JerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruptjunction View Post
I don't know how similar the PVP is between TSW and GW2. Both have "reduced size" actionbars. But competitive PVP in GW2 will give boost you to max level and give you all your abilities. So I'd say GW2 PVP is 100% based on skill... whereas PVP in TSW - well, I'm not sure. I doubt they'll gives us all 500+ abilities without any levelling involved.

Closed beta is still underway for GW2, but a April/May release does seem very much possible. I believe the beta started at the beginning of the year, so 4-5 months seems to be a reasonable amount of time before release.
well both games have
limited skill selection
More action orientated combat
Rated arena (though with gw2 it is at max level)
Battlegrounds
Tsw has persistent large scale 3 sided pvp
Gw2 has semi-persistent large scale 3 sided pvp
Tsw has ffa fight clubs
Gw2 has tournaments
Both have leaderboards

They have more in common with each other pvp wise than any other current mmos.

nikthebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestonian View Post
GW2 has a HUGE fanbase/following and a lot of gaming sites are hyped up to hell with all things GW2.
This actually great. The backlash from the community once the hype dies down is going to be quite severe. Unless they make good on their promises, in which case we're greeted with a great fantasy MMO. A win-win situation for us gamers.

That said, for me, GW2 is completely eclipsed by TSW. Both looks interesting in their own way but TSW brings far more interesting features to the table.
Blacklisted.

Vaun

woot, bout time!

abruptjunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvadan View Post
It's not a competition between TSW and GW2, so why worry? They have different business models, different settings and most likely different audiences too. Judge TSW on it's own merits.
I'm gonna have to disagree. It's head-to-head competition.

Business model is irrelevant. And while the setting is different, they are both targeted towards MMORPG players. That's a market with a fixed size.

Vankel

Quote:

Business model is irrelevant. And while the setting is different, they are both targeted towards MMORPG players. That's a market with a fixed size.
Yeah these games have a lot in common in terms of game design and the kind of players it will appeal to.
  • Non-WOW combat.
  • Flexible character development system with multiple builds and players able to take on multiple roles.
The main differences are setting and payment model, which I don't think is irrelevant.

Both games look to be on par in terms of what they're offering but GW2 is substantially cheaper and doesn't mix two somewhat incompatible business models. If they were launching side by side I think TSW would be completely screwed. But the difference between launch dates might be enough that some will play TSW to fill the time while waiting for GW2.

Ariensky Crowley

Quote:

Is Lego universe an MMO?
Is Hello Kitty online an MMO?
Would me playing TSW mean I am likely to play one of these others as well?
It is like saying "The book market is fixed in size"
..so a cook-book and a Kama-sutra book will compete
As well as Sci-fi and Fantacy.

I disagree with that assumption..
Just because something uses the same medium does not mean they are competing.
..at least not if people have pre-disposistioned tastes.
Adding to that Ragnar is known as a good author of the medium.

Kind Regards
-A∴ Crowley
http://www.Argenteum-Astrum.org/Stam...php?image=Test

abruptjunction

The MMORPG market is much smaller, and much more narrowly defined, than the "book" market.

You can only play one game at a time. You cannot play 2 games simultaneously.

But these 2 games are already showing up on MMORPG fansites as the next 2 MMORPGs to watch for. Lego, Hello Kitty, etc, are not on those lists. While those polls aren't necessarily 100% factual/reliable, they show that consumers believe that these 2 games actually ARE in direct competition: People who are interested in GW2 are also interested in TSW, and vice versa.

ScytheKnight

I think the point where TSW takes a big step apart is the setting... It's not sci-fi (Eve, STO, TOR, etc.) and it's not fantasy (WoW, GW2, LoTRO, Rift, Aeon, FF, etc.) instead it's present day dark fantasy... the ONLY other competition for that setting I can think of is WOD and that's still a long way off.
Amelia

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...40ca5652a6.gif

excited much