John Seward

I would not be interested in a game with an increased pace, myself. In the MMOs I've played, I've really disliked playing alongside people who blast through missions at high speed. I prefer a slower pace for three reasons:

First, the scenery is part of the appeal of an MMO to me. In MMO player "personality" tests, I'm often characterized as, in part, an "explorer." The ambience, the setting, and the background graphics are all important parts of the experience for me. If I could literally stop to smell the roses, I would.

Second, I prefer a more cerebral gaming style. Problem-solving rather than "zerging." The best combats for me are puzzles in themselves, involving tactics - timing & terrain - and some amount of planning and preparation. In the particular case of TSW, one of the classic humans-vs-monsters myths is about brains overcoming brawn; the heroes facing down a terrible danger with cunning, courage, and guile. A normal man can't simply brawl with a werewolf or a Deep One.

Third, when I play an MMORPG, I like to roleplay and engage with my teammates. Every MMORPG I've ever played has been a poor single-player game, and also a poor multi-player combat game. I played "Fallout 3" and "Company of Heroes" to death, for instance, and I had fun with "Team Fortress", although it couldn't hold my attention. No MMORPG I've played has ever done what those games do, half as well as they do them.

So if I'm not enjoying cooperative PvE in large game spaces that are fun to explore, there's not much point in playing an MMO, for me. In my experience, a high tempo compromises both of those aspects of gameplay.

John Seward

I would not be interested in a game with an increased pace, myself. In the MMOs I've played, I've really disliked playing alongside people who blast through missions at high speed. I prefer a slower pace for three reasons:

First, the scenery is part of the appeal of an MMO to me. In MMO player "personality" tests, I'm often characterized as, in part, an "explorer." The ambience, the setting, and the background graphics are all important parts of the experience for me. If I could literally stop to smell the roses, I would.

Second, I prefer a more cerebral gaming style. Problem-solving rather than "zerging." The best combats for me are puzzles in themselves, involving tactics - timing & terrain - and some amount of planning and preparation. In the particular case of TSW, one of the classic humans-vs-monsters myths is about brains overcoming brawn; the heroes facing down a terrible danger with cunning, courage, and guile. A normal man can't simply brawl with a werewolf or a Deep One.

Third, when I play an MMORPG, I like to roleplay and engage with my teammates. Every MMORPG I've ever played has been a poor single-player game, and also a poor multi-player combat game. I played "Fallout 3" and "Company of Heroes" to death, for instance, and I had fun with "Team Fortress", although it couldn't hold my attention. No MMORPG I've played has ever done what those games do, half as well as they do them.

So if I'm not enjoying cooperative PvE in large game spaces that are fun to explore, there's not much point in playing an MMO, for me. In my experience, a high tempo compromises both of those aspects of gameplay.

John Seward

Barujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arqe View Post
I dont think they can.Becouse MMORPG games dont have GIGA maps.None of them ...
UpTempo game is not for MMORPG.Becouse there is always a storyline.
For example you pay 40 - 50$ to Mirror's Edge right ? You cannot except hundreds of playtime for single player game like that. But when you pay for MMORPG you are hoping you are gonna play that game for years. And if there is uptempo in MMORPG only thing you can do is repeating your moves all the time. Thats all.
MMORPG's must be realistic for better gameplay experience not with only fantasy elements.
I think the focus is on gameplay style not how fast a player can go through the whole story/game. One example I can think of is a super-human hero who gets ganged upon by a group of enemies simultaneously and ends up staying alive. That would be rather intense, fast-paced action. So far, MMOs just don't deliver that kind of thrill. Honestly, I've practically given up MMOs because of this problem. Why do you think I'm here? I'm hoping TSW will change MMO stereotypes. I agree with many points the OP brought up. That is the kind of gaming I've been waiting for. I hope TSW does that kind of stuff.

PS: Read the whole OP, people.

Barujin

Quote:
For example you pay 40 - 50$ to Mirror's Edge right ? You cannot except hundreds of playtime for single player game like that. But when you pay for MMORPG you are hoping you are gonna play that game for years. And if there is uptempo in MMORPG only thing you can do is repeating your moves all the time. Thats all.
MMORPG's must be realistic for better gameplay experience not with only fantasy elements.
I think the focus is on gameplay style not how fast a player can go through the whole story/game. One example I can think of is a super-human hero who gets ganged upon by a group of enemies simultaneously and ends up staying alive. That would be rather intense, fast-paced action. So far, MMOs just don't deliver that kind of thrill. Honestly, I've practically given up MMOs because of this problem. Why do you think I'm here? I'm hoping TSW will change MMO stereotypes. I agree with many points the OP brought up. That is the kind of gaming I've been waiting for. I hope TSW does that kind of stuff.

Barujin

Quote:

Eirev

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seward View Post
I think the closest mmo to what is being descibed in this thread as an upbeat mmo would be Phantasy Star Universe (see video ). It was fun for quite a while..... but as John said, it became boring quickly because it was pretty much a zergfest. Most tactics/puzzles were compromised to provide faster gameplay. Same with City of Heroes/Villains.

I like a lot of ideas in the second part of the OP's post, but after the massive flop that PSU was, I'm extremely wary of gameplay that is too fast in mmorpgs.

Eirev

Quote:
I think the closest mmo to what is being descibed in this thread as an upbeat mmo would be Phantasy Star Universe (see video ). It was fun for quite a while..... but as John said, it became boring quickly because it was pretty much a zergfest. Most tactics/puzzles were compromised to provide faster gameplay. Same with City of Heroes/Villains.

I like a lot of ideas in the second part of the OP's post, but after the massive flop that PSU was, I'm extremely wary of gameplay that is too fast in mmorpgs.

Eirev

Quote:

Malcamber

Champions Online attempts to create a more dynamic combat pacing with faster, more fluid animation times and the ability to perform some moves while moving. The result is not optimal, but I think they're on the right track.

The other aspect to an up-tempo combat system would be a lower health pool that results in defeat from fewer hits. Aside from more realistically portraying the frailties of the human body, this could open the door for forms of migiation that require active participation from the player, like dodging or properly timed magic. This would definitely give a game a more action-y feel.

ET IN ARCADIA EGO