StrangeCase

Most of us are adults. We can work out who gets what. They might even have a DDO system where it pre-generates loot that only your character can pick up, and the matter closes there.

JerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahzen View Post
Hmm .. let me build a scenario. You and your Cabalies (guildies ) are a man short and need a heal specced person and find a PuG healer. You successfully kill the boss and the boss drops a cool DPS sword which would perfectly be good for your guildmate the DPSer. But the Healer out of nowhere also rolls Need because he can (it's useful for him) and wants to break the Sword down so he can get the mats to create something for his own alternative build or his healing build. Or probably he says he DPS's in PvP but heals in PvE and thus rolled need and got it. Will that be acceptable or should the healer pass for the DPS sword?
don't have need or greed just random rolls, nothing to argue over then.

KajanKhemnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahzen View Post
Hmm .. let me build a scenario. You and your Cabalies (guildies ) are a man short and need a heal specced person and find a PuG healer. You successfully kill the boss and the boss drops a cool DPS sword which would perfectly be good for your guildmate the DPSer. But the Healer out of nowhere also rolls Need because he can (it's useful for him) and wants to break the Sword down so he can get the mats to create something for his own alternative build or his healing build. Or probably he says he DPS's in PvP but heals in PvE and thus rolled need and got it. Will that be acceptable or should the healer pass for the DPS sword?
I would apply the same logic my guild currently applies in LOTRO:

within the guild I would expect a player that mainly does other things then DPS to leave a DPS item to the player that mainly DPSes.
if however we are in a mixed group, then everyone has the same right to the loot: everyone rolles: if the guest wins, his luck (no matter if the item is for his main build or some off build), if anyone from the guild wins - distribute within the guild as per usual (so the item does not necessarily go to the person that won the roll)

Elthar

I think there will be no problem. You can set the loot to be random, round robin, whatever you want and people can trade the items they donīt want or are interested with other people later. Your bad loot can be a good loot to other people and I supose not every item can provide material to all other crafting "recipe", it seems the weapons are grouped by similarity and maybe the material they provide will be usefull only for the same kind of item not for all.

Sometimes you group people you donīt know and I had good surprises with lots of players acting with courtesy and had no problems in many games before. For many times we shared items after the final battle or when doing pauses.

Oh, there are bad people everywhere but trust me, with the time they become more and more rejected by the community and if you have a good game community you donīt need to worry about.

For people that thinks only in "being cool" or "being hardcore" or "I have the best" then I can bet this game will disappoint many of them, first of all they will not be able to "level cap" the game. Second, with no class system and the way it is possible you fit your skills I donīt think will be possible to say "oh, this build is better" then the way you play will be always better if you are satisfied with that. And last with open crafting system as it seems, will be very hard you talk about "end game" weapon/armor, it does not depend only on the quality as your skills have a big influence over the weapon you use.

Well, for now I am suposing this will happen, maybe I am wrong, I hope no.

dirtyklingon

what we did in rift was

you can only "auto" roll need if it's an upgrade for the role you are currently playing in that dungeon.

if it's an upgrade for an offrole (say you are dpsing in this run and you want to build your tank set up) you ASK if you can roll on it. the other players in the dungeon run have to agree to let you have it.

we were regarded as the most fair guild on teh server for our loot rules in both 5man and world raid content as a result of these and other policies. although we did have some issues with daggers/leather and warriors due to poor itemization/stat stuff on the part of devs.(if you played rift in the first few months you'll know what i mean)

in swtor with a companion of every type for most classes that utliamtely every base stat would be useful in some way for any class really, we did something similar as rift but instead of asking for off specs we would require people to ask for companion upgrade need rolls.

so basically how i would apply this to tsw is - you are tank you can roll need on upgrades aimed at tanks, if you are dps you roll need on dps upgrades(that you can use now ie if you have no blood magic in your current spec, you don't roll on bloodmagic totems.) and so on.

if it's for a spec you didn't use in this dungeon o ron this boss, you ASK the other guys, and be a grown up about it if someone needs on it for a current spec. or someone needs against you for their own offspecs.

Kazzamo

The answer is simple. Don't PUG. Even in games with classes and such you'll still get people that roll "need" on everything.

Lambchopz

I doubt this will be a huge problem in TSW. No matter what you do, if you have a typical drop system (IE, mobs only drop one set of items that has to be somehow divied up between team mates) you will always have these issues.

I see your point with the fact that technically in TSW anybody on the team can realistically and justifiably say "I need that" to just about any drop, but I'm fairly sure Funcom is aware of this possible problem. They've already taken the initiative to do a few balancing things in regards to gear, IE the weapon skills to try and minimize low-level twinking or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few ideas in mind to make this process less painful, as well.

I have a strong suspicion people are over-estimating how big of a problem this type of thing will be. Yes, you will have trolls and jackasses who are only concerned with grinding the best of the best gear, but this game is not catering to that type of player, and that type of player is almost ALWAYS a minority anyways. You'd be surprised how many PuGs you will find in MMOs, particularly niche MMOs, that you find some nice people in who are willing to pitch in just because it's the right thing to do.
Katrina "Katalyst" Kruschevitz - Dragon/Cerberus
.PathLess.
harmonia avia lustrat chao ad finem
|| pvp || pve ||

Jojin

It is part of playing a game with other people. There doesn't need to be some complex self assignment system. Talk with your group mates and decide how to trade or divide things.

If you get someone who's a jerk about it, then just don't invite them back.

In all the games I have played, those people who are greedy and inconsiderate find themselves on the outside. The social stigma quickly spreads and the person either changes their behavior, leaves or plays alone a lot.

JerryC

I think its really stupid to go "you only get gear for the role your playing". This then puts you in the position of hard to group games with traditional classes. People who normally dps for instance aren't then going to switch to a tank roll so you can get on your way as they will only be able to roll on tank gear

Need or greed is just really stupid in tsw, it only makes sense within hardcore pve progression guilds. For pugs, casual guilds and pvp guilds totaly random distribution with abilty to swap items afterwards makes much more sense.

Ryahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajanKhemnen View Post
I would apply the same logic my guild currently applies in LOTRO:

within the guild I would expect a player that mainly does other things then DPS to leave a DPS item to the player that mainly DPSes.
if however we are in a mixed group, then everyone has the same right to the loot: everyone rolles: if the guest wins, his luck (no matter if the item is for his main build or some off build), if anyone from the guild wins - distribute within the guild as per usual (so the item does not necessarily go to the person that won the roll)
I pretty much take this position. If you need a pug to make a group, then its not a cabal group anymore. Everyone gets a shot at items.

If you want reservations, run in cabal only groups.

When in Rome...