Ithnag

Player Ab Initio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
One of the articles was an interview with Martin (Near the bottom), he talks about places in the world where theres "camps" of certain enemy types, you get special penetration stuff from mobs that require you to build a penetration deck to beat etc. It seemed like this stuff would be above and beyond the norm, and I'd assume it could be used in crafting aswell?

Perhaps not.
That's for very specific things, however those specific loot items can also be attained in Dungeons, where we have also word bosses and mobs have this kind of properties. And those are instanced.

Ithnag

Player Ab Initio

Quote:
Well, the problem is that you don't get specific suffixes and prefixes from what was said, they don't have any tangibility you can have access to those from the start of the game you're only limited by the materials you have. Unless I'm understanding Joel wrongly.
I'm pretty sure we have just heard the very, very basics of the system.

Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithnag View Post
I'm pretty sure we have just heard the very, very basics of the system.
Nevermind it seems like the pre and suffixes are a seperate system, or something slightly seperate anyway, since martin talks about acquiring them specifically as things you can apply. Whereas we don't acquire recipes... so mmm.

Ithnag

Player Ab Initio

Quote:
Nevermind it seems like the pre and suffixes are a seperate system, or something slightly seperate anyway, since martin talks about acquiring them specifically as things you can apply. Whereas we don't acquire recipes... so mmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
It's not driven by a skill stat, but rather player skill. You don't unlock/buy recipes. You disassemble and learn from it. Crafting is supposed to be a support tool for player playing the game. If you really want crit/pen/damage/health on your lower chakra you can play and hope it drops, buy it on the tradepost, or craft it. Keep in mind that our items consist really of 3 items; prefix core and suffiix. If you want the gear to compliment you build you will need very specific gear (depending on what you want to achieve ofc).

The shape of the item (3x4 grid) defines the item type (shotgun, sword, misc chakra types, etc) and the materials used define the stat type on them. (crit chance, penetration chance, block chance, etc)
Apparently the suffix and prefix would depend on the materials used.

Luna

Quote:
Apparently the suffix and prefix would depend on the materials used.
Well, that does make sense, guess the camps will be for specific materials then.. of course time will tell since we dont have any real knowledge on crafting for a few more days when that ZAM article comes out.

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
No this is incorrect.
There is not a recipe book. You learn them. Not your character. You. (Though there is some internal discussion of allowing basic recipe patterns to be stored somewhere for reference)
Materials come from breaking down items.

I see your concern about everything being useful to everyone - but this was always the case in a system where every weapon would be of value to everyone - before the crafting system was mentioned.
Thank you so much for doing this. Thank you for making systems that don't hold the player's hand, that require and reward investment in the game. Every piece of information that comes out makes me more convinced that with TSW you've managed to combine the best aspects of single player action-adventure games and RPGs with the best aspects of MMOs. I can't wait to try it.

Rktim

Quote:
Nah, don't give us a specific tool to store recipe patterns, just give us a tool that allows for making notes. Give it a simple way to edit or create categories so we can make our own tome of knowledge or reference.

That way we decide if we want to make notes of anything we find interesting, like general clues, lore, stories or where was who when...
Who knows, if we are lucky we will be able to access google docs in the in-game browser and set bookmarks :3

Ithnag

Player Ab Initio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
Who knows, if we are lucky we will be able to access google docs in the in-game browser and set bookmarks :3
oh, right i didn't considered it. But yeah, somethong like that would work

Megachaz

Excellent. Looks like a crafting system I could get into.

JTFinnegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikari View Post
I like the principle, but there is some mayor worry it introduces. Will this system lead to mayor loot-grief and drama? Lets say you are a hammer wielder and in a dungeon with 3 sword guys and an assault rifle player (I know everyone is everything, so call it main spec), now the boss drops "Godslayers Katana of Unimaginable Agony", one of the highest DPS swords in game. (Say "of Pain" is +2% Damage, dropped by random zone mob and this one has +12% damage.) But it has the highest possible damage modifier suffix, that everyone wants. I need it to craft a Hammer of Unimaginable Agony, so does the Assault Rifle Guy. What I mean is, everyone will need everything, especially the best items with the best possible pre and suffix values. Imagine all the drama, because the 3 sword wielders have to compete not just amongst themselves, no the rest needs it too.
What I am hoping they do is similar to what City Of Hero's does. Every time you kill a mob, a series of rolls is made for you and everyone in your party (that is in the zone/instance) to see what, if any, drops you get.

For a made up example, I am on a team with 1 other person, lets call him Bob. I kill a zombie, and the system rolls a random number between 1 and a 1000 for an item drop. If it rolls under 250 I get a common item drop, if it rolls under 100 I get an uncommon item drop. It if rolls under 25 I get a rare drop. It then makes the same roll for Bob.

Meanwhile Bob just killed the boss of the dungeon. The same rolls is made for Bob and myself, but now its 1000 or under common, 500 or under uncommon, 100 or under rare, and 10 or under the ultra rare elite drop.

No loot drama, because what you get has no effect on what everyone else gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
No this is incorrect.
There is not a recipe book. You learn them. Not your character. You. (Though there is some internal discussion of allowing basic recipe patterns to be stored somewhere for reference)
Materials come from breaking down items.

I see your concern about everything being useful to everyone - but this was always the case in a system where every weapon would be of value to everyone - before the crafting system was mentioned.
Just to check, this means that I do not have to have had a character break down an item before I can make it. If I can guess it, or find a recipe on line, and I have the mats, I can make it?

I was assuming that for crafting balance reasons, you would have to learn each recipe on each character before you could make it. I like this in one way, but it means I can't have a semi monopoly on the auction house selling an item that only a few people know how to make.