Emberlain

If your character is an atheist, keep it quiet - punishable by fine, imprisonment and corporal punishment in England and Wales, by death in Scotland. This is only for blasphemy, though, so as long as you don't parade around talking about it you should be OK

Catholics, you would have had a hard time of it, as anti-Catholic laws were intensified in 1700.

After being expelled in 1290, which was repealed, by 1690 only 400 Jews had been readmitted to England. A Hebrew printing press was opened in 1705 and in 1723 they were permitted to own land using an edited oath omitting the 'upon the faith of a Christian' part, but I imagine life was not easy in 1714.
selkie : dragon : fist / elemental

Please don't PM me, my inbox is 'full'/bugged

Wibe

Can I presume the setting's going to be England then? In countries like France you'd be pretty discriminated against if you were protestant, or Jewish. Assuming the same applies for other Latin-speaking (and catholic in general) countries.

As for blasphemy; more harshly punished, but I would guess it played much the same role as sexual words does in English today. I doubt they were all soft spoken and inoffensive back then, especially among the peasantry. It's all about knowing when you can get away with it

I wouldn't be surprised if Americans are the reason for the change from religious to sexual, as they have traditionally been more accepting differing religious views, whereas in (for instance) Norway, where religious tolerance is a more recent change there is much higher emphasis or religious swear-words than sexual ones. Though that's quickly changing as secularism is becoming more and more prominent.

All largely guesswork, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm on to something

Cerberus
Elemental / Guns
Annelies "Nellie" VanEtten
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'

DeeMarie

I'd assume that if you're part of a secret society doing secrety things around Europe, you wouldn't be proclaiming your religion to authorities likely to arrest you for it

Wibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMarie View Post
I'd assume that if you're part of a secret society doing secrety things around Europe, you wouldn't be proclaiming your religion to authorities likely to arrest you for it
That's what I'm aiming for with my character at least; identify as whatever isn't gonna get you flogged and/or imprisoned.

Cerberus
Elemental / Guns
Annelies "Nellie" VanEtten
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'

Emberlain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibe View Post
Can I presume the setting's going to be England then?
No it's all over Europe. I'm just a bit better at Googling and understanding English history than other countries. If you end up in, I dunno, Southern Greece... just make it up For France, Spain and other more Google-friendly countries, you'll need to search. I just figure if someone wants to make a Priest's Daughter/Jewish merchant/Outspoken Atheism Campaigner, they'd best just hope they don't get sent to a country where it'll make life awkward for them

Obviously it's unlikely any of this will come up. Someone might want to give their character an unusual edge by giving them a difficult religion they may have to hide on their travels more than they hide their skills, but most might just avoid mention of it, or work it in in a fairly innocuous manner. TSWers/factionites might even pretend to be the safest religion, in an effort to keep the peace and avoid attracting attention.

Veerdin Wraith

Just finished most of a character sheet.

Hopefuly my sharpshooing ex-soldier scoundrel will have a fun time with this story.
♫~I'm diggin' a hole, so the rain gets in, to stop my mind from fluttering~♫
ILLUMINATI -- Atticus "Spellslinger" Flare -- ARCADIA
Roleplay bio -- Chronical

JayBrand

This is gonna be an insane challenge...I got only today to get a char created and I'm attending a kiddie birthday today :/

And in one week I'm starting a new job so not sure how much time THAT will take considering I'm gonna try and read up on stuff for that as well.

BUT I'll try to see what I can get ready and hope for the best.
Pax Agnitio - A division of the Pax Gaming community
Jayson "JayBrand" Brand: Lead Rector of Pax Agnitio

Paxgaming.com|Recruitment Thread|How to Join|The Chronicle
Illuminati - RP/PVE/PVP

DeeMarie

Considering how many magic users operate within societies, religion might be the least of your issues if you start creating sparkly miracles...hello burnty stake!

Of course, who is to say those powerful clerics aren't part of those societies...

Did we ban time travelling too?

Emberlain

'Fraid so. I am mean. Partly because it's a bit of an easy way out ("I learned all this awesome stuff in 2012 and am thus better than you peasants, and I don't have typhoid") and partly because actual 1714 characters don't want to spend half their stories writing how confused they are at Foxy Hotpants talking about how she's going to put all this on Youtube and popping Valium.

Obviously no one would write that, but a modern character placed in the setting would be a whole different kettle of fish, and any 1700er paired up with a 2000er would have three times the work of two 1700ers (who at least both smell the same).

StrangeCase

I'm considering joining. And I'm considering using a slightly backdated version of my old Call of Cthulhu character, Lord Wilbus Darrenforth-Smythe III. In Call of Cthulhu, he had a loyal manservant called Richards - would that be allowed in this tournament?

EDIT: And oh yes, would there be a problem with him being a member of the House of Lords?

....I'm starting to think that my history is failing me as I'm not even sure whether parliament was established in the 18th century...

EDIT: Yes, it was. I feel slightly foolish.