Kendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayn View Post
I think what is going to make this game "hard" will be the skill system.
THIS times a bajillion.

There won't be a set path to follow. Which is why it's going to be of paramount importance that the tutorial for TSW be as informative and bulletproof as possible. There is going to have to be an easy way for players to reset potential mistakes.

Probably my biggest gripe about AoC is there is no confirmation when setting feats. So, if you accidentally click the wrong skill, it can be very very costly. Too costly, especially when the new player isn't told directly by the game 'hey, no worries, you can reset your feats by visiting a trainer'. Even as a launch day vet, I clicked the wrong feat after clearing them out - which cost me 3g to fix it. Was more than a bit pissed considering that was 1/3rd of my total g I had on my character.

One of the biggest reasons for the NGE in SWG was that the players who quit, when asked, didn't understand the skill system. Their metrics told them that most players that quit didn't get the 'do anything' template possibilities. Keep in mind, a relatively small percentage of players read the forums, or even know about them. Most percentages I see/read/hear are between 10 and 20 percent of the total player base looks at the forums EVER for their MMO of choice. So, you can't rely on the forums to get information on how to play your game - as well you shouldnt expect the players to have to come to the forums to learn to play the game.

This game, I believe, is going to live or die by how informative they make the tutorial in many many ways.
Kendric
Huldra
"What's next, giant spiders? Giant cockroaches?? FUCKING CIRCUS CLOWNS?"

Kendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayn View Post
I think what is going to make this game "hard" will be the skill system.
THIS times a bajillion.

There won't be a set path to follow. Which is why it's going to be of paramount importance that the tutorial for TSW be as informative and bulletproof as possible. There is going to have to be an easy way for players to reset potential mistakes.

Probably my biggest gripe about AoC is there is no confirmation when setting feats. So, if you accidentally click the wrong skill, it can be very very costly. Too costly, especially when the new player isn't told directly by the game 'hey, no worries, you can reset your feats by visiting a trainer'. Even as a launch day vet, I clicked the wrong feat after clearing them out - which cost me 3g to fix it. Was more than a bit pissed considering that was 1/3rd of my total g I had on my character.

One of the biggest reasons for the NGE in SWG was that the players who quit, when asked, didn't understand the skill system. Their metrics told them that most players that quit didn't get the 'do anything' template possibilities. Keep in mind, a relatively small percentage of players read the forums, or even know about them. Most percentages I see/read/hear are between 10 and 20 percent of the total player base looks at the forums EVER for their MMO of choice. So, you can't rely on the forums to get information on how to play your game - as well you shouldnt expect the players to have to come to the forums to learn to play the game.

This game, I believe, is going to live or die by how informative they make the tutorial in many many ways.
Kendric
Huldra
"What's next, giant spiders? Giant cockroaches?? FUCKING CIRCUS CLOWNS?"

Kendo

Quote:
An informative tutorial is indeed of great importance for people. And ofcourse when you make a mistake in clicking the wrong skill, it sucks. So a confirmation will be handy, still too many confirmations are irritating.

Kendo

Quote:
An informative tutorial is indeed of great importance for people. And ofcourse when you make a mistake in clicking the wrong skill, it sucks. So a confirmation will be handy, still too many confirmations are irritating.

Kendo

Quote:

obba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post

Yes, I think that's the main reason that SWG pre CU wasn't the success SOE hoped for. There were almost no tutorials helping players get started and explain the skill system. I had to ask other players a lot of questions myself before I understood the game. But I think it was a lot more interesting than the level system SWG and most other MMO’s has today. No levels makes the game more challenging because you cannot know the strength of your opponent by just looking at its level.

obba

Quote:

Yes, I think that's the main reason that SWG pre CU wasn't the success SOE hoped for. There were almost no tutorials helping players get started and explain the skill system. I had to ask other players a lot of questions myself before I understood the game. But I think it was a lot more interesting than the level system SWG and most other MMO’s has today. No levels makes the game more challenging because you cannot know the strength of your opponent by just looking at its level.

obba

Quote:

matteb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by obba View Post
However, if the difficulty of defeating a player is largely based on skill, the huge gap between "pro" players and newbies should be rendered nonexistent, because it does not matter how big your epenis is (ie how good your items/clothes/attacks/weapons are), what matters is how you use it (how skillful you are at using your character to eliminate the other one). This brings the players to a level playing field.

matteb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by obba View Post
However, if the difficulty of defeating a player is largely based on skill, the huge gap between "pro" players and newbies should be rendered nonexistent, because it does not matter how big your epenis is (ie how good your items/clothes/attacks/weapons are), what matters is how you use it (how skillful you are at using your character to eliminate the other one). This brings the players to a level playing field.