Elberet

Jeez, why would a willingness to pay any amount of money qualify anyone as a suitable beta tester? It boggles the mind, really...

I you wanted to select good testers based on objective criteria, show them a few bug-ridden screenshots and badly designed UIs and have them write up a mock bugreport. That should tell you exactly how good they are, what kind of technical know-how they have, if they can relate to the problems the developer (= the guy or gal fiddling with code until there's a game born from a few billion ones and zeroes, not the company they work for) may face, and if they have the smarts to recognize and accurately describe the bugs they're supposed to help catch.

Gerard

I can see where you are coming from, OP. Those who really want in often fear that "undeserving" testers should be chosen.

There is no need for a monetary incentive to keep the beta tester stock "pure" however.

They may demand a certain level of minimum activity to stay a beta tester. If someone doesn't fill their quota, they may be removed.

If they find themselves in lack of active beta testers, I'm sure they will silently issue further beta keys to available applicants.

Allowing people that normally would only play free games to play, is one way to recruit people into the world of pay to play games. Those people will have friends they met in free games. They might convince some of their friends to play the pay to play game. Free beta is also a way of enlarging your potential player base.

Gerard

I can see where you are coming from, OP. Those who really want in often fear that "undeserving" testers should be chosen.

There is no need for a monetary incentive to keep the beta tester stock "pure" however.

They may demand a certain level of minimum activity to stay a beta tester. If someone doesn't fill their quota, they may be removed.

If they find themselves in lack of active beta testers, I'm sure they will silently issue further beta keys to available applicants.

Allowing people that normally would only play free games to play, is one way to recruit people into the world of pay to play games. Those people will have friends they met in free games. They might convince some of their friends to play the pay to play game. Free beta is also a way of enlarging your potential player base.

Gerard

glenkrasner

DefaultOne way or another.....

They will get their beta testers...To me, it doesnt matter how, just as long as a group will do what beta testers are there for.
I have been on many beta lists, but never chosen, but I still anticapate the release

glenkrasner

They will get their beta testers...To me, it doesnt matter how, just as long as a group will do what beta testers are there for.
I have been on many beta lists, but never chosen, but I still anticapate the release

glenkrasner

kboleen

I prefer Sci-Fi style games. I was a huge Star Wars Galaxies fan until New Game Enhancements (NGE). I especially enjoyed the lack of levels until Combat Upgrade (CU). Those two reasons alone are enough for me to play Secret World. I've played Anarchy Online but didn't stay with it because it relied to heavily on endless grinding. I prefer Quest Based games and I hope TSW features this.

kboleen

I prefer Sci-Fi style games. I was a huge Star Wars Galaxies fan until New Game Enhancements (NGE). I especially enjoyed the lack of levels until Combat Upgrade (CU). Those two reasons alone are enough for me to play Secret World. I've played Anarchy Online but didn't stay with it because it relied to heavily on endless grinding. I prefer Quest Based games and I hope TSW features this.

kboleen