iSmartMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formorian View Post
Basically I'm gripping cause I was told I would be able to tailor make my class but I can't use shotgun, pistols, rifles, elemental or blood magic to tank with. It seems like there will be an obvious cookie cutter build that will be a combination of Hammer/Blades with Chaos magic that will be the "correct" answer to tanking and any other combination will be like playing a Retardadin in WoW classic. I also fear that this will extent to healing and DPS roles as well.
So, what were you expecting? Did you really expect that every weapon category would have active skills that could fulfill every role? Did you expect there to be damage mitigation and healing active skills in Shotguns? Wouldn't it make sense for a burly melee fighter to be able to take more damage and for someone using black magic to be better able to irritate an enemy into focusing on them? They can't just assign skills and abilities to various weapons without rhyme or reason.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I've never played Rift, but does one soul equate to one ability? If so, then you actually have 14 souls that can be reused as often as you like, and the only limitations are that seven can only be used on active abilities, seven can only be used on passive, and NO OTHER LIMITATIONS!

And now I'm getting curious, could you please give some specific examples of what you were hoping to see that you aren't seeing?

Kazzamo

Right... because out of the at least 189 skills for chaos, blade, and hammer collectively only 14 out of all those will be the only good tanking ones. Seems perfectly logical.

JerryC

Quote:
Basically I'm gripping cause I was told I would be able to tailor make my class but I can't use shotgun, pistols, rifles, elemental or blood magic to tank with. It seems like there will be an obvious cookie cutter build that will be a combination of Hammer/Blades with Chaos magic that will be the "correct" answer to tanking and any other combination will be like playing a Retardadin in WoW classic. I also fear that this will extent to healing and DPS roles as well.
we don't know that there may be tank skills with those also

Hycoo

Not to mention that different tank builds will be best suited for different encounters.

brody

Quote:
Is the choice to be less then optimal really a choice? These "choices" aren't real choices if it causes you have a less then optimal build. My point is the game is barely in beta and I can already theory craft what the optimal cookie cutter specs are going to be.

Luckily swords mixed with chaos magic sounds cool to me.
this game has the potential to be theorycrafred to death. keep in mind though that other players ability's will also affect yours. if everyone had the same "cookie cutter" build. it would end up being less than optimal.

im going swords and blood majic. cheers.

brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSmartMan View Post
So, what were you expecting? Did you really expect that every weapon category would have active skills that could fulfill every role? Did you expect there to be damage mitigation and healing active skills in Shotguns? Wouldn't it make sense for a burly melee fighter to be able to take more damage and for someone using black magic to be better able to irritate an enemy into focusing on them? They can't just assign skills and abilities to various weapons without rhyme or reason.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I've never played Rift, but does one soul equate to one ability? If so, then you actually have 14 souls that can be reused as often as you like, and the only limitations are that seven can only be used on active abilities, seven can only be used on passive, and NO OTHER LIMITATIONS!

And now I'm getting curious, could you please give some specific examples of what you were hoping to see that you aren't seeing?
each class in rift has 7 souls to choose from. a soul equates to a talent tree ala WoW. you can have 3 souls active at any time. and you use youre talent points however you want between those 3.

brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hycoo View Post
Not to mention that different tank builds will be best suited for different encounters.
and this too. different mobs have different resistances and such. so not every build will work on all enemy's. man this skill system is kinda deep.

Formorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hycoo View Post
So as the guild tank I will have to respec between each boss battle? That doesn't sound like much fun either.

Seems to me like general chat will be full of people LF X skill rather then LF particular role.

iSmartMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody View Post
each class in rift has 7 souls to choose from. a soul equates to a talent tree ala WoW. you can have 3 souls active at any time. and you use youre talent points however you want between those 3.
Oh. In that case, TSW's skill system is nothing like Rift's soul system.

Formorian, you mentioned the flash skill wheel, were you thinking that what happens when you click on one of the category names had some gameplay effect? It doesn't. There's nothing stopping you at any point from returning to the full wheel and picking a different skill from there.

Formorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody View Post
this game has the potential to be theorycrafred to death. keep in mind though that other players ability's will also affect yours. if everyone had the same "cookie cutter" build. it would end up being less than optimal.

im going swords and blood majic. cheers.
In PvP it would create an interesting meta-game if particular "cookie cutter" builds had counter builds to them. So as soon as you know that most PvPer pick a particular build you could make your own build that perfectly counters it. Funcom will have to be carefull to make this a posibility.

As far as PvE is concerned my worry is that the last slot will be difficult to fill as players will always be looking for a player with that elusive skill that spells "I Win" for the particular task they want to complete. That or one player will always have to respec to get the "I Win" skill.