eikona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketorlac View Post
Heck, the fact that they are even offering a lifetime subscription means that they worry that most gamers won't stay past 1.5 years..
I don't think this is necessarily true. Lifetime subs are about getting a cash infusion. Usually games launch when they do not because the game is deemed finished but because they have to release sometime and money eventually runs out. Developing a game takes a lot of cash, and development time is largely a large hole. Cash goes in and nothing comes out. Most MMOs don't actually see green for years after they're released.

So offering an incentive for people to dish out large sums of money provides a quickie boost for both launch marketing and to continue working on the game.

Jonray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketorlac View Post
Heck, the fact that they are even offering a lifetime subscription means that they worry that most gamers won't stay past 1.5 years.
I look at it a bit differently. Since I have a lifetime sub, when the 2nd expansion comes out 3 years from now (just to pick some numbers out of the air), I'm more likely to pay the $50 for it since I know I can give it a try without having to keep paying $15 / month for the privelege.

I'm also more likely to spend some money in the cash shop since I won't be sitting there thinking "I'm already spending $15 on TSW ... do I really want to spend $7 more? $22 / month for a game seems awful pricey."

I ran some numbers for myself ...

Since I have the lifetime sub, I figure I'll probably spend on average $5 in the cash shop. Don't really know why, but in games I end up being a sucker for having nice clothes to wear.

If I wasn't buying the GM pack, then I'd probably buy the base game + Initiate ($65), subscribe for $15, and be likely to spend around $2 / month on cash shop on average.

And, I estimated that they'd release the 1st expansion about 18 months from launch.

If I play for 2 years, with the lifetime, I'd end up paying FC $430. Without it, I'd end up spending about $490. So only $60 difference over 2 years.

However, I'm much more likely to keep playing if I don't have to make the financial decision about whether it is worth $15 / month to me or not. And if (heaven forbid) I got bored after a year and that expansion comes out, I'm much more likely to buy it "just to see" than if I don't have the lifetime sub.

So I don't really see it as a big risk to FC (at least for me using my numbers and projected spending habits for myself) to offer the lifetime sub model.
The story of David "Daeyong" Young.

Zahzen

I hope people do understand that a life time subscription doesn't include the cost of future expansions. Yeah when the expansion comes you will have a lifetime sub but until u buy the expansion you wont be playing it. Just like Rise of Godslayer ... or Turan ... you can go and subscribe to AoC now but without buying those xpacs you only get the base game.

Just throwing it out there for who may not know ... correct me if i am wrong.

Colian

Yeah, but expansions are a whole bunch of new content and usually you can still play the *existing* content plus upgrades from Game Updates (ala LOTRO).

AND... If you have a lifetime sub, you could actually wait until the expansion is cheaper to buy and get it then... why rush when you have all the time in the world (or the life of the game, anyway)?

michaelhunter81

Personally, I am up in the air about getting the grand master package. I have been following the game for awhile now, though I never have posted on here; just read things, and it seems like it could be potentially the kind of MMO I have been waiting for. However I am worried that this could end up being another Hellgate: London. I bought a CE and standard edition of the game and 2 life time subs for it, and well I am sure most of you know what happened to that game. If memory serves me right, that's about $400 I lost.

So you can see why I am a bit hesitant. My wife and I both see the potential this game has, but we are both worried about loosing money again on another life time sub.

Amosco

Ab Initio

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhunter81 View Post
However I am worried that this could end up being another Hellgate: London. I bought a CE and standard edition of the game and 2 life time subs for it, and well I am sure most of you know what happened to that game. If memory serves me right, that's about $400 I lost.

So you can see why I am a bit hesitant. My wife and I both see the potential this game has, but we are both worried about loosing money again on another life time sub.
Well, given all the press reports of TSW being an amazing game, all the reports that a majority of Beta Testers have said they would definitely play the game at launch, and Funcom's history of maintaining their MMOs for the long term, I'd say you have less to worry about in purchasing the Grand Master Pack for TSW. Granted, nothing is a 100% sure thing in life, but I give TSW's longevity a score in the high double digits (probably 85-95%).

However, I was just pining for a real Collector's Edition with a TSW T-shirt and Faction Dog Tags like they have handed out for free at conventions. Not all of us could go to PAX East, after all.

JTFinnegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeTCR View Post
the method is similar to other MMO's, then that's $30.00 per 60 days. For $250.00, you get a lifetime sub.
First it is $199.00 for the lifetime. You have to pay the $50 for the game either way. For that 199.00 you also get extra character slot, extra name reserve, starter talismans, xp potions, 10% discount (which will probably end up saving me the cost of the GM pack over the next few years), and a possibly cool snake skin jacket. I would be willing to pay $200 just for the lifetime (as I have done a couple of times) add in all the extras, and IMNSHO its a great deal.

rmoura

just to make things clear(rer):

does the lifetime sub includes all the expansion packs that are certainly going to be released?

gysrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoura View Post
just to make things clear(rer):

does the lifetime sub includes all the expansion packs that are certainly going to be released?
no, but you do not need to buy them in order to continue playing.
if u buy them, u pay just the price (idk 39.90-49.90), but your PLAYTIME stays free..

aznwavez

I think the lifetime sub is worth it. You just have to play on and off for 13-14 months worth of average playtime. What I mean by average playtime is 2-4 hours per night for 13-14 months.

-I've come back to FFXI 3-4 times over the course of 4-6 years.
-Returned to WoW 2x over the course of 5 years.
-Still playing crappy FFXIV and it's almost been years now and I wish I had a lifetime sub. I play it because my best friend plays it and we are hopng it will be good in version 2.0 in December.

With a lifetime sub, I feel as if the burden of having to play every single minute to get my money worth it is lifted. With lifetime I feel like i can play until I'm tired and then play again a few days later with no stress. Alternating games every other day.