Ascillian

I tend to stick with a game when I start it. I don't think I have ever had multiple subscriptions to mmo's at the same time. The shortest length of time I was sub'd to a game was probably SWTOR and that was about 3 months or so.

For me, I look back on the games I have played, and if I had a lifetime sub to any of them I would probably hop back in and play them again. Only once have I gone back to a game after letting my sub expire, and that was Everquest.

I think that offering a lifetime at launch will be helpful to the community in the long run. There will always be people who will be committed to a game and who will play from launch, but there will also be people who will wander off after every new game launch (mmo or otherwise...I've raided with people before who let their sub lapse because a new xbox game came out they were going to play obsessively). Almost every summer, game population goes down.

Some of these gamers come back, some get lured away to greener pastures. I bet more people would come back if they knew their gametime was already paid for.

I also know a lot of people will continue to invest in a game beyond sub (or spend the money they would spend on a monthly sub on cash shop type items if their is no sub). I played a f2p game with my husband a while back, and we definitely spent more money on cash shop items (many of which were purely cosmetic) because there was no monthly sub that we had to pay to play the game.

Having had population problems in every mmo I've played in, every guild at one time or another struggling to snatch players from a small player base in order to fill slots of people who had left the game for reasons NOT including not liking the game....anything that encourages people to continue playing a game is a good thing in my book.

Xarvious

I never understood why developers would offer lifetime subs. If the game is a great game and people don't quit early, they lose a ton of money in the long run. Actually hurting the game. Unless they only offer the lifetime sub for a short period (first month of release) then they are shooting themselves in the foot. IE. if everyone were to buy the lifetime sub, they would have no revenue every month after, and once that money is spent, they have no new funds to spend on the game. Aside from cash shop purchases.

Ketorlac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarvious View Post
if everyone were to buy the lifetime sub, they would have no revenue every month after, and once that money is spent, they have no new funds to spend on the game. Aside from cash shop purchases.
You just answered your own question

P0IS0N

I'm really undecided. I'm quite excited about this game, and I try to focus on the good sides, 'cause it has a few bad ones as well.
It looks fresh and different and I would like to play it for a long time. The thing is, it's not the first MMORPG I'm optimistic about, and I had a few that I gave up after a month of play.
The premium lifetime subscription is quite appealing, but I don't really wanna get burned. I would like to give the game a try before that, and I don't mean the beta, but who knows if the lifetime offer will still stand after release.
Also, I didn't notice on the pre-order page, but is there a digital option or just a physical one? 'Cause I would really prefer not to wait for the DVD.

Raiya

Quote:
I never understood why developers would offer lifetime subs. If the game is a great game and people don't quit early, they lose a ton of money in the long run. Actually hurting the game. Unless they only offer the lifetime sub for a short period (first month of release) then they are shooting themselves in the foot. IE. if everyone were to buy the lifetime sub, they would have no revenue every month after, and once that money is spent, they have no new funds to spend on the game. Aside from cash shop purchases.
There are a few reasons.

Of course, there is the ongoing cash shop for future revenue as noted already.

Games offering lifetime subs usually only do so for limited times (like you said...otherwise they would lose out on future ongoing revenue).

Also, lifetime subs help bring in a larger initial cash flow to help offset the development and publishing costs. They know that some players will leave, and new players will join later on. The player base never stays static.

Those of us with lifetime subs who end up playing for virtually free in the future will be offset by the cash shop and newer players who pay monthly
Lsya Raiya

Jonray

Quote:
If everyone were to buy the lifetime sub, they would have no revenue every month after, and once that money is spent, they have no new funds to spend on the game. Aside from cash shop purchases.
First, don't discount expansions. I'm sure the Lifetime sub doesn't mean I'll get every boxed expansion for free. So if they can release an expansion every 18-24 months, there is some ongoing revenue there.

Also, don't discount the cash shop. I ran some numbers using what I suspect would be my spending patterns depending on whether I bought the GM pack or not.

With the GM pack, I figure I could average around $7 per month on the cash shop. If I'm paying a monthly sub, that's likely to drop to $2 per month.

At that rate, it takes closer to 2 years for the non-lifetime option to out perform the Grandmaster pack in terms of revenue for FC.

If they can give me enough goodies (and by that I mean clothes and cool stuff) that I'd spend an average of $9, it takes about 30 months.
The story of David "Daeyong" Young.

spumvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiya View Post
There are a few reasons.

Of course, there is the ongoing cash shop for future revenue as noted already.

Games offering lifetime subs usually only do so for limited times (like you said...otherwise they would lose out on future ongoing revenue).

Also, lifetime subs help bring in a larger initial cash flow to help offset the development and publishing costs. They know that some players will leave, and new players will join later on. The player base never stays static.

Those of us with lifetime subs who end up playing for virtually free in the future will be offset by the cash shop and newer players who pay monthly
Lets not forget that those people with a lifetime sub will stick to the game longer, especially in the first months and thus keep the servers populated. Which is also good to draw new people as no-one wants to buy a game and pay subs when it has empty servers.
I told somebody to be himself
Which turned out to be impossible
Because he was nobody

Lydo

DefaultLifetime subscription - Bad for business?

Not like its my concern, but how well thought the idea of giving players life time sub for 250euro is for long term business. Blizzard still doesnt offer packages like that and they have a ton of players.

How do they keep the game running and where do they get their money?

I think that most likely everyone who finds this game to be their next to keep their hands on for long time is going to end up buying The Grand Master pack. Atleast I would have in the first year of world of warcraft 6 years ago.

NightHawke

Normally, game companies do this for a short time period, or only sell a set number of these. Then they can make their revenue from subscriptions.

Fortunately, there is a microtransaction system for the game.

Stealthsuit

Life time subscription Equals 12 months not 'forever'