Thread Tools

darth kisses

DefaultConfusion: Why is everyone acting like they already have been recruited?

As a table-top role-player, I have been drawn like a moth to flame to this game and its offer of a truly unique computer game meet traditional RPG experience. I am in love with the lore, and politics, and intrigue associated - and i haven't even started playing!

But i am VERY confused as to how the characters that people have created know about "the secret world", already have special powers, and some even know of the "secret" societies. It really baffles me. I was under the impression that at game start, you are a normal, everyday person, living a normal everyday life, that noone has special powers or any "secret world" knowledge. Then, you are actually recruited, in-game. Or am I mistaken in this?

Hoping someone can explain why what I term "Player Knowledge" is already seeping into "Character Knowledge"?

Gideon Cross

You pick your faction in character creation

Luficia

Yeah, its a bit weird but its how people want to play. There has been a lot of role play going on for a good few years on here and they've been fun to watch(I lurked a lot ) and its just the way they want to do. They are that dedicated. Even if the game opens differently, they can then go about how they've been playing.

Me, personally? I plan to wait until the game comes out. I like to have my characters be normal, average people before getting their powers and then into their appropriate secret societies.

darth kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon Cross View Post
You pick your faction in character creation
yeah, but thats Player Knowledge. Your character does not know they are destined to be in that faction, do they?

darth kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luficia View Post
Yeah, its a bit weird but its how people want to play. There has been a lot of role play going on for a good few years on here and they've been fun to watch(I lurked a lot ) and its just the way they want to do. They are that dedicated. Even if the game opens differently, they can then go about how they've been playing.

Me, personally? I plan to wait until the game comes out. I like to have my characters be normal, average people before getting their powers and then into their appropriate secret societies.
Oh, I see... so this has been going on for years, whiling away the time until the game launches?
Yeah, I agree with you. I will just wait and see what happens to my character as it happens. I have deliberately avoided watching any of the starting sequences as I want to be as surprised as she is. I guess, I could relate better to the situation she is in if I am not aware whats happening myself.
Reading these threads had me worried that I missed something, and that i had to have a generated backstory before launch or something.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Guess i'm a bit too realistic when it comes to RP, dont want any contradictions in my story.

Emberlain

Emberlain's Avatar
People can write at whatever stage they want to. Just because our game character gets recruited at character creation after some years of being normal doesn't mean everyone else in the secret world is that way, so out of the game, we can write whatever we like. Or does every TSW-RP character have to have an identical beginning? Do we all have to be young and pretty, too, because the game will probably lack the facilities to make overweight and ugly characters (like every MMO ever bar about two)?

Plenty of NPC stories show people born and raised in Faction families, or who've known of their powers their whole lives, or who were raised by one faction but joined another. We can write characters who are from any facet of the world and faction, not be restricted only to 'player' characters who all have the same starter sequence of events.

Quote:
Oh, I see... so this has been going on for years, whiling away the time until the game launches?
Yes, about 5 or 7 years.
selkie : dragon : fist / elemental


Please don't PM me, my inbox is 'full'/bugged

Bpy6

Bpy6's Avatar
Darth,
It's a thing that happens to every single MMORPG unfortunately. People just treat the game as another setting, ignoring the logical connections in the backstory, and even often treat their in-game actions (quests etc.) as something out of their RP experience.
In every single MMO I've ever played, the majority of roleplayers had been treating the game this way. Sadly, most people just want to share their own stories, instead of interacting with the given environment.

That said, in every MMO I've found groups of people who shared my opinions on roleplay, and I had a lot of fun playing with them.

See you in game, fellow board gamer
9S
www.nine-swords.com

Sonielle Evershine

Sonielle Evershine's Avatar
Just before you decide to carry on saying that everyone 'is doing it wrong' I like to point out a simple fact.
On the main trailer it specifically goes 'anything is possible'.

darth kisses

.... I get the impression you are having a go at me???

As a new member on the forums I was just confused about character creation. I want to be involved in the Role-play community, but was confused why a lot of characters seemed so well established in this world, before the game started... Like i said, I was just clarifying whether I needed to come up with such a descriptive backstory or not. As someone new to this game, it is confusing to be told you are not yet recruited in one place, yet to read some people are in another...

I am sorry that this is obviously a problem for you.
Is the whole RP community like you? You certainly have not made me feel very welcome.

darth kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpy6 View Post
Darth,
It's a thing that happens to every single MMORPG unfortunately. People just treat the game as another setting, ignoring the logical connections in the backstory, and even often treat their in-game actions (quests etc.) as something out of their RP experience.
In every single MMO I've ever played, the majority of roleplayers had been treating the game this way. Sadly, most people just want to share their own stories, instead of interacting with the given environment.

That said, in every MMO I've found groups of people who shared my opinions on roleplay, and I had a lot of fun playing with them.

See you in game, fellow board gamer
Thanks so much for your understanding!

Yes, I am very much into using the plot devices that the Dungeon (Game) Master (DM/GM) throws at me AS my character story. In this case I see the game as the DM/GM and I just cannot ignore the parts that dont work. I dont get to decide what will happen to me tommorrow, so i cant let my character decide what happens to her...

As I said, I guess i am just a more serious roleplayer and want a more realsitic gaming experience. Not that what evryone in these RP threads are doing is wrong, just obviously not for me
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.