Elricmerrren`

One thing that comes to mind is that quests are less about leveling, and more abotu telling a story and relaying infomation to you as a player. As such being able to fill up on a quest long of them is going to have afew bad effects, which would be crowding your log with quests that you might not pay attention to if you had only largely that one, and also making you want to rush too much. By limiting the number you get you focus more on the quests you have, although you can leave i think unfinsihed tiers of quests an come back to them later.

Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylon View Post
Hmm, so 3 missions only at any one time (main, story, and side).

Without knowing how the game needs to be played, maybe we can't really protest...maybe we get entrenched in areas and stick around them till we need to move on, so that tracking a zillion missions all at once isn't necessary...though I have to admit I'd probably like to be able to pick up more than one sidequest at any one time, just for variety.
Well the side missions from description are found around the world, so to limit it to one at a time means that if you find something in some obscure spot you'd have to start making lists and notes which you can only use once you've finished with your current one.. as though the bees have made you physically incapable of multi-tasking or even the ability to thnk of multiple things. I think it's odd. It essentially enforces a time sink of needing to retrace your footprints just so you can pick up a suspicious necklace. Or mess around with some oddly placed twigs.

Kolchak

Myself, I'm the obsessive compulsive type. One quest at a time is how I like to play. If I spot a Quest giver/Quest item lying about I make a note on my handy note pad and come back to it when I finish the quest I'm on. Simple and focussed. AND it increases my immersion factor as far as story.

One doesn't sit down and read, Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, A Christmas Carol and A tale of Two Cities all at the same time. (Those are classic books for the younger members of the forum. ;-) ) One reads them one at a time to their conclusion then moves on to the next.

So looking forward to the game.

Yume

What if your friend is on another mission, and he asks you to join him. But you already have your three mission allowance filled up. Can you drop a mission and join your friend?

On the other side of the coin, I like how TSW is shaping up to be streamlined and simplified, no extraneous junk all over the place (mind out of the gutter, babylon) and dozens of quests you lose track of.

Pros and cons.

babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
On the other side of the coin, I like how TSW is shaping up to be streamlined and simplified, no extraneous junk all over the place (mind out of the gutter, babylon)
Ohh single me out why don't you :P

JerryC

From what I gather TSW quests are bigger than normal quests

You aren't talking about "go kill 20 zombies", you are talking about "go investigate mysterious phenomenon at the light house"

The quest it self then has several stages of progression, one of which may be "collect tissue samples from zombies near lighthouse" e.g kill 20 in disguise.

So tsw quests are like mini story arcs. Instead if get quest from npc,hand in get next quest etc.. from most mmos, where you sometimes get a mini story arc for that npc (e.g. poor old mankrik) in tsw the mini story arc is within the multi- stage quest

From what I gather you can put quests on hold and pick a different active quest, and the game remembers what stage of that quest you got too when you finally return to it.

Valiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
What if your friend is on another mission, and he asks you to join him. But you already have your three mission allowance filled up. Can you drop a mission and join your friend?

On the other side of the coin, I like how TSW is shaping up to be streamlined and simplified, no extraneous junk all over the place (mind out of the gutter, babylon) and dozens of quests you lose track of.

Pros and cons.
I believe that is the point of the tiers. The progress you make in a quest is saved, so you can help your friend with their quest and then come back and continue your quest from your last completed tier.

Ascillian

I am a quest junkie, so this limited system of quests at one time will take some getting used to. I'm not totally opposed to it, I'd have to actually play with it to see.

I really do like the idea of a journal in game. I think there are two ways that it can go that would be really useful. Having a type of searchable log of information and things you have found in game would be very nice. Perhaps a file on your computer that will keep track of important places, people and things. As you talk to npc's or explore the world, you can refer back to your log and brush up on something you might have forgotten.

Also, it would definitely be good to have a diary of sorts that you could access in game (and possibly out of game as well...maybe something that you could go to on the forums when you log into your account). This would be a perfect place to jot down theories or other thoughts that you get while doing things. I know a lot of times I'll want to go back and do something after I finish whatever I'm working on, and this would be a good way to keep track of those things.

thechosenone

The Venetian

I recall them saying that eventhough you could just have 3 'active' quests at a time but that if you would leave a quest and you would return to that NPC later on you wuld be able to continue the quest or sth --- that along with tears... I think we shouldn't worry to much.

Lordjay

Yes it was said:
1 main story quest
1 Investigation quest
1 side quest
At any given time,but it was also said that it might change if there was enough out cry.

But we dont know if there is a quest journal of sorts that can hold like 30 quests but we can only select 1 of each quest class.(ok 30 might be a bit much)

I wouldnt mind if we have an inactive quest journal in which we could select quests at any time and make them active.