further entertain you was to create another character, and then that plotline never varied between the two classes.

Again, it's not as if I'm not all for a levelless system. Heaven knows we needed something different in this dying MMO market. These are just my latent fears. I'm sure Funcom can think of something altogether extraordinary that will continue to make the game fun. I really just need to stop thinking TSW=Guild Wars.

This could also be AMAZING! If the natural way breaks down then it will evolve into what the players make it. But then it will be hard to attain balance when mass population gets majorly involved. But this game was intended for a whole new freeroam.

Narvek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcamber View Post
We don't need some guy with a ? over his head that tells us exactly where to go and what to do. We can discover it for ourselves from the game world.
I would be SOO happy if you could learn through dialogue with random seeming NPC's about a monster somewhere, and that you then think: hey let's check it out, and if you kill it the dialogue options change, and maybe that of some others. Not like they are patting you on the head or anything, since, who knows that YOU did it?, but just to make you feel like you contributed to the changing gameworld.

Also, about the questless environment:
I think it's great if people are urged to use the creativity and imagination to set their own goals.
Want to open a nightclub: go make it happen.
Want to become a succesfull rich bountyhunter: do it.
Want to become an anima selling Cabal leader: do that.

I really wish for this game to reach some of it's potential
The Awakened

Cabal for those who have looked beyond the veil in real life.
Spiritual? Occult? Philosophical? Freethinker? Indigo? Seeker? -> Check it out

Narvek

Quote:
We don't need some guy with a ? over his head that tells us exactly where to go and what to do. We can discover it for ourselves from the game world.
I would be SOO happy if you could learn through dialogue with random seeming NPC's about a monster somewhere, and that you then think: hey let's check it out, and if you kill it the dialogue options change, and maybe that of some others. Not like they are patting you on the head or anything, since, who knows that YOU did it?, but just to make you feel like you contributed to the changing gameworld.

I think it's great if people are urged to use the creativity and imagination to set their own goals.

The Awakened

Narvek

Quote:

The Awakened

Enkmar

My two favorite things about the skill system are the freedom to group with whoever you want and the creativity it grants you in building your character.

Getting rid of levels gets rid of level brackets, zones where only people of level xx+ can survive, etc. In an MMO we should be able to group with whoever we want. Nothing sucks more than being unable to group with your friends because you had a busy weekend and fell 5 levels behind.

In every game I've played, be it class or skill, I've always found certain powers, spells, attacks, or whatever that I've wanted to meld together to create what I perceive as a cool character. It's usually only in skill systems that I can do this.

Enkmar

My two favorite things about the skill system are the freedom to group with whoever you want and the creativity it grants you in building your character.

Getting rid of levels gets rid of level brackets, zones where only people of level xx+ can survive, etc. In an MMO we should be able to group with whoever we want. Nothing sucks more than being unable to group with your friends because you had a busy weekend and fell 5 levels behind.

In every game I've played, be it class or skill, I've always found certain powers, spells, attacks, or whatever that I've wanted to meld together to create what I perceive as a cool character. It's usually only in skill systems that I can do this.

Enkmar

Unutterable

I want fire magic and a big ass sword.

I want a HoX in this game.

Unutterable

I want fire magic and a big ass sword.

I want a HoX in this game.