Norali85

DefaultBuild calculator

I am currently working on a build calculator, though simulator might be more accurate, that will evaluate different mechanics, DPS, survivability, etc, though right now it is using placeholder skills and mechanics rather than the true ones. I will fetch more information about gameplay this weekend, or so is my intention.

However, what would you desire from such a simulator? Ability to check efficiency of a rotation? Estimate survivability against some theoretical monster? Feel free to say whatever you so desire, though I make no promise as to actually implement it ,

And yes, I am a power builder, I only consider it natural to try to be as powerful as possible.

Amosco

Ab Initio

Well, can you test abilities against the mobs in the Crucible? Then you don't have to worry about the defenses of mobs in the wild.

I would be happy with just maximum theoretical damage/healing/survivability stats for comparison.

tahrakaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norali85 View Post
I am currently working on a build calculator, though simulator might be more accurate, that will evaluate different mechanics, DPS, survivability, etc, though right now it is using placeholder skills and mechanics rather than the true ones. I will fetch more information about gameplay this weekend, or so is my intention.

However, what would you desire from such a simulator? Ability to check efficiency of a rotation? Estimate survivability against some theoretical monster? Feel free to say whatever you so desire, though I make no promise as to actually implement it ,

And yes, I am a power builder, I only consider it natural to try to be as powerful as possible.
To each his own. I consider it natural to play as what you think is the most fun for you personally. If this happens to be playing the most powerful thing you can think of, then that's fine. If it's not, that's fine too.

EDIT: Oh and as for the OP question, I don't really have any input. Not really my thing. I'm more of a trial and error type player, trying what I think sounds cool. If it turns out it isn't then I'll switch. If I like it, I'll keep it. I don't care for max/min.

Norali85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
Well, can you test abilities against the mobs in the Crucible? Then you don't have to worry about the defenses of mobs in the wild.

I would be happy with just maximum theoretical damage/healing/survivability stats for comparison.
True. I can, but it isn't quite the same thing. Not sure if I can return to Crucible later and anyway it is easier to just let the program do the calculations rather than mash at a monster for a few minutes. Easier to switch out skills too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahrakaii
To each his own. I consider it natural to play as what you think is the most fun for you personally. If this happens to be playing the most powerful thing you can think of, then that's fine. If it's not, that's fine too.

EDIT: Oh and as for the OP question, I don't really have any input. Not really my thing. I'm more of a trial and error type player, trying what I think sounds cool. If it turns out it isn't then I'll switch. If I like it, I'll keep it. I don't care for max/min.
I am just the kind of person who like to play with a goal in mind. Let's say I want some elite tier 2 ability from hammers and some stuff from assault rifles, well, then I want to get that asap, not waste points on not necessary stuff. It happen that I start over from beginning (for example in KOTOR, misplaced a point into heavy armor... ) when I notice that I have misplaced points, not as bad in Secret World since you can get everything, but still... it bugs me when I do bad choices ,

Of course I will play builds that I consider fun, but I want them to be strong too.

blackbrrd

I would probably like to check: burst dps, sustained dps, dps vs single mobs, dps vs x number of mobs.

I would also like to configure it to select what monster I am trying to take down since crits and such depend on the monster.

I really like the idea, much better than addind a dps meter to the game.

Norali85

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrrd View Post
I would probably like to check: burst dps, sustained dps, dps vs single mobs, dps vs x number of mobs.

I would also like to configure it to select what monster I am trying to take down since crits and such depend on the monster.

I really like the idea, much better than addind a dps meter to the game.
Yes, a graph would be neat. DPS vs x number of mobs, also neat. I need data for a lot of the mechanics though for any reliable simulation, like avoid, dodge, block, defense, mitigation of all kinds - both player- and mobside. As of right now I don't have that data.

My grand goal is that you manipulate sliders that toggle preference of single target dps, aoe dps, tank and healing, pick preferred weaponry, and the software output a few recommended builds, but that is far far far far far far far far far far away. For now basic calculations will suffice.

Heinz

I just want a complet weapons efects / Anima skills list

I just want table where i can read,compare the whole tsw weaps/skills arsenal

There was one i saw once but in that time i had not even a clue of what that was about,much b4 OB release

the9thcircle

If I were you I would probably start with something like http://www.simulationcraft.org/ which is open source (and has been modified to handle some swtor classes as well) rather than write the whole thing from scratch.

The big problem with doing this now is that we don't really know enough about the combat system to do serious theory crafting yet. For instance there 3 values that seem to contribute to weapon damage and we can see that different abilities scale at different rates. Which means the first task is to figure out what the basic daage function is... fitting based on the limited data I have didn't yield any plausible results and probably can't since we are stuck in the shallow end of the pool.

We also don't know how pen rating corresponds to pen chance or how penetrating attacks effect damage output.

More broadly... abilities interact in complex ways, so finding local optimums will be easy but finding the global optimums is going to require SA or something similar which is much more complex to implement.

Sneakybuffalo

Where are you getting the numbers to create a simulator? Are you just compiling your own combat/stat data and running regressions? Did you data mine them?

Just saying that a simulator is useless unless its accurate. Want to make sure your tool is valid

the9thcircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakybuffalo View Post
Where are you getting the numbers to create a simulator? Are you just compiling your own combat/stat data and running regressions? Did you data mine them?

Just saying that a simulator is useless unless its accurate. Want to make sure your tool is valid
Just FYI, the Beta Weekend EULA explicitly forbade data mining.