Xxav

DefaultAssigned Roles for PVP?

"Funcom announced that players would be analyzed and assigned a role upon entering a battlefield. Depending on the role assigned to a player, his outfit will be changed to role-specific armor. This gives each player a distinctive look based on his combat role, thereby allowing players to be immediately identified. In this way, allies know which players to protect and which enemies to focus on."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08...ore/#continued

I was trying to find more information on this, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what this means? I'd hate to be assigned the same role based on the skills I chose for my character everytime I PVP.

Minimalist

I believe whatever skill deck you have currently set will determine how your character outfit will be. So like if the majority of your skills are a tank type, and you also have part DPS and healing or magic, your outfit will be shown as a tank type. How the outfits will look like I dunno though.
Random
Reckless
Relentless

Secondthought

The description sounds purely cosmetic. As in, it's a method for people to quickly determine whether they're combating a tank or a dps by just looking at a character. Rather than a team requirement (e.g. "Warzone will not launch before 2+ healers join").

It sounds similar to the little portrait icons that Rift uses to designate builds that are tank, healer, dps and support.

This is speculation, of course.

Hefutoxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxav View Post
"Funcom announced that players would be analyzed and assigned a role upon entering a battlefield. Depending on the role assigned to a player, his outfit will be changed to role-specific armor. This gives each player a distinctive look based on his combat role, thereby allowing players to be immediately identified. In this way, allies know which players to protect and which enemies to focus on."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08...ore/#continued

I was trying to find more information on this, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what this means? I'd hate to be assigned the same role based on the skills I chose for my character everytime I PVP.
If you are assigned a role you hate, maybe you chose poorly on skills for the role you like.

Eg: Choosing a ton of healing skills when trying to be a DPS type role.

Xxav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
I believe whatever skill deck you have currently set will determine how your character outfit will be. So like if the majority of your skills are a tank type, and you also have part DPS and healing or magic, your outfit will be shown as a tank type. How the outfits will look like I dunno though.
Well armor is pure cosmetic from what I understand right? There's no stats on armor, only weapons and misc stuff like a tailsman. Perhaps I read it wrong, and the outfit will show what type of abilities you have, so it's easier to identify what you're going up against in which case I'm fine with.

Mara

I don't mind this, it makes easier to play with randoms.

Minimalist

Quote:
Well armor is pure cosmetic from what I understand right? There's no stats on armor, only weapons and misc stuff like a tailsman. Perhaps I read it wrong, and the outfit will show what type of abilities you have, so it's easier to identify what you're going up against in which case I'm fine with.
Yeah. There's the PvP outfit that everyone will have when they do PvP(I think it's to help identify players, especially in persistent warzones) and they are just cosmetic, there's no stats to those.

Oh and you can change skill decks if there is an anima well nearby
Random
Reckless
Relentless

Secondthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefutoxin View Post
If you are assigned a role you hate, maybe you chose poorly on skills for the role you like.

Eg: Choosing a ton of healing skills when trying to be a DPS type role.
Or maybe you can use the misidentification intentionally to mislead your enemies. In Rift, my Reaver/Riftblade was often labelled a "tank" in pvp, but I topped the DPS charts with regularity. Made for some interesting surprises when people thought "he's a tank, ignore him".

Kendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondthought View Post
This is speculation, of course.
And probably right on the money.

This is going to suck for the healers if it's how it works out.
Kendric
Huldra
"What's next, giant spiders? Giant cockroaches?? FUCKING CIRCUS CLOWNS?"

John Todd Collins

Quote:
"This gives each player a distinctive look based on his combat role, thereby allowing players to be immediately identified. In this way, allies know which players to protect and which enemies to focus on."
??? Why on (or in) earth would I want an enemy to know that I am the (insert role here)? This would allow the opposition to ignore the tank, rape the healers and ranged, then mop up the rest ....

Silly idea ... I hope it dies a quick but very painful death.
There is no Clockwork Society!

“Enlightenment is not imagining figures of light but making the darkness conscious.”

Gareth Kuranes Delapore - Illuminati -Kingpin of "The Gnomes of Zurich" - Arcadia