Socrates

Default****SPOILER****They Are Coming Back (How it was Solved)

(Author's note: The following is an attempt to show the sequence of how the puzzle was ultimately solved.

Readers should note that the people who are mentioned that posted the answers to the clues were just a small portion of the players who participated in the effort. In such an effort the game is advanced by many people failing and posting what did not work and such is just as important as what is finally revealed to be the correct answers. For doing such shows what is a dead end and frees everyone from dwelling on what has already proved not to work.

Also sometimes someone will post an unrelated fact or piece of information that sparks a new line of inquiry. Many such incidents occurred during the effort to solve the riddles. Congrats to all who participated. And many thanks to the Puppetmaster and all the folks at Funcom for such an engaging game.)

First a Challenge was issued in this thread: They Are Coming Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apis View Post
The hour has arrived. No more pretenders. We are gathering. Quietly. Secretly. Dark days are coming and the fate of this world is at stake.

The hour has arrived. Prove yourself.
The link in "Prove yourself" leads to a Video.

The video has several bits of text flashed onto the screen:

Apoction was first to post a pic that Identified the text was the Alphabet of the Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoction View Post
JACKPOT!

http://www.fontriver.com/i/maps/alph...e_magi_map.png

The Alphabet of the Magi
Soo, the "codes" translate as follows (letters with commas have multiple meanings):

S---A-----E
A---R-----C
U,V-S-----S
N---I,J,Y--R
T---F,P,Ph-T
C---O-----E
Enix1 posted the following translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enix1 View Post
Wow awesome find Apoction! I got the letters S A e A r c(u,v or w) S S N ( i or j) r t p t C o e
Makaruda was the first to post the proper arrangement of the letters which spelled sanctuaryofsecrets.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaruda View Post
Letters are anagram of sanctuary of secrets. Go to www.sanctuaryofsecrets.com
The link sanctuaryofsecrets.com led to flash site that showed a circle of 6 lighted cubes surrounding a darker cube in the center.

Socrates

(Author's note: The following is an attempt to show the sequence of how the puzzle was ultimately solved.

Readers should note that the people who are mentioned that posted the answers to the clues were just a small portion of the players who participated in the effort. In such an effort the game is advanced by many people failing and posting what did not work and such is just as important as what is finally revealed to be the correct answers. For doing such shows what is a dead end and frees everyone from dwelling on what has already proved not to work.

Also sometimes someone will post an unrelated fact or piece of information that sparks a new line of inquiry. Many such incidents occurred during the effort to solve the riddles. Congrats to all who participated. And many thanks to the Puppetmaster and all the folks at Funcom for such an engaging game.)

Quote:
The hour has arrived. No more pretenders. We are gathering. Quietly. Secretly. Dark days are coming and the fate of this world is at stake.

Apoction was first to post a pic that Identified the text was the Alphabet of the Magi

Quote:
JACKPOT!

The Alphabet of the Magi
Soo, the "codes" translate as follows (letters with commas have multiple meanings):

S---A-----E
A---R-----C
U,V-S-----S
N---I,J,Y--R
T---F,P,Ph-T
C---O-----E

Quote:
Wow awesome find Apoction! I got the letters S A e A r c(u,v or w) S S N ( i or j) r t p t C o e
Makaruda was the first to post the proper arrangement of the letters which spelled sanctuaryofsecrets.com

Quote:
The link sanctuaryofsecrets.com led to flash site that showed a circle of 6 lighted cubes surrounding a darker cube in the center.

Socrates

Quote:

Quote:
JACKPOT!

The Alphabet of the Magi

S---A-----E
A---R-----C
U,V-S-----S
N---I,J,Y--R
T---F,P,Ph-T
C---O-----E

Quote:

Quote:

Socrates

Clicking each of the lighted cubes revealed 6 seperate puzzles.

The 1st puzzle solved was Thy Mother's Burden:

Vallikat posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallikat View Post
I did a google search for two birds and a serpent. At first I found a junk site that said something about two eagles and a serpent meeting at the center of the earth. Then with a search on that I found this site:

"http://cointrade.awardspace.com/MasonicKnowledge/SLANG.html"

and this section:

"
In Greek mythology also, the snake plays an important role. It is said that the Zeus freed eagles at each end of the world. The place where these two eagles met was the center of the world, the center of the earth. This center, sometimes called the navel of the earth, is guarded by a snake, called Pytho. Above this navel the Oracle of Delphi, called Pythia, was constructed. We see this Oracle play an important role in the life of Pythagoras."

A further search confirmed that the navel of the earth is said to be Delphi.

I put "delphi" into the box and revealed a crescent moon.

Socrates

Quote:
I did a google search for two birds and a serpent. At first I found a junk site that said something about two eagles and a serpent meeting at the center of the earth. Then with a search on that I found this site:

and this section:

"
In Greek mythology also, the snake plays an important role. It is said that the Zeus freed eagles at each end of the world. The place where these two eagles met was the center of the world, the center of the earth. This center, sometimes called the navel of the earth, is guarded by a snake, called Pytho. Above this navel the Oracle of Delphi, called Pythia, was constructed. We see this Oracle play an important role in the life of Pythagoras."

Socrates

Quote:

and this section:

"

Socrates

The 2nd puzzle solved was "The Pillars Fall":

Yume posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
For Black 4 5 / 2 6 2 3 6 9 and (north) 12 / 1 9 5 5 7 7: Lat 45.262369, Long 12.195577...

Here's the lat/long map -- VENICE! They meet in Venice! Gets you the sign for Venus.

Now for the others!

Socrates

Quote:
For Black 4 5 / 2 6 2 3 6 9 and (north) 12 / 1 9 5 5 7 7: Lat 45.262369, Long 12.195577...

Here's the lat/long map -- VENICE! They meet in Venice! Gets you the sign for Venus.

Now for the others!

Socrates

Quote:

Now for the others!

Socrates

The 3rd puzzle solved was "Pattern Recognition":

Apoction posted the following:

Quote:
Holy crap.

Got the equation... Flower of life

I'll post how I got it in a second!

Quote:
Ok, here's the research, thanks to you guy here.

Basically, I redrew this in Illustrator (you can see the original with my overlay), and started spinning it, I've labled the itterations.

I then started with the center circle and noticed that they all seem to flow outward, from there, it was to isolate them in a less messy form and presto!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/...d9766285_o.jpg

Oh and it's not perfect, the way I drew it, but good enough right! Really credit is due to the folks that pointed out the circular and hex relation based on crunching numbers, from there I just built it visually.

Here's the rotation of 60 degree version for kicks...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/...29bd781d74.jpg